Can't seem to find the most suitable camera.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sin77

Nov 28, 2004
Hi everyone...I'm very new to photography, cameras and this forum. But despite that, I wish to buy a good camera and embark on taking better photos. My last camera was that Maxonline freebie BenQ 2300.

My budget is $300-$600, and if possible i would just like to spend only less than $500 on it. I am quite a casual camera user, so perhaps a point and shoot is enough for me.

Below is my requirement:
1. At least 3 megapix
2. 3x optical zoom
3. Reasonably good image quality for low light and night shoot.
4. Better to be SD card supported.
5. Prefer using AA batts.
6. A better liking for movie with audio.

So far i researched some models:
Canon A95, IXUS 30, Nikkon 3200, Panasonic Lumix DMC-LC50.

Are there also some models which i should look into?

sin77 said:
Hi everyone...I'm very new to photography, cameras and this forum. But despite that, I wish to buy a good camera and embark on taking better photos. My last camera was that Maxonline freebie BenQ 2300.

My budget is $300-$600, and if possible i would just like to spend only less than $500 on it. I am quite a casual camera user, so perhaps a point and shoot is enough for me.

Below is my requirement:
1. At least 3 megapix
2. 3x optical zoom
3. Reasonably good image quality for low light and night shoot.
4. Better to be SD card supported.
5. Prefer using AA batts.
6. A better liking for movie with audio.

So far i researched some models:
Canon A95, IXUS 30, Nikkon 3200, Panasonic Lumix DMC-LC50.

Are there also some models which i should look into?

Pentax S30 3.2 MP 3x optical. Fast camera. I am pleased with the results. It has a pretty strong flash for its size and it doesn't annoy you in low light conditions.

I payed 430$ including 512MB SD.

alpie said:
Pentax S30 3.2 MP 3x optical. Fast camera. I am pleased with the results. It has a pretty strong flash for its size and it doesn't annoy you in low light conditions.

may i know where you bought it? thanks!

alpie said:

Thanks so much.
May i know where u bought it?
And are there any good reviews on it?
Coz i cant seem to find good ones on it.

Anyway I am also quite concern about the image quality taken with this camera. Perhaps you'd like to share your opinions? Or better if u can show some sample pictures that are taken in different environment such as bright sunny day, night scapes and macro.

alpie said:
Check the S40 review at
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/optios40.html

S30 and S40 have exactly he same features except the resolution: 3.2 vs 4.0 MP.

I'll check if there is a suitable shot to post.

Through my internet research, i think many users are complaining abt its shutter lag, flash charge up which took many seconds.
Some said not good for low-light shoot.
Actually how u find it?

sin77 said:
Through my internet research, i think many users are complaining abt its shutter lag, flash charge up which took many seconds.
Some said not good for low-light shoot.
Actually how u find it?

This is the 5th digital camera at home. I am writing my comments based on my previous experiences.

I assume all cheapo cameras suffer from shutter lag to some extent. If there is no shutter lag, then the manufacturer does not sell it cheap. This is a point and shoot 340SGD camera, I am not expecting the performance of a DSLR from it.

Its low light performance is not bad at all. At least it can focus in a couple of seconds. This is far better than Fuji S602 prosumer, which tries to focus and tries tries tries than bails out.

As I know S30's flash is stronger than other cameras in this class. S30 is powered by 2 AA batteries. I didn't notice any slow recharge etc. Basically weak batteries means slower flash charge. Stronger flash means longer charging time. S30's recharge times didn't disturb me. I prefer longer recharge times, strong light and better pictures; rather than quick charge, weak light and poor pictures.

To me, this camera is ok. It starts fast. Compact, lightweight, pocket size, uses standard AA batteries, 3.2 MP, 3x optical zoom, 340 SGD.

You should compare it to similarly priced cameras to have a fair idea.

I uploaded some indoor/outdoor sample shots to http://www.bluefest.com/S30/
for your reference.

Dimage X series are worth considering. I think the canons are worth gunning for...... ;)

Belle&Sebastain said:
may i know where you bought it? thanks!
I got it from one of the biggest camera shops in Peninsula Plaza near City Hall MRT.

I am an Optio S30 owner. I'm quite satisfied with the camera. The faults I can find are that the LCD screen turns off when flash is charging or is turned on, lack of AF assist beam, slow continuous shooting (about 1 fps) and symbols besides 4 way dial difficult to see at certain angles.

Out of the cameras you shortlisted, the Canon A95 does not use SD card. A camera with flash compensation is also quite hard to find as this is considered a pro feature. The Canon Ixus 40 is a good choice, except for the soft corners in the images claimed in reviews which I haven't seen for myself.

You can read up reviews on the net and find an opportunity to handle the shortlisted cameras and find one which the button layout, size, menus are comfortable for you. I have attached an image taken by the Optio S30 in super macro mode covering an area about 35x26mm in size. The blur bottom corners are due to the camera not being parallel to the flower and is not a lens fault.

2921570-lg.jpg

f5.6, 1/50s, ISO 50, -1 EV, flash used, no levels adjusted, USM applied

CY_OH said:
A camera with flash compensation is also quite hard to find as this is considered a pro feature.

Even a DSLR like Canon 300D doesn't have flash compensation.

any more samples for low light conditions using Optio S30 or S40?
Better if got night scapes/night streets/night portrait etc.

sin77 said:

Sorry mate but I don't have a tripod for night shots. The camera has a special night shot setting in its dial -it uses flash and long exposure together to get the actual view- , but you need a tripod for any night shot anyway. The portrait I posted was a night portrait taken in a dim restaurant. You may want to check http://www.bluefest.com/S30/ again.

Why don't you post your findings about other cameras here? :think: It will be a good resource for other people looking for similar cameras. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

sin77 said:
Here is a shot of a restaurant interior taken handheld without flash.
2924757-lg.jpg

f/2.6, 1/8s, ISO 100, no flash, handheld, USM, levels applied

Here is a 600x450 crop of the original 2048x1536 sized picture, no USM
2924780-lg.jpg

The website below has listings of camera reviews from other websites under News on Digital Cameras
http://www.dcviews.com/

You can also have a look at Reviews or Cameras at
http://www.dpreview.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.