Card reader recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

vroom1

Nov 14, 2007
hi cser, pls recommend me a external card reader which can read Compact Flash.

budget ard 10-15. speed and look doesn't matter as long as it's reliable.

thanks. :)

what type of CF are u using? those ultra II, extreme types or ?

may have to fork out up to 30 bucks if ur CFs are the faster type (brand is GRAB)... readers for those very normal type of CF would be cheaper IIRC..

sandisk extreme II

um, i think its ultra II or extreme III/IV , no extreme II ..

but anyway, at minimum should be 20+ ? check if the reader supports Ultra/extreme cards..

you can say speed doesnt matter.. i have a iomega 7in1 reader.. to transfer 2gb of pics from the ultra II card, it showed 30mins + required..

hmm so wat card reader do u recommend? price range ard $20-25

not extremely fast read/write speed just average speed

If you just want avg speed, use your camera and cable lo

If you just want avg speed, use your camera and cable lo

According to a Canon Service Technician I know, it is not advisable to transfer your images to your PC using you camera as a reader/writer. The reason he gave is simple. The copper tracks on the camera's main PCB are thinner than your hair. If you plug and unplug the USB cable too frequently, chances that the tracks break from the connector is very high.

In fact, if anyone is experiencing intermittent camera shutdowns, the copper tracks are most likely damaged.

Go to Best bargain in SLS 5th floor, they are selling a Kingston multi card reader that takes CF cards and even SDHC cards for $15.

hmm so wat card reader do u recommend? price range ard $20-25

not extremely fast read/write speed just average speed

go to Challenger, look/ask around for the "GRAB" brand of multi card reader .. decent transfer speed ...

the actual sandisk card reader, i believe, starts at 50 plus for the ultra II reader to over 100 for the extreme III/IV ..

but anyway, at minimum should be 20+ ? check if the reader supports Ultra/extreme cards..

you can say speed doesnt matter.. i have a iomega 7in1 reader.. to transfer 2gb of pics from the ultra II card, it showed 30mins + required..

ah bro... how to know if it supports ultra II and Ex III? Got one reader from hk... but it reads everything except the CF cards... SD card class 4 also can read..... hai...

erh... see if got CF slot lor.. but then to see if it supports those speed for the ultra/extreme cards, u need to see the manual or the back of the packing...

does it mean if it cannot support the speed... it can't even read the card? i don't need the high speed... but it can't even read the card... sigh... considering to buy a geniune sandisk reader already... don't want to kill the usb port of my camera...

does it mean if it cannot support the speed... it can't even read the card? i don't need the high speed... but it can't even read the card... sigh... considering to buy a geniune sandisk reader already... don't want to kill the usb port of my camera...

i believe it can read lah .. my old 7 in 1 iomega can read the ultra II card, but to transfer 2Gb, it will take at least 30mins.. go to challenger, ask them for CF card reader lor.. the OEM brand (GRAB) i bought supports upto Extreme III cards.. cost only $25..

sandisk extreme USB2 card readers will be at least $60 onwards.. the firewire version will be $100+

hi
just got my dslr and a lexar umda 300x 4gb cf. tried a few $10-20 card readers and they all cant detect the card. does the GRAB one or teh kingston multi reader do the job?
thanks lots

hi
just got my dslr and a lexar umda 300x 4gb cf. tried a few $10-20 card readers and they all cant detect the card. does the GRAB one or teh kingston multi reader do the job?
thanks lots

the kingston one do detects it... is it the silver one??? if it is den i had been using it for a few years liao... doesn't give me any problem at all...

There is this Prolink multi-card reader that accepts CF, SD, xD and MS. I think that'd be enough for normal applications.

hi
thanks lots

There are many in the market. Look around at Funan Center or SLS.

I believe bro vroom1 is refering to the card reader...

Get the Sandisk Extreme 2.0 it takes CF I/CF II/SD/SDHC/MS Pro/MS Pro/MS Pro Duo cards. In the long term it is worth it especially when you are downloading hundreds of photos in sizes of gigabytes at the end a photo shoot. Transfer speed is very fast. Bought it at 40ish at AP last year.

Don't stinge on the card reader. A good quality reader will last you many years, ensure compatibility, and a decently fast transfer rate. You buy a cheap $10-20 one, decide its no good, then may need to spend $40 on a proper reader anyway.

I also say the SanDisk Extreme readers are really good. Definitely worth it!

Status
Not open for further replies.