Can't make up my mind...

Status
Not open for further replies.

reyals

Dec 12, 2004
I want to buy a digital camera... but I can't make up my mind...

My requirements :
- small : easy to lug around everywhere I go
- powerful : able to attach extra lens, have manual controls (shutter etc)
- fast auto-focus
- takes good indoor shots (like Spore Expo)
- clear/sharp photos
- if need to print, max only 4R size

Don't mind :
- paying extra for the lens, card, batteries
- megapixels. anything from 3 onwards.

Budget :
Less than $1000 or slightly more (inclusive of GST)

Shortlisted :
- Canon A95
- Canon S60/S70
- Canon G5/G6
- Sony DSC-V1/V3/W1

A friend swears by Olympus.. She tells me to get Olympus cameras.
Another friend tells me to consider the Panasonic DMC-FX7.

URGH!!!!! I've been thinking about this for at least 2 weeks!!

What other shops beside john 3:16 (#03-00 funan) should I go? And where is Alan Photos?

Please help/advise... :sweat: :sweat:

reyals said:

My requirements :
- clear/sharp photos

Budget :

IMHO, To take good indoor shots you need a external flash (so not small and compact ) or high iso (so far none of the models you listed can do iso800/1600 within my acceptable quality.)

So either forgo these requirement or go get a compact film camera to use high iso800 film for indoor shots.

Someone mention about fujifilm digicam can shoot at iso800 with acceptable 4r print. Go test it out.

Hi! Why settle for a digital comsumer camera while you can buy a film SLR which allows you to change lens, manually adjust exposure and can blow up to 8X12size with no problems?
With $1000, you can easily get a used good condition Nikon FM2 with a 50mm lens. I believe that you could learn more with a film SLR and also built up the confidence in your photographic skills.
Cheers!

ps. Me still a die-hard film user.

I actually have a film SLR (Canon). The thing is I need a camera to take competition shots and I can't afford to go home and realise that the shots didn't make it. I need to know, on the spot, that I've taken the pictures. :)

reyals said:
I actually have a film SLR (Canon). The thing is I need a camera to take competition shots and I can't afford to go home and realise that the shots didn't make it. I need to know, on the spot, that I've taken the pictures. :)

As I had mentioned b4, a film camera makes you a more confidence photographer rather than relying on the LCD. :)

XXX Boy said:
As I had mentioned b4, a film camera makes you a more confidence photographer rather than relying on the LCD. :)
How true... like damn... I still chimp when I shoot...

reyals said:

what kind of competition shots?

reyals said:

My requirements :
- fast auto-focus
- clear/sharp photos

Don't mind :

Budget :

Shortlisted :
- Canon A95
- Canon S60/S70
- Canon G5/G6
- Sony DSC-V1/V3/W1

What other shops beside john 3:16 (#03-00 funan) should I go? And where is Alan Photos?

Panasonic FZ20:
1. Not really small but gives you a good 36-432mm range
2. Powerful fast lens of F2.8 and O.I.S, all manual control
3. Indoor pictures few can do F2.8 at any range with O.I.S
4. Leica lens with Matsushita CCD Sensor (Canon 1D sensor is from Matsushita so what you think?)
5. 4R size should not be a problem at all with ISO 200, ISO 400 need some work I think
6. $900++
7. Need extra battery and SD Card (which camera you buy do not need such extras?)

based on your requirements and shortlist, I say, go for the Canon G6 or Sony V3.

also check out the upcoming Olympus C7070 Wide Zoom, it looks like a strong competitor in the 7MP digicam market.

slayer...u can try for the dsc v3

RossChang said:
How true... like damn... I still chimp when I shoot...

Don't get psyched, nothing wrong with chimping. As you get better you will chimp less and less. Lots of film users make the same mistake over and over too, only it costs them a lot more to find out ;) .

Thanks to all who replied! More people would suggest me to get either the Canon G6 or Sony V3?

I find Canon G6 quite a hefy/heavy piece and don't really suit carrying around everyday?

Competition - Fast moving, jogging style action pictures.

ever considered the Canon S1 IS?

fyi, panasonic FX 7 dun have manual mode. It's almost full auto.

Fast moving, you might want to consider Sony W1, very fast focusing but no room for lens and ext flash.

I gave up on searching for the ideal digital camera many months ago, it does not exist. So here is my suggestion to you:
(1) buy any one camera on your shortlist, try a few weeks, if dont like, then sell it 2nd hand at discount price quickly.
(2) buy a few cameras on your shortlist, each for different purpose (eg 1 for fast focus, 1 for night shot, 1 for underwater etc.)

Have you tried the shortlisted models @ the shop? You'll probably get a better 'feel' ... You can try Cathay Photo @ Peninsular Plaza, Alan Photo @ both Funan and SLS and also M S Color @ Ang Mo Kio if you're staying in the North ...

Good luck! ;)

reyals said:

My requirements :
- fast auto-focus
- clear/sharp photos

Don't mind :

Budget :

Shortlisted :
- Canon A95
- Canon S60/S70
- Canon G5/G6
- Sony DSC-V1/V3/W1

V1 is discontinued but u might be able to get 1 at Sim Lim at a very gd price. I bought my V1 in July last year for about 800+. Not only it meets ur requirements, it's a very gd cam for IR shots. The downside of this cam is battery life.

What's gd 4 me might not be suitable for u. I suggest u go down to the shops, try out the cams and c if u like the grip, placement of controls, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.