Canvas Screens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stoned

May 7, 2004
Changi
www.photo.net
Hi! Does anyone know where I can get canvas screens made, like those OHP or slide projector screens. TIA!

for wat purpose?
projector screens have special reflective material embedded for projector use. So dun think they can be 'made' per se. I think standard ones shld be cheaper so you can buy from most AV stores instead of making one.
if you need it for backdrop you need backdrop stands to hold the canvas.

hope this answers ur qn...unless you already know this

canvas? canvas merchants eg. at king georges' ave.

slaam said:
for wat purpose?
projector screens have special reflective material embedded for projector use. So dun think they can be 'made' per se. I think standard ones shld be cheaper so you can buy from most AV stores instead of making one.
if you need it for backdrop you need backdrop stands to hold the canvas.

hope this answers ur qn...unless you already know this

I actually need it for shadow puppetry. The ones that they sell from the AV stores are generally too small.

Reachme--> I've thought about the canvas merchants, but that means I have to come up with a way to suspend the canvas. I was hoping to get stands to suspend it. Anyway thanks.

wouldn't canvas be too thick for shadow puppetry?

Stoned said:
I actually need it for shadow puppetry. The ones that they sell from the AV stores are generally too small.

Reachme--> I've thought about the canvas merchants, but that means I have to come up with a way to suspend the canvas. I was hoping to get stands to suspend it. Anyway thanks.

reachme2003 said:
wouldn't canvas be too thick for shadow puppetry?

It depends on the intensity of the light actually. The current screens we use are a tad too thin for the intensity of the light we use. They also tend to fold and crease.

ahhhh
makes more sense now
well there are self made stands with pvc piping.. designs and implementation are pretty idiot proof and can be dismantled. desigs are online but basically its always a wide base supporting a single stand thingy..
this way you can search textile shops for your preferred screen.

i have been making small enquiries abt pvc pipings and the joint connectors they seem really cheap..but the danger part is which diameter supports the weight of your application.
oh another plus point if ur screen is small enough and your pvc pipe big enuff you can even stuff the screen within the pipe during transport.. heh nifty eh?

slaam said:
ahhhh
makes more sense now
well there are self made stands with pvc piping.. designs and implementation are pretty idiot proof and can be dismantled. desigs are online but basically its always a wide base supporting a single stand thingy..
this way you can search textile shops for your preferred screen.

i have been making small enquiries abt pvc pipings and the joint connectors they seem really cheap..but the danger part is which diameter supports the weight of your application.
oh another plus point if ur screen is small enough and your pvc pipe big enuff you can even stuff the screen within the pipe during transport.. heh nifty eh?

I actually considered what you suggested with aluminium piping, because the screen I need is pretty big and PVC isn't great on strength. I guess I'll have to do some serious DIY work then. I was thinking of getting someone to do it and just claiming from the school :p. Thanks for the suggestion.

heh sounds like an interesting DIY project! I have no idea where to get aluminium piping though.. actually i think pvc piping is strong .. but the tube that the canvas needs to be rolled on prob can't be pvc as pvc will bend under the weight of ur large screen...
here are some links for you
http://homepage.mac.com/geerlingguy...rticles/photography/homemade_greenscreen.html
http://digitalmedia.oreilly.com/2004/09/01/product_shots.html

or this if it fits ur size
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showpost.php?p=1725232&postcount=2

Status
Not open for further replies.