car studio photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkaiser

Aug 31, 2005
Bt Timah
not sure if this is the right place to post this, but does anyone know where i can rent enough lights to shoot a car in a more-or-less indoor environment.. Friend wants the car to be on a totally white background, floor n walls.. :bigeyes: As much as i can, I'm trying not to photoshop (even if PS it would be easier to shoot with a clean background for easy cloning later)

I think this is gonna be a bitch to shoot, especially with the lighting.. saw an approach in one of joe mcnally's books when he used the white cloth as a giant softbox, putting 2-3 flashes behind that... but that would mean i need multiple RF receivers

ok my prelim idea for now
white cloth on 4 sides (left, right, back, top (necessary?) )
2 strobes behind each piece of cloth...become giant lighting tent ;p

not sure if this is the right place to post this, but does anyone know where i can rent enough lights to shoot a car in a more-or-less indoor environment.. Friend wants the car to be on a totally white background, floor n walls.. :bigeyes: As much as i can, I'm trying not to photoshop (even if PS it would be easier to shoot with a clean background for easy cloning later)

I think this is gonna be a bitch to shoot, especially with the lighting.. saw an approach in one of joe mcnally's books when he used the white cloth as a giant softbox, putting 2-3 flashes behind that... but that would mean i need multiple RF receivers

how much is he willing to pay? iirc only a warehouse can accomodate a shoot of this scale. and yes, white cloth, make sure every corner is covered. you'll need a full stage setup to hold the white cloth.

2 strobes for each panel? 8 strobes total? 3000w per strobe?

hmm i really have no idea on this.. so ya, what's ur suggestion
(as u can see, they ask me to do cos no budget...haha!)

but by your calculation, that would mean about 6000W per side.. ie, very very hard to do budget way

googling for ideas in the meantime as well..thanks for the help so far

another idea..light colour walls to box car in on 3 sides... bounced strobes.. but hard to find such walls, most carpark lots that are in the corner like this would have a lot markings on the walls

this looks useful http://www.studiolighting.net/lighting-automobiles/

Last edited:
another idea..light colour walls to box car in on 3 sides... bounced strobes.. but hard to find such walls, most carpark lots that are in the corner like this would have a lot markings on the walls

this looks useful http://www.studiolighting.net/lighting-automobiles/

easiest way, measure every part and draw out and render...

hard way, get someone to build a 'light tent'

wall need to be rounded at all corners else also ugly.

Honestly speaking, shoot the car outside on a cloudless day at the top of a hill with no built up or protruding objects nearby and spend whatever little budget on a good DI Artist.

You can try to rent a studio from D-StudioLabs. I think it is possible to drive a car into his studio. Lights should be available too for rent.

I am not advertising for or related Lem, just that I have been to his studio at Tradehub21.

Last edited:
hey thanks for all the suggestions, Lem's place is very near me.. i will probably call for a quote, probably wun be cheap..

Will pitch the ideas to my friend, see what they want...

In order to pull off the shot, ideally you would need a full coved studio, floor to ceiling curved walls, on at least 2 walls, 3 walls would be ideal. Oh yeah and if you're going to rent make sure they paint it with a flat white paint.

Trying to shoot the car any other way would be too labour and equipment intensive and you'll need a couple of people to help you. I really wouldn't suggest the latter if you really aren't sure how to shoot cars or rather how to light one.

Lighting wise I think you would be able to get away with 4-5 powerpacks and possibly 8-10 heads or maybe even less.

I am assuming you will be shooting it with a DLSR with max depth of field, f22. Your power requirements will not be that high unless you were shooting 4x5 at f64.

If you have any questions you can pm me, I'll try my best to talk you through the process.

I think you also need a sexy model to stand beside the car to complete the look! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.