Captivation

Status
Not open for further replies.

cai1983

Nov 9, 2007
DPP_1001.JPG

Took this photo at Disneyland Paris and the girl's expression captured my attn. The word 'Captivation' came across my mind as I saw her gazing at Minnie Mouse on parade.

Like some feedback on the composition and perhaps 'feeling' of the picture.

Minimal PP done to it. The day was kinda cloudy and rainy, hence explaining the raindrops on her.

Shot at 200mm, 1/1000s, f2.8, ev -0.33.

Thanks in adv.

The moment is captured very nicely :thumbsup:. Bet her parents wish they had the pic.

A slower shutter speed might have helped with the colours, assuming the minimal PP you did wasn't to make it like that. But... can always photoshop more... *prepares extinguisher for all the flames from the photogs who don't like photoshop* :sticktong

Nice capture i would say~ Like the expression on her face too.

In terms of composition, i would prefer more crop to be done on the left, such that viewers are drawn to her eyes immediately cos of the space on the right.

Hmm, as for feel, i guess the expression tells it all. But i converted this shot to a black and white version with vignetting added in to focus on her face. I feel the expression is the key to this shot and thus, this is my version.

Edited-1001.jpg

Please let me know if you would like me to remove this photo.:)

A coloured version would be nice too, but it will somehow distract the viewers with the nice bright colour she is in. And ya, i agree you need to do some PP on it.

But all these are just my views la. ;)

thanks a lot for both comments.

sareth >>> no worries abt PS. PS is just like a darkroom, digital thou. but i dun use it, cuz i m too lazy to pick it up. the colors were naturally muted by the overcast sky, btw. i should try using a smaller aperture next time.

yapster >>> oh, keep the picture there please. it looks marvellous. u sharpened the picture?

Can you share what iso you used? I believe it is too fast a shutter to use for such a wonderful opportunity. For PP, could have used curves to improve contrast or used a warmer WB. Crop more on the left and see how the whole pic improves.

Hope you dun mind what I have done to your pic. Let me know if you want me to take it down.

2363403201_d86d096cb9.jpg

yapster >>> oh, keep the picture there please. it looks marvellous. u sharpened the picture?

Yup, did USM on it. The shot is marvellous in the first place, bro~ I merely play with the PP. :)

Can you share what iso you used? I believe it is too fast a shutter to use for such a wonderful opportunity. For PP, could have used curves to improve contrast or used a warmer WB. Crop more on the left and see how the whole pic improves.

Hope you dun mind what I have done to your pic. Let me know if you want me to take it down.

2363403201_d86d096cb9.jpg

Nice~:thumbsup:

Minimal PP done to it. The day was kinda cloudy and rainy, hence explaining the raindrops on her.

Shot at 200mm, 1/1000s, f2.8, ev -0.33.

Thanks in adv.

slightly underexposed, the lighting looks great but not exploited - female features *generally* seem to look better in soft lighting (cue cloudy, though sometimes that becomes flat)

it is a good shot, though a bit tighter to chop off the fact that you have chopped off her head abruptly (chopping off is fine,abruptly is not).. and some pp are in order to better the photo. cheers! :)

yehosaphat>>> ISO was 100. and thanks a lot for showing how to do a better crop too. gives more focus to the girl's eyes!

yapster >>> thanks for the compliment.

i'll just show the full picture to give more perspective, with her perched on her dad's shoulders. hope it doesn't spoil the feel of the photo. no PP.

DPP_10011.JPG

wait - this latest photo posted , the first posted was not a crop of it, no? angle is different, although expression is the same

i quite like this one too, there is a certain humour in it that i find, the fact that the girl's expression mirrors her dad's. a lack of expression, rather. a pity that there are the funny people in the foreground.. but well disneylands are always crowded

Feel like laughing when I see the guy and the lady on the left. They look like they're thinking "just what are you doing?" at you. Yet another lovely pic. Like it as much as I did the first.

not the same photo.
the 1st photo was a zoom-in at 200mm, the latest was at 70mm.
agree that disney is always crowded, plus the fact that it was christmas 07 when i took it.

ha, the dad and kid were just too good a subject to miss. must shoot, cuz both were giving the same look!

Hey, i feel this shot of her expression suits the "captivation" more~
You can see the locking of her eye brows and also a tiny smile on her face. ;)

captivating subject! i feel that the 1st photo is underexposed and lacks contrast. however, some PP will help to bring out the best qualities of the image, principally by increasing gamma levels and contrast. the pinks in the photo are great and add so much bright colour that i would prefer keeping the colour in the shot. in terms of framing, the 3 white areas at top and right of the image will tend to lead the viewer out of the photo, so recommend cropping them away. i have no qualms placing the subject squarely in the middle of the frame and ignoring the rule of thirds here, for two reasons; firstly, the sideways gaze of the little girl will naturally draw the viewer's own gaze off-centre, to the upper right third of the photo. secondly, the overall composition of the photo will look more balanced IMHO.

e.g.
DPP_1001_a.jpg

Thanks very much for all your C&C.
It's been very encouraging and a good learning for me.
Time to post my next picturE!

Very captivating capture indeed. She has such beautiful doll like eyes, but no catch lights. Wonder how it will look with Yapster's B/W + vignette, yehosaphat's crop but leaving the colour of the eyes intact. Maybe a little too model-ish? I don't know...I have a thing for selective desaturation:bsmilie:

I think her mildy tousled hair has a very nice frames her face nicely on the left and on the right the mild streaks give it a slight 'lifted by the wind' feel.

Bro, I think the BW treatment makes the gal's cheek like too bright....you may want to do a channel mix and layering to balance her cheek.:)

Nice capture i would say~ Like the expression on her face too.

In terms of composition, i would prefer more crop to be done on the left, such that viewers are drawn to her eyes immediately cos of the space on the right.

Hmm, as for feel, i guess the expression tells it all. But i converted this shot to a black and white version with vignetting added in to focus on her face. I feel the expression is the key to this shot and thus, this is my version.

Edited-1001.jpg

Please let me know if you would like me to remove this photo.:)

A coloured version would be nice too, but it will somehow distract the viewers with the nice bright colour she is in. And ya, i agree you need to do some PP on it.

But all these are just my views la. ;)

Bro, I think the BW treatment makes the gal's cheek like too bright....you may want to do a channel mix and layering to balance her cheek.:)

Oh ya hor, never noticed. I applied the B+W preset straight from LR, then export to CS2 for sharpening and cropping nia. Okok, will take note of that. I just learn recently (from CS) that channel mix is a better way to do B+W than desaturate. ;)

I have a discussion here on BW conversion and I think if you need more extreme, try split channels.:)

I like the girl's eyes, I think colour may be more captivating....:)

Oh ya hor, never noticed. I applied the B+W preset straight from LR, then export to CS2 for sharpening and cropping nia. Okok, will take note of that. I just learn recently (from CS) that channel mix is a better way to do B+W than desaturate. ;)

Thanks bro~
yup, actually, if i have more time, i would like to perform selective colouring to the eye~ :)

Status
Not open for further replies.