Cant seem to take short DOF shots w/ A40

Status
Not open for further replies.

thoa_rs

Jan 10, 2003
Siglap
Visit site
No matter how low the apperture no. i set and how for the background is from the object i just cant seem to achieve a shallow depth of field using my A40 (portraits, flowers, etc). Anybody can help?

Post some pics

then only can the advice come in

denizenx, as usual, please don't go spewing rubbish.

thoa_rs: Shallow depth of field is not possible with consumer DCs.. it is a limitation due to the small CCD. A closeup lens only decreases your minimum focusing range, and allows a larger magnification.

i thought the first flower shot was nice

nice DOF too

Originally posted by YSLee
denizenx, as usual, please don't go spewing rubbish.

thoa_rs: Shallow depth of field is not possible with consumer DCs.. it is a limitation due to the small CCD. A closeup lens only decreases your minimum focusing range, and allows a larger magnification.

YSLee, don't be rude.

But anyway, denizenx, you are wrong, big time!

Small CCDs don't allow a good shallow depth of field. And the Hoya closeup lens are for macrophotography only.

Originally posted by FLiNcHY
i thought the first flower shot was nice

nice DOF too

nah... the DOF is not shallow enough to my liking. That's the in-built limitation of digicams. The background still looks distracting.

Originally posted by mervlam

nah... the DOF is not shallow enough to my liking. That's the in-built limitation of digicams. The background still looks distracting.

couldn't really get the flower sharp enough cos it was very windy... will try again soon.
any tips on how to achieve shorter dof for portrait shots?

Originally posted by thoa_rs

couldn't really get the flower sharp enough cos it was very windy... will try again soon.
any tips on how to achieve shorter dof for portrait shots?

Try shooting at the longest zoom. But I think the aperture will decrease as you zoom.

Originally posted by binbeto

Try shooting at the longest zoom. But I think the aperture will decrease as you zoom.

yeah i've been doing that, the dof decreases that way.

Originally posted by mervlam

YSLee, don't be rude.

But anyway, denizenx, you are wrong, big time!

Small CCDs don't allow a good shallow depth of field. And the Hoya closeup lens are for macrophotography only.

wow how did I miss this... no wonder so much animosity from yslee... ho well

well I did ask him if he was shooting purely flowers and stuff..
the +2 +4 do kill DOF a lot, since they limit image depth..
and, sigh, I was trying to be application specific... from my experience with a +4 on a 75-300mm film and digital 38-380mm, it fits the bill quite well...

Originally posted by denizenx

wow how did I miss this... no wonder so much animosity from yslee... ho well

well I did ask him if he was shooting purely flowers and stuff..
the +2 +4 do kill DOF a lot, since they limit image depth..
and, sigh, I was trying to be application specific... from my experience with a +4 on a 75-300mm film and digital 38-380mm, it fits the bill quite well...

he asked about portraits as well. how can you miss that?

hmm this I tried when I got home...
a tired n pissed me..
38mm +4 c2100uz on tripod,
so the face a bit big... dunno if +2 is as powerful... I dun have it..
I know the nose is not fully in focus either... but it illustrates the point...
aap.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.