Car Tuner MP3 Player

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdyH

Mar 8, 2005
Harlow All

If u have a portable MP3 player and wud like to connect to your car tuner/CD player wat do u need?

Have heard of Belkin Tunecast Mobile FM transmitter but not sure wat other options available in the market. Do share your setup. Thx.

i saw this little gadget ... cassette to mp3 adapter ... :S ... not sure how it works .. but it claimed that it could be used to play mp3 through cassette player speakers ...

Expiredyoghurt said:
i saw this little gadget ... cassette to mp3 adapter ... :S ... not sure how it works .. but it claimed that it could be used to play mp3 through cassette player speakers ...
Very old tech but works. Your car need a cassette player to receive the signal and the mp3 player output through the earphone jack. Some Sim Lim 'electronic hardware' shops at the second floor still have it. Prob around $18.

I still use it for pda sound recording to car to listen to live recorded stuff etc.

There is a thing I saw. Cannot remember the name. It uses the cigarette lighter for power and plugs to your MP3 player. Then tune your radio to specific frequency. What is being played on your MP3 player is received by your radio. I think it costs about $40. Happy hunting!

hows the sound quality for such broadcasting devices?, compared to mp3s burned onto CDs and played using CD player in the car...

If you want to get a FM transmitter spend a few dollars more and get one with digital tuning which gives you the entire range of frequencies. If you get those with only 4 or 8 preset channels then most likely you will find that all the available channels are already occupied or too close to commercial broadcast so it will not work.

I first got a 4 channel model, returned and got an 8 channel model, returned again and finally settled on the Belkin one which has a digital tuner. The digital tuning ones also will have memory preset channels so that you can switch between frequencies quickly. This is useful when you travel one place to another with different commerial stations in the airway.

If you want to use it in the car, get one that has car power adapter so that you don't have to worry about batteries.

Sound quality is comparable to FM broadcast. Take some time to find the optimum volume setting on your MP3 player. If your MP3 player output is too low then you have to turn up the volume o your car tuner and there will be more noise. If the MP3 output is too high then it might overload the transmitter and you get distortion especially when there is heavy bass in the music.

I kind of like those which has the FM transmitter built-in to the car adapter. Very sleek idea but I am not sure if they have proper filtering to prevent the noise fro the car electrical system from interferring with the sound.

Happy hunting!

Alternatively you can have a mac mini or a sff pc rigged up in your boot as a jukebox :D

Geckorian said:
Alternatively you can have a mac mini or a sff pc rigged up in your boot as a jukebox :D

and design a dampering system for the rigg... PC is women's worse enemy... take our men & dislike vibration... :bsmilie:

Thanks all for the help. Don't tink the casette thingy will do since i dont have the casette player anyway. Tink i'l go for the Belkin thingy

Roy
Where did u get your Belkin? Wat's the price like?

AdyH said:
Roy
Where did u get your Belkin? Wat's the price like?

I got mine in US from www.buy.com.
http://www.buy.com/prod/Belkin_iPOD...ter_Digital_w_DC_Jack/q/loc/101/10406997.html

I bought mine almost a year ago. There is a firmware bug that is quite annoying. The device does not remember the preset channel that it was last set to. Everytime it powers up it does not go back to the last used preset but starts at the lowest 88MHz. Very annoying as I have to press the preset channel everytime I start up the device. I hope the later models have this problem fixed.

Some time ago I also saw a model that is actually an MP3 player built in with a transmitter. The whole thing plugs into the car power outlet and operates from there. What's cool is that it has a USB host connector so you can plug in any USB thumbdrive or HDD and it will locate all the MP3 files on the plugged in drive and play them. Of course the drawback is that it can only be used on a car.

Here's is another interesting gadget:

http://www.the-gadgeteer.com/review/anydrive_car_mp3_fm_transmitter_review

- Roy

roygoh said:
Some time ago I also saw a model that is actually an MP3 player built in with a transmitter. The whole thing plugs into the car power outlet and operates from there. What's cool is that it has a USB host connector so you can plug in any USB thumbdrive or HDD and it will locate all the MP3 files on the plugged in drive and play them. Of course the drawback is that it can only be used on a car.

Here's is another interesting gadget:

http://www.the-gadgeteer.com/review/anydrive_car_mp3_fm_transmitter_review

- Roy
Now this is something I would like to have. Seen so many models but this one catch my eye. Cool stuff. The only thing wrong with this device is the oddly placed USB connecter and also the limited FM stations. But cool nonetheless.:thumbsup:

Thx again roy

Status
Not open for further replies.