Capturing Sun rise/set.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

diver-hloc

Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Somewhere North
Hi.... a Newbie question here. I'm using a Canon EOS 400D. Been trying to capture photos of Sunrise and Sunset..... but all the photos show the sun as just a glow.... Would like to take a pics where the 'disc' of the sun could be seen. Is there a way to do it ?? Thxs :D

IMG_0891.jpg

example.....

hmm do ya know what's wrong with your sunrise shots? :think:

i suspect you're using centre-weighted metering or matrix metering (the canon equivalent) that takes the whole scene in consider. try using spot metering on the sun to expose that properly, instead of the camera trying to get everything decently exposed which leaves the sun as a burned detail.

what i usually do, is go into M mode, shoot, review, and tweak shutterspeed and aperture to over or under accordingly.

rememeber that the 'correct' exposure is just what the camera calculates. most of the beautiful sunrise/sunset shots are intentionally underexposed (or even overexposed maybe) to fulfil the photog's vision of what he sees.

Sun so high is not sunrise already la, if the red circle is the position of your sun.

Play with the settings, you need to underexpose, and all the things in your picture will become silhouettes. Previsualise what it will look like and compose accordingly.

An alternative is to do HDR (google this if you don't know what it is), or use Grad ND filters.

the dynamic range of a scene with sun in sky is too wide for a digi cam.

so u cant do it off cam, unless u use filters. for post processing there are several ways.

if u just want to do it off cam w/o filters then u hv to decide whtr sun or foreground exposed. if the former, tehn foregd underexposed, if the latter, then sun overexposed as u have it here.

Thxs for all the suggestion & reply..... thxs again :D

It really depends on the weather conditions when you are at the location. From your pic, it certainly is too early if it is sunset. Getting down to technicalities, I would use a telephoto, meter off the sky just beside the sun, under expose by 1/3 or so stop and shoot at at least f8.

Just to share... http://forums.clubsnap.com/showthread.php?t=281287

meter de sky n nt de sun itself.

Is this what you want to achieve? Got to wake up early....

141683849-M.jpg

Hi.... a Newbie question here. I'm using a Canon EOS 400D. Been trying to capture photos of Sunrise and Sunset..... but all the photos show the sun as just a glow.... Would like to take a pics where the 'disc' of the sun could be seen. Is there a way to do it ?? Thxs :D

For me i just set to ISO 100, shutter speed at least 1/125 and as small an aperture as possible (eg. f/22).

Status
Not open for further replies.