Capture Sun Rise

Status
Not open for further replies.
there has been threads on this before i think...but anyway i feel that the best place to capture sunrise is tanah merah ferry terminal or changi beach..the section along the runway ..

anywhere... I even tried capturing even from boonlay MRT station area, and its great.

Depends on what you want to focus on.The sky or the ground.
I don't think the camera is able to expose correctly for both unless you have a graduated ND filter to compensate.

Otherwise, use HDR to merge several pictures at different exposures.

ok, can I ask how do you capture a sunrise?

Lets say it's just peeking over the horizon, and there's a layer of mist over tree tops or over buildings, the ground is dark and the sky is deep blue with hues of pink and purpple, and clouds are wispy-like...

What do you meter to get the right exposure, without having the ground or horiszon all blacked out?
there are many way of doing it... get it as a silhouette, HDR, push up the shadow in PP, GND... etc.

Photography has gone down to that stage of so much software dependency for a sunrise shot??!! :eek:

:(

Get GND lor.

More $.

There are places which are better for a sunrise. It's pretty hard to get a good sunrise when say, you're surrounded by 18 storey HDB blocks and you're on the ground floor.. =D

If you're into beaches and/or reflections, the central catchment area (Seletar Upper Lower, Peirce Upper Lower seems quite good for sunrise).. Changi Beach is one of my favourite places for sunrise as well.

Get GND lor.

More $.

There are places which are better for a sunrise. It's pretty hard to get a good sunrise when say, you're surrounded by 18 storey HDB blocks and you're on the ground floor.. =D

If you're into beaches and/or reflections, the central catchment area (Seletar Upper Lower, Peirce Upper Lower seems quite good for sunrise).. Changi Beach is one of my favourite places for sunrise as well.

nt a problem... juz bring ur gears up to the top floor and shoot at the corridor...
afterall its all about finding your way and not the other way round...

nt a problem... juz bring ur gears up to the top floor and shoot at the corridor...
afterall its all about finding your way and not the other way round...
If you're in a familiar place, maybe.

For me, I'd be exasperated, because I have certain ideas about sunrise/sunset shots so er, imagine going up and down 18 storeys just to get a good vantage point.

And besides.. Like you always say on DA.. HDB block sunrises are so siannnn. :bsmilie:

If you're in a familiar place, maybe.

For me, I'd be exasperated, because I have certain ideas about sunrise/sunset shots so er, imagine going up and down 18 storeys just to get a good vantage point.

And besides.. Like you always say on DA.. HDB block sunrises are so siannnn. :bsmilie:

tats if you oni keep shooting at the same blk... its nt sian if you change a spot:bsmilie: all of mine are last minute capture, if i got the time, i would have tried shooting at other HDB...

and also going to 18floor is nothing... afterall all the HDB now have lift... doesn't require you take the stairs..

tats if you oni keep shooting at the same blk... its nt sian if you change a spot:bsmilie: all of mine are last minute capture, if i got the time, i would have tried shooting at other HDB...

and also going to 18floor is nothing... afterall all the HDB now have lift... doesn't require you take the stairs..
Naw, I have building silhouettes with sunrises and sunsets..

They don't appeal to me as much as shots without buildings. I don't know, maybe Singapore is so full of buildings you just get sick and tired of them. Of course this is a personal view.. =)

Unfortunately I'm pretty sure there's no way I can shoot the sunrise from any part of my residence, the windows, whether out on the corridor outside of my flat and aimed way far away from the sunset, and gawd, there'd be so many funny shapes from funny trees planted here and there if I try to shoot really wide and squeeze the sunrise into the picture, so.. =D

Naw, I have building silhouettes with sunrises and sunsets..

They don't appeal to me as much as shots without buildings. I don't know, maybe Singapore is so full of buildings you just get sick and tired of them. Of course this is a personal view.. =)

Unfortunately I'm pretty sure there's no way I can shoot the sunrise from any part of my residence, the windows, whether out on the corridor outside of my flat and aimed way far away from the sunset, and gawd, there'd be so many funny shapes from funny trees planted here and there if I try to shoot really wide and squeeze the sunrise into the picture, so.. =D
well, thats up for you to decide, infact one of my most satisfying sunrise related shot was my recent shoot done near MRT interchange. :bsmilie:

well, thats up for you to decide, infact one of my most satisfying sunrise related shot was my recent shoot done near MRT interchange. :bsmilie:

You need to get out more then!

I hate urban sunrises and sunsets. =D

You need to get out more then!

I hate urban sunrises and sunsets. =D
well, im not that free as you... stuck in the office on all the weekdays...

Ok, I feel whatever shots they are, it's all purely a matter of our own personal taste in composition. What I am concern about, is how people these days are going about, 'capturing' these risings and settings of the sun; with a heavy dose of PS, or well timed, well planned, and well metered shots?
I go with timing first, without good timing, no matter how good your PS, plan, metering is, it still wun turn out good.

Ok, I feel whatever shots they are, it's all purely a matter of our own personal taste in composition. What I am concern about, is how people these days are going about, 'capturing' these risings and settings of the sun; with a heavy dose of PS, or well timed, well planned, and well metered shots?
What's with this heavy dose of PS?

Recently I read this article where this photographer gave his opinion on how much PS is too much, after all it's art and subject to the artist's interpretation.

The olden day photographers also had their darkroom to play with, burning, dodging and all that jazz were practised by famous landscape photographers such as Ansel Adams even.

I like what the photographer in that article wrote though - improving the composition and outlook of the photo where it is almost necessary, e.g. blending 2 photos so that you can see the details in both the highlights and shadows (aka HDR of some form) instead of just plain ol' silhouettes.. Should be acceptable.

But merging two photographs, like a flying crane about to take off, and another of a marshlands at sunrise - which actually was done in this magazine I just read.. Gorgeous, really, but it's digitally manipulated so it suddenly seems a lot less impressive to me. I think that's not acceptable.

Of course there will be alternative views, but I'd like to fancy this as the most moderate one. =)

Ahh.. this one good first approach... TIMING first...

But you know, TIME and TIMING are two different things to me - I know the TIMING, heheheee.. but I always don't have the TIME!

hahahahaaa.... :bsmilie:

Yeah, I guess sunset would be pretty hard for office workers.

Sunrise still got chance though, a matter of sacrificing some rest, I don't know many people who start work around 7 am.. 8 more likely, so it's still possible.. =)

It's all about how much you value the need to take a sunrise, I guess. When I was on holiday I got up at 5.45 am everyday because I just felt like I needed to see a different sunrise somewhere else. And got called many names by the people I was with, e.g. crazy, siao, damn onz.. But hey, like I said, it's all about priorities. =D

Ahh.. this one good first approach... TIMING first...

But you know, TIME and TIMING are two different things to me - I know the TIMING, heheheee.. but I always don't have the TIME!

hahahahaaa.... :bsmilie:
:sweat: same here... can only make it on sat/sun. :cool:

Think this is getting bit OT.

Well to the TS, you can try punggol area as well :)

Use a large heat resistence tupperware

Will be better if you wait till sunset then you catch it, if not too hot :D

mount faber is nice.. i took some maybe will post tonite :D

Status
Not open for further replies.