Carbon Fibre Tripods

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastwest

Sep 20, 2006
As far as I understand it, the heavier the tripod the better stability it gives you. I also understand that carbon fibre is extremely strong (and light) but does it give the stability of a heavier tripod? Or do you have to weigh it down with camera bag to ensure an equivalent stability.

Going travelling in the summer and my current Gitzo is a 'git' to carry about. Thinking of getting a CF replacement but not if it's going to be unstable.

I believe you still have to weight down the tripod if you are using those light-weight CF tripod. without weight even if it is made of diamond, the wind will still able to do some vibration on it..

yup, thats why those carbon fibre tripods usually have a hook under the centre column to let u hang ur camera bag there.

i think my 190prob has the best combination, its not too heavy but still heavy enough to provide some stabalisation.

I remember there was some testing done on CF tripods. The conclusion is that CF absorbs vibrations better than alu.

I remember there was some testing done on CF tripods. The conclusion is that CF absorbs vibrations better than alu.
I guess thats only for ground vibration... it will still be the same if there is wind... :bsmilie:

Actually it's for vibrations from the mirror slap of the camera. Bigger cameras / Pro bodies tends to have a stronger mirror slap for some reason I can't comprehend.

CF is better in most ways - it's stronger, lighter, and reduces vibrations more..

but with normal physics sense, never try to have a set-up that's too top-heavy, esp in windy conditions. That's asking for trouble.. for eg, if u look into gitzo's catalogue, they recommend using at least series 2 tripods for 200mm. The GT2530 is rated to carry 12kg, but with a 200mm lens, the setup can never get that heavy...

basically, CF is stiffer and lighter than aluminium, basalt, magnesium... like others have mentioned, have to weigh the tripod down, but then again you should weigh down tripods made from the other materials as well... weighing down tripod is not just to add downward force to the tripod but also to lower centre of gravity of the setup...

Actually it's for vibrations from the mirror slap of the camera. Bigger cameras / Pro bodies tends to have a stronger mirror slap for some reason I can't comprehend.

These cameras usually come with mirror lock up or mirror pre-fire, so vibration from mirror is not an issue.

Thanks for all the useful info. Think I might have to get a CF one for my upcoming Tibet trip as weight will be an issue.

Thanks for all the useful info. Think I might have to get a CF one for my upcoming Tibet trip as weight will be an issue.

Get the Benro CF tripods. *CHEAP* I brought the C-298 to my recent trip to Siem Reap. Else, I'll have problem getting to Kbal Spean, Phnom Kulen and Beng Melea! :)

If you are doing Borobudur, just let me know. Weekends will be the best!

Make sure you get one that is feels durable too, because it's probably not going to be in the bag while you trek or climb up. Likely, it is going to be your walking stick too!!! Well, not to abuse it but just providing abit of support and i also use it to prod 'black ice' to see if the ground is slippery or not. For the record, not recommended.

I use a Manfrotto CF, but i've heard that Benro is value for money. Of course, getting a good head is also just as important.

I've got a Feisol CF tripod, and it's been quite fine to use to me. Consider investing more in a sturdy one that you can keep for the rest of your life while doing photography, because tripods can't become obsolete!

steadiness isn't just about the weight. CF tripods resist vibration (are better damped?) than metal ones. tap/knock one and see how fast it stops shaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.