Carbon Footprint

Gangru

Oct 28, 2009
SG
Hi Everyone,

Your critique helps me grow in photography

My last post showed me I have a lot to improve upon.:embrass:

This time the public holiday gave me a chance to come up with a concept and time to shoot.

4651887573_afb1ed8dcf_b.jpg

1. in what area is critique to be sought?

Composition, Exposure, Message trying to portray, PP(Some cloning done, would like to know whether it is ok)

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

To portray the effect of industrialization on our environment. Hope this is a graphic representation of that.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

This picture was taken in Labrador park during sunset. A 3 stop ND Filter was used. This is my first time doing long exposure photography. Inspired by Bro Thomas AKA Soulfly and Night86mare. Slow shutter speeds to accentuate the cloud and smoke movement.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture

One possible weakness in this composition might be the jetty on the right side. Not expert enough to clone that away. Think that I have captured the carbon foot print with the treatment of blacks and whites. There were some cloning done to remove some artifacts.

Hello there!

First impression: Very nicely done. However, of course there are some certain details that could have made the piece stronger.

You've mentioned that the jetty was in the way and therefore ruining the composition somewhat. I say that the jetty actually helps because it does not make the image completely barren. If you were to remove the jetty, the image will only work if the industrial area in the background were slightly bigger, because right now it's pretty small (could almost pass off as part of the grey-sky), and being one of central focus, it should be more slightly obvious.

I like how the water looks like smoke: It's kind of like how the world is covered in it, and only the industrial sectors are looming over the horizon above all the toxicity. I think that could justify why the jetty could be there too.

The lighting, I feel is just right, not too bright and not too dark. Maybe you could brighten it a little bit more slightly, but it's good either way!

Finally, you say you're not expert enough with the cloning... I say, attempt to clone out the jetty as practice then! That's the only way you're gonna get better at it anyway. ;)

Cheers!

Thanks for your inputs man. Much Appreciated!!!

In contrary, I find that the jetty by the side adds to the image. It might have been better if you could take the photo from a slightly higher or lower angle such that the top of the jetty does not align with the horizon. Noticed that there are quite a few spots of dust/dirt on the image, you might be having dust on your sensor or in your lens. Removing the dust from the image via photoshop should be easy. Good attempt, keep shooting :)

Thanks for your comments. Noted the point on different perspectives. Much Appreciated!!:)

by no means i'm a serious photographer, but here's what i feel from your picture as an audience..

water, sky, clouds, horizon.. all in perfect harmony, together with the industrial area, = exactly what you wanna show in this pic..

but the jetty was kinda extra and it blocks the main part of the industrial area, which i hope to be slightly bigger to show the theme..