capture nx qns

Status
Not open for further replies.

blurrblurr

Sep 9, 2005
Simei, Punggol Central
I had 900 nef files and after selection. I had 700 label as good. 200 as bad.
Qns is how do i convert only those labelled "Good" nef to tiff?

batch save? But I only want to process the photos which I label good. How to select the "good' photo?

I would create a folder that contains all the files labelled as good and then do a batch save.

To do a batch save, Open NX and then click on batch process.

From there, you ought to be able to save your images as TIFFs in a seperate folder.

That is how I would have done what you are asking to do.

Whether the labels are good or not is a seperate matter altogether.

I normally use your method. But in NX i notice that there is a label function. Uses the nx label function to label my picture and later find that I cannot do anything to it. Cannot even select all the good labelled photos. You get what I mean?

I normally use your method. But in NX i notice that there is a label function. Uses the nx label function to label my picture and later find that I cannot do anything to it. Cannot even select all the good labelled photos. You get what I mean?

Yeah...

For me, that is the only method that I know that is effective and would work.

On the other hand, I guess you can "blame" Nikon for producing NX to be the way that it is. To me, it is quite easy for NX to be able to do this and I believe this is what you want.

Able to batch convert images by how images are labelled. Very easy to do in firmware updates, but unfortunately, Nikon is not doing that.

In Capture One Pro, you can run a up to 3 seperate conversions and save them seperately or the same folder. One folder is for web so smallest image possible, 2nd folder for JPG Large and maybe 3rd folder in TIFF. That is for each image and each folder is for 3 different uses.

Ok think got to blame myself for not testing out before use. Now I got to reselect all 700 photos and copy them over to a good folder. Thanks

This might be sort of related to workflow.

1. Download photos from CF Card into computer.
2. Copy the entire folder. Name one as Originals and the other as PP.
3. Open up folder PP in Capture NX.
4. Max zoom in browser mode and straight away trash the CMI photos.
5. Proceed to PP the keepers (and further trashing if deemed to be unworthy when opened up at full size)

I think labelling facilitates easier searching of files (though I haven't exactly explored this function). But in your case, I think the easiest way is to straight away junk those "bad" photos. Why bother labelling them at all.

You should be your own best critic in order to really improve. Related to your asking of critique in the gallery sub-forums. If you yourself think the photos are bad, chances are that they are. So junk 'em and don't bother keeping it.

If you're covering an important event like a wedding, you had better be confident and sure that you at least are able to deliver a high % of keepers. Because there ain't such thing as a re-shoot.

I had 900 nef files and after selection. I had 700 label as good. 200 as bad.
Qns is how do i convert only those labelled "Good" nef to tiff?

Try the following:

1. Sort your files by label, you will see that NX will seperate the "good" from the "bad". Click on the sort icon to sort.
2. Select the "good" files by using the arrow keys while holding down the control key. You may want to zoom out so that you can see more thumbnails.
3. Select "Save As" in the File menu. You will see the number of files you have selected and choose TIFF (or NEF) as the format to save.
4. Save the good TIFF (or NEF) files to a new folder.
5. Use batch process on the new folder as the source.

Alternatively, you can select the "bad" files and save them to a new folder, then delete the "bad" files from the original folder by pressing the "Del" button on your keyboard. You can then run batch process on the original folder.

This might be sort of related to workflow.

1. Download photos from CF Card into computer.
2. Copy the entire folder. Name one as Originals and the other as PP.
3. Open up folder PP in Capture NX.
4. Max zoom in browser mode and straight away trash the CMI photos.
5. Proceed to PP the keepers (and further trashing if deemed to be unworthy when opened up at full size)

I think labelling facilitates easier searching of files (though I haven't exactly explored this function). But in your case, I think the easiest way is to straight away junk those "bad" photos. Why bother labelling them at all.

You should be your own best critic in order to really improve. Related to your asking of critique in the gallery sub-forums. If you yourself think the photos are bad, chances are that they are. So junk 'em and don't bother keeping it.

If you're covering an important event like a wedding, you had better be confident and sure that you at least are able to deliver a high % of keepers. Because there ain't such thing as a re-shoot.
Oh usually I had the bad one for my own keep. So when I have time I will look back at those bad one to see how can i take better next time if such scenario happens again.

Try the following:

1. Sort your files by label, you will see that NX will seperate the "good" from the "bad". Click on the sort icon to sort.
2. Select the "good" files by using the arrow keys while holding down the control key. You may want to zoom out so that you can see more thumbnails.
3. Select "Save As" in the File menu. You will see the number of files you have selected and choose TIFF (or NEF) as the format to save.
4. Save the good TIFF (or NEF) files to a new folder.
5. Use batch process on the new folder as the source.

Alternatively, you can select the "bad" files and save them to a new folder, then delete the "bad" files from the original folder by pressing the "Del" button on your keyboard. You can then run batch process on the original folder.

Hey your method works but I have to hit the arrow 600 times. :) Anyway I tried using the Capture one suggested by lots of ppl here. Think is really a great program. But is very ex. now using it for another 20 days before the trial expire.

Hey your method works but I have to hit the arrow 600 times. :) Anyway I tried using the Capture one suggested by lots of ppl here. Think is really a great program. But is very ex. now using it for another 20 days before the trial expire.

I hope you didn't hit the arrow keys 600 times.. all you need to do is to click on the first picture, and while holding down the shift key, go to the last picture, by using the mouse or page down, and click on that, all will be selected. ;)

for me, those images i want to keep i will put them in the folder, the rest i will trash them when i see or preview them via adobe bridge.

when i look at NX, and when i use Lightroom, i felt that NX should "incorporate" certain features from the lightroom to make editing more easier and accurate.

don't you guys think so ? :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.