Car Photography

Aimevous

Mar 5, 2009
Hi guys, just wondering if anyone has explored this genre of photography and if there's any experiences to share.

Was thinking of doing some car photography but upon googling, I dont see a lot of info other than how to post process these photos and perhaps 1 or 2 that actually advises how to shoot.

If anyone has done it, I would like to pick your brains and find out the difficulties of shooting cars and how you would do it.

If possible, do share some sample works too!

Many thanks!

It's not really my genre, but I had an informal shoot of a car for a concept ad once (i.e the product wasn't really the car), and the main headache I encountered was REFLECTIONS.
It's obvious eh? In most car shoots, the car is polished to a shine, and the body isn't a box -- curves reflect everything, like a fisheye lens! Trees, sky, photographer, HDB blocks -- all were obvious.
I think I'll leave it to those with expertise in the field to advise you on the solutions :)

interesting! Thanks for sharing!

It's not really my genre, but I had an informal shoot of a car for a concept ad once (i.e the product wasn't really the car), and the main headache I encountered was REFLECTIONS.
It's obvious eh? In most car shoots, the car is polished to a shine, and the body isn't a box -- curves reflect everything, like a fisheye lens! Trees, sky, photographer, HDB blocks -- all were obvious.
I think I'll leave it to those with expertise in the field to advise you on the solutions :)

Circular polarizer???

Circular polarizer???
Not all surfaces change the polarization of the sunlight when reflecting it. Water, glass, clouds and vegetation do, metal and ceramic surfaces don't. CPL can only remove reflections with a changed polarization. Flash light is not polarized.

Not all surfaces change the polarization of the sunlight when reflecting it. Water, glass, clouds and vegetation do, metal and ceramic surfaces don't. CPL can only remove reflections with a changed polarization. Flash light is not polarized.

So do you mean that only water, glass and vegetation can cut off some reflection only???

But if using flash light, it is not possible cut off the reflection right????

It's really interesting to shoot cars.. But its hard to shoot without any reflection from the shiny surface of the car.. Unless the color of the car is not shiny.. I guess u would have to use photoshop then... :)

Actually the trick in shooting shiny, reflective objects is not in removing all specular reflections -- if you do, the object looks dull.
The idea is to control the reflections i.e. get the right specular reflections where you want.
If I had to do that shoot again, I would probably do it at some deserted area with no nearby buildings. A large featureless wall might work too, I think.

So do you mean that only water, glass and vegetation can cut off some reflection only???
But if using flash light, it is not possible cut off the reflection right????
This is what I wrote, yes.
But: Not the water or glass is cutting reflections, it's the filter.