Carbon fibre and sea water

alvinlovesu

Jun 16, 2009
I've recently upgraded from an aluminium tripod to a carbon fibre one. With the two-fold increment in investment, i have become more cautious when using my tripod. ;p

I shoot plenty in and around the sea with my old tripod and hope to do so with the new one.

So what says you when it comes to carbon fibre and sea water? Im guessing the only adverse reaction would be sand + grease at the leg joints. Otherwise, i should be expecting a corrosive free experience with the CF tripod?

Is your tripod the Gitzo Ocean Traveller? :dunno:

Normally, the two-fold investment should make you less worried, and trust your gear more.

@ismokeweed79 alas no, just a run-of-the-mill sirui im afriad. hahaha.

@Rashkae yeah~ i think its the new toy syndrome lar, pamper for a few weeks then totally trash the hell out of it. But im more concerned about permanent adverse effects when carbon fibre meets seawater, will it structurally degrade or would damages be superficial at best?

I've recently upgraded from an aluminium tripod to a carbon fibre one. With the two-fold increment in investment, i have become more cautious when using my tripod. ;p

I shoot plenty in and around the sea with my old tripod and hope to do so with the new one.

So what says you when it comes to carbon fibre and sea water? Im guessing the only adverse reaction would be sand + grease at the leg joints. Otherwise, i should be expecting a corrosive free experience with the CF tripod?

Think u worry too much.. Think of the gd shots u might miss if you have to worry abt all these at the time of shoot :)

fyi, i sinked my Gitzo GT2531 Explorer into Sea Water and Mud every week.. 2/3 of it in if i have to..

i've been using my sirui cf tripod on sea sand and sea water and no issues so far...

I think carbon fibre legs should be fine since it's basically plastic ie, polymer. However I'd be concerned about screws, nuts, whatever that may corrode. If you have steel screws/nuts, you may have to replace it with aluminum ones.

CF or aluminum, what really bugs me is the cleaning part. I just hate it when there's sand stuck inside the tubes and have to dismantle the tripod to rid the legs off remaining sand particles. My solution is I use those umbrella plastic tubes we get right before we enter malls (not really sure what it's called, sorry) and insert my tripod legs in it before I dip the tripod in saltwater. Saves me the hassle of cleaning, and the best part is come upgrade time, it's easier to sell off because I took care of it well.

Last edited:
Mine goes into saltwater brackish water freshwater n sulfur hotsprings.. ( still working, not able to change new tripod ... )

Ryan

Weakness of Carbon Fibre:
- UV light
- Strong in only 1 direction (shatters in any others)

Although I'm sure the manufacturers have addressed these issues by now. :)

OT a bit. Can the Sirui tripod be taken apart for cleaning? Din know that.:dunno:

alvinlovesu said:

Strange, you didn't complaint your aluminum in sea water but worry about CF in sea water. My manfrotto in seawater once and I don't use it anymore due to corrosion.

...dismantle the tripod to rid the legs off remaining sand particles...I use those umbrella plastic tubes we get right before we enter malls and insert my tripod legs in it before I dip the tripod in saltwater. Saves me the hassle of cleaning, and the best part is come upgrade time, it's easier to sell off because I took care of it well.

:thumbsup: I wonder where I could buy those plastic tube or perhaps find an alternative that can be kept in the camera bag for repeated use. This is a good idea, free if not relatively cheap solution. :)

Just strip the tripod and wash it down with freshwater. Then grease the metallic parts.

You cannot avoid getting some rust in the long run, but you can delay it somewhat.

Strange, you didn't complaint your aluminum in sea water but worry about CF in sea water. My manfrotto in seawater once and I don't use it anymore due to corrosion.

Some ppl find CF more expensive so take more care of it lor.

At the end, spend more money, but make less use of it. :dunno:

OT a bit. Can the Sirui tripod be taken apart for cleaning? Din know that.:dunno:

That can be done.
But be careful when you take it apart as there is 2 small black pieces plastics at each section which can be easily misplaced.
I show it to one person when I was down at TK Foto teaching him how to maintain the CF tripod.

Weakness of Carbon Fibre:
- UV light
- Strong in only 1 direction (shatters in any others)

Although I'm sure the manufacturers have addressed these issues by now. :)

Not sure about this part "Strong in only 1 direction" but manufacturer definitely know that to lay each ply of the carbon fibre, they have to be in certain orientation to maximize the strength.

:thumbsup: I wonder where I could buy those plastic tube or perhaps find an alternative that can be kept in the camera bag for repeated use. This is a good idea, free if not relatively cheap solution. :)

Indeed a good idea. Get 1 each time you enter or leave the mall, recently it's very easy since it rains almost everyday. :bsmilie:

You're in Thailand, right? We get it free here hahaha.:sticktong:sticktong:sticktong