Capture Landscape while car is moving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

johntanmfm

May 20, 2009
Hi, Good day.
Just bought my Nikon D60, today tried to capture picture inside my car when car is moving.
but get very bad image quality. :thumbsd:
How to get a good quality clear picture while car is moving ?
Which mode to use, What setting to change ?

Much appreciate if anyone can give some advise. :)

Thanks in advance. :)
10xyd78.jpg

Last edited:
generally

you stop the car,

how do you compose in a moving vehicle is beyond me, i won't keep anything c omposed with such haste

Hi, Good day.
Just bought my Nikon D60, today tried to capture picture inside my car when car is moving.
but get very bad image quality. :thumbsd:
How to get a good quality clear picture while car is moving ?
Which mode to use, What setting to change ?

Much appreciate if anyone can give some advise. :)

Thanks in advance. :)
my.php

to get a steady sharpness photo you must have at least a 1/1oo shutter speed to freeze your hand shake motion. to get a details and sharp landscape picture you must set your aperture to f8 or f11. so to shoot a landscape on a moving, set it to 1/200 and f11. see the result for yourself and if necessary you might want to increase the ISO speed too.

Thanks for the suggestion :)

how about the focusing ? I want the whole landscape image sharp and clear. Sometimes, the Auto focus will get the result, front image clear, but back image blur.
Please advise. Thanks.

Thanks for the suggestion :)

how about the focusing ? I want the whole landscape image sharp and clear. Sometimes, the Auto focus will get the result, front image clear, but back image blur.
Please advise. Thanks.

That's due to the aperture the camera sets if you're in Auto or shutter priority mode. You should try to set your aperture at f/11-f/16, or read up and learn about hyperfocal distance.

Your picture was shot at f/10 and 1/250s shutter speed. While this would normally be good enough, it looks to me like you were shooting through tinted glass and your camera locked onto the glass instead of the target.

Your picture was shot at f/10 and 1/250s shutter speed. While this would normally be good enough, it looks to me like you were shooting through tinted glass and your camera locked onto the glass instead of the target.

Focusing through glass can always fool the camera's focusing system. Since you can't shoot exactly perpendicular to it, you may need to focus manually so you get things sharp.

to get a steady sharpness photo you must have at least a 1/1oo shutter speed to freeze your hand shake motion. ..

Not true. The general rule is 1/focal length. If you're in a moving car, really, just forget it. Stop the car.

what is the purpose of the taking this picture?

you want everything sharp sharp well compose correct exposure, than stop the car and shoot, or get out the car.

for me I will go low till 1/60s and using f5.6 if it is not too bright, also include the car bonnet as part of the photos, than photo will show it is shooting from a moving car.

img0729.jpg

You could take pictures in a car - I took the picture above sitting in a moving car (1/500sec, f/7.1, 60mm, ISO1000) with an CPL filter to cut down on glare and reflections from the windscreen.

Agreed. It certainly is possible to capture a shot from a moving vehicle. It should be bright enough on a clear day to shoot with a fast shutter speed, thus minimizing blurring due to motion. Probably this doesn't give you enough time to really plan your composition, but you can still get decent photos, as demonstrated.

Sometimes the situation just doesn't allow you to stop (e.g. Malaysia's NS Highway), because you introduce unnecessary risk to your safety. Or maybe you just want to capture a snapshot to remember a specific location (e.g. taking photos of a particular junction, so you can inform your friends next time).

TS' problem is to do with focusing.
either:
a) focused on the glass windscreen
b) the auto-focus was not able to maintain focus on the subject as it was rapidly moving closer.

Last edited:
You could take pictures in a car - I took the picture above sitting in a moving car (1/500sec, f/7.1, 60mm, ISO1000) with an CPL filter to cut down on glare and reflections from the windscreen.

I think that's a great photo. How do you focus quickly? What I usually did was to set it to infinity (manual focusing).

Cheers,
Ben

It is the same problem when you make pictures from a plane : you need a fast shutter speed, almost over 1/500è s, and you must put your front lens as close as possible to the glass window. You have to be aware of the reflections of light through this glass window too.

If you have difficulties to focus, you can put in application the hyperfocal property ( :thumbsup: ) once you are on Manual focus, especially if you use a wide angle lens.

Last edited:
frontal shots
from the upper deck of a moving coach along

清 水 斷 岸 Taiwan

3384205419_5dec7e74eb.jpg

3373242226_f6e24315db.jpg
3385018742_dd0ff07038.jpg

&
some view of the country/side
3373181250_bdf9178fdc.jpg
3384217165_e2cbdeeeac.jpg

doable,
when not allow to stop due to safety,
on a tight tour shedule,
it helps
when your significant other double as spotter ...

cheers,

Aside from the fast shutter, small aperture etc, if possible :
. Clean the windshield
. Cover whatever that is causing reflection onto the windshield.
Usually they're stuff reflected from the dashboard area.
. Drive slower

If you are taking pics from the side windows
. try not to take things that are too near.
. Wind down the window.

* Don't take pics if you're the driver, can be dangerous to yourself or others.

Stop the car and take is the best. If not fast shutter speed and bigger f stop. I think it will help

to get a steady sharpness photo you must have at least a 1/1oo shutter speed to freeze your hand shake motion. to get a details and sharp landscape picture you must set your aperture to f8 or f11. so to shoot a landscape on a moving, set it to 1/200 and f11. see the result for yourself and if necessary you might want to increase the ISO speed too.

well its 1 / focal length at least ... if you're using a 10-22 at 22mm at 1/30 would be enough. of course it depends on the shakiness of one's hand.

as for moving car, do also take note that it would be easier to take a shot in front/rear screen, then on the sides. by logic, distance of movement observed from the side is much more than distance from front/back ... hope u understand what i mean here. also, apart from manual focus, u could either lock ur focus first and also or stop your aperture down ...

still shots in moving vehicles r tricky ... mayb u wanna try panning or fast movement shots which may turn out with cool effects too ;)

woah.. learnt something today again! :) had always wondered about this situtation too. thought its more of "heng" "suey", steady or not etc. so much "concrete" information here by everyone!

improve the image ah...

im not a pro la. i also just started using DSLR...

but from what i know.

try take ur image in the morning where the sun is the brightest

so u can set ur shutter speed as fast as possible to avoid motion blur.

avoid using flash as it is totally no use in car like reflections and stuff.

u might need to clean ur glass of the car too... dirty glass can cause blur.

SUMMARY
1. must have enough light. in not increase ur ISO
2. clean your car the glass.
3. open your aperature as big as possible to increase shutter speed if u dun need very sharp image.
4. set your shutter to fastest possible depend from the lighting you get and ISO u have set. to avoid motion blur.

hope this helps... ;)

** if you want, get a polarizing fliter to remove reflection if u sometimes can see your reflecting in the car..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.