Can't shut down..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wryer

Dec 17, 2002
Tampines
Visit site
Hi guys,
I don't know why i can't shut down my com, selecting the 'Shut down' nor pressing the 'OFF' button on my casing can shut my windows down?

What wrong? I hope its just a kiddo virus and not some hardware problem..

Anyone help?

Originally posted by Kho King
cut off the power supply.

Erhz, that was what i did. But i think its not really safe? Will it blow my motherboard over time?

hi
try pressing and holding down the off button for a few seconds.

Windows computer always have problems. Mine can't shut down some times, so I just switch off the power.

U can reformat and reinstall windows and put install too much programs in ur computer, then it should work again.

I think windows 95, 98, ME (worst) all have this problem. It is called: "Windows Shut Down Problem". XP and 2000 are more stable.

Wun.... Will probably damage ur hd instead if done this more than 20 times or sometimes more.

Try to reinstall ur windows, maybe other cd versions of windows and see if the problem still exist.

Pokka, tried but don't work.

Kho King, I think im gonna reformat my com. It has been quite cluttered and ram are at a low.

Cheechee, will try reinstalling my windows first though.

Any one can teach me how to format my com? I have never formatted my com b4. :(

u still haven't tell us what window u r using.

create a window start up disk.

boot from the start up disk.

choose with cd rom support

a: format c:

formating...

done.

(cd rom drive) e:

e: setup

continue setup ur windows.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If u wanna install win XP, boot from CD rom drive. Change this in the...

(I am going back now...I am sure u can get better help from others)

All the best!:)

Wah seh.. Xp some more can have this problem?

My advice is: Get a win2000 prof edition.

Cheers

Originally posted by Wryer
Pokka, tried but don't work.

Kho King, I think im gonna reformat my com. It has been quite cluttered and ram are at a low.

Cheechee, will try reinstalling my windows first though.

Any one can teach me how to format my com? I have never formatted my com b4. :(

recently (1 month ago and yesterday), i reformatted my hard disk and re-installed windows - the reason being i have problems with the sound card (creative pci 128 card and i am sure that the speaker and cables and card are ok) - it started off with losing audio output after playing several songs from to a cd to gradually totally losing audio from a cd to finally losing audio from i play a mpeg file.

after 2 tries of re-installing windows, i still do not have audio. anyone has any idea or remedy. other than not installing it properly, could it be due to conflict with the modem card. previously, when i installed my modem, there was audio after the modem and voice device were installed. now both are installed but still no sound .. urrgh .....

lessons learned from installation :

perform the necessary back up - else there would not no means to recover your data. i think it is important to record the phone number and proxy server of your internet connection, and the favourite links.

have all the installation software ready - setup disk, cd rom driver, windows installation cd rom, sound card driver, video card dricer, modem, office 2000 and etc - else you end up looking for the installation disks.

what i did (not sure if there are any changes due to improvement to technologies) and may not be correct/efficient :
change the boot up sequence to start with a drive.
boot up computer using a drive and format c drive (data was previously transferred to my other hard drives).
install the driver for the cd rom
proceed with installation for windows and the other devices.

it took me about 3 hours.

happy re-installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.