Cant decide yet. Forgive me

Status
Not open for further replies.

afiy92

Feb 27, 2008
Not getting it now but still its better for me to do some research and ask from the others about what their comments / reviews on particular model and such .

Okay I am more to street photography I should say . I will just snap anything that looks nice too .

More of landscape I should say . Macro is just not into me maybe in later stage perhaps .

Secondly I do skate anyway maybe can take of people skateboarding doing their tricks too .

I have few models in my mind seriously but I've yet to decide which one should I go for if I want to learn and get into photography.

Sony A330
Sony A320

^^ Specifications wise good enough for just a beginner but the main thing both my mum and brother told me go for NIKON/CANON because its the best

D3000
D5000

^^ heard both pros and cons d3000 functions wise just sucks and d5000 is almost the same as d3000 just that it have tilt screen

Canon 1000D

^^ lousy specifications from what i heard

Pentax Kx

^^ I don't know just that PENTAX is just not into me

Canon 500D

^^ Price wise abit steep but the best . Thought of getting that . Any comments?

Quoted from afiy92

I have few models in my mind seriously but I've yet to decide which one should I go for if I want to learn and get into photography.

Sony A330
Sony A320

^^ Specifications wise good enough for just a beginner but the main thing both my mum and brother told me go for NIKON/CANON because its the best

Me:Are they photographers?

D3000
D5000

^^ heard both pros and cons d3000 functions wise just sucks and d5000 is almost the same as d3000 just that it have tilt screen

Me: Go for a D90 ir you are thinking of a Nikon.. Why? Because D3000 and D5000 don't have autofocus motor.

Sony A330
Sony A320

Got A320 mah?

I think they may have swallowed up the salesperson's marketing speeches hook, line and sinker.

D3000
D5000

and both use Sony Sensors...

Canon 1000D

^^ lousy specifications from what i heard

Pentax Kx

Canon 500D

^^ Price wise abit steep but the best . Thought of getting that . Any comments?

How is it the best? In what way? No tilt-screen LCD, no in-built IS, not fast AF in live view...

Sorry guys it should be A230

Me:Are they photographers?

no they are not but i dont know why they advice me to go for nikon or canon

Me: Go for a D90 ir you are thinking of a Nikon.. Why? Because D3000 and D5000 don't have autofocus motor.

D90 is out of my budget .
How about 500d ?

Wanna apologize to all I've been asking you all many types of question so far .

Not to sound harsh, but that means they're just believing rumors.

You haven't even listed your needs. Why 500D? Do you need video? Do you need fast autofocus in Live View?

Okay bro

My first DSLR i want it to be

worth of $$$ , performance too and functions wise ,
Features and lastly image quality , not to bulky and comfortable in my hands

Video rec ; is not important to me for now because I do agree with the Mustafa Centre sales man if wanna invest on Photography theres no need for you to have a video rec .

D5000

From what the experts at CS their opinions said both has the same functions with D3k just that it can tilt the screen .

So yeah and secondly Sony .

What my 1st post said that both my parents and brother doesnt support SONY .

D90 is out of my budget .
How about 500d ?

Because those two brands have been around for quite some time... That's why ALOT of people are recommending them. FYI, Sony isn't a very very young brand either. Why? Go search the forums or google.

500D is good if you need the video function and it also spots a different sensor as compared to most entry level cameras.

Okay bro

My first DSLR i want it to be

worth of $$$ , performance too and functions wise ,
Features and lastly image quality , not to bulky and comfortable in my hands

Video rec ; is not important to me for now because I do agree with the Mustafa Centre sales man if wanna invest on Photography theres no need for you to have a video rec .

All that sounds like the 500D is not a match for your needs.

D5000

From what the experts at CS their opinions said both has the same functions with D3k just that it can tilt the screen .

So yeah and secondly Sony .

What my 1st post said that both my parents and brother doesnt support SONY.

Who will be using the cam? You or your parents/brother? And do they know what you'll be buying a sony sensor if you get the Nikons? Be aware that the D3k and D5k have no built-in autofocus motor, and the Live view uses a slow AF system.

you awoke the sony advocates hahaha!

think about what you want and try out the camera in reputable shops is the best option...

do you want a system with arguably cheaper lenses and a massive lens lineup -> canon

do you want a solid system that has bodies to kill for -> nikon

do you want a system with inbuilt HDR, smile shutter and a "minolta legacy" -> sony

do you want a bulletproof system -> olympus

do you want a ridicolously expensive system -> leica

do you want to be different -> pentax

every brand has its ups and downs, go buy the camera yourself a bunch of randoms on the internet really shouldnt be telling you what you want to do...

do you want a system with arguably cheaper lenses and a massive lens lineup -> canon

so you are saying that if i were to invest for lens in the future , canon lens quite cheaper then other brand ?

what you mean by bulletproof?

pentax kx is just not into me seriously and i don't know why either

so you are saying that if i were to invest for lens in the future , canon lens quite cheaper then other brand ?

hahah im actually joking, duno if you picked that up... thats just how i tend to sum up the diff brands...

arguably, i say again, arguably, canon have cheaper lenses then other brands... some people agree others don't its up to them.

what you mean by bulletproof?

have you seen some of the abuse olympus slr's have taken? ;p
not saying the higher end canons and nikons will probably take the same sh*t but olympus is just known for that haha

pentax kx is just not into me seriously and i don't know why either

well dont buy it then
icon_mad2.gif

icon_beer.gif
icon_beer.gif

do you want a solid system that has bodies to kill for -> nikon

do you want a system with inbuilt HDR, smile shutter and a "minolta legacy" -> sony

do you want a ridicolously expensive system -> leica

every brand has its ups and downs, go buy the camera yourself a bunch of randoms on the internet really shouldnt be telling you what you want to do...

aiyo...

pentax also has arguably cheaper lenses.. and can be considered quite rugged.. :)

anyways, i think the feel is the most important. all dslrs are good dslrs. the problem is that most people do not know how to maximise what they have :)

FYI: Generally, Pentax stuff is cheaper. Lenses, Flash, Camera Body. But cheap doesn't necessarily equate to lacking. For one, Pentax has the most comprehensive support for legacy lenses. Go read up :p

One thing tho, what do you exactly mean when you say that Pentax is "not into you"? Is it like some sort of allergic reaction? No offence, just guessing ;)

Regards,
gibss.

Nope. All camera brands have some lenses that are cheaper than the competition, and other lenses that are more expensive than the competition. I'd say on average, Canon, Nikon and Sony have the same price.

Nope, thats the opposite. If you wanna get image stabilization, then Nikon and Canon will be much more expensive. This is cause Canon and Nikon sells their stabilized lens very ex.

Compared to Sony and Pentax, with sensor stabilization, they can buy normal lens (cheaper) and still enjoy image stabilization.

Quoting an example:

Tamron 17-50 f2.8 lens. This lens has mountings for Canon, Nikon, Pentax and Sony (meaning the lens has different mountings to fit their respective brands, but essentially the lens is the same).

For Canon and Nikon, in order to get image stabilization for this lens, they need to buy the one which has build in VC. This cost around $950 in Singapore.

For Pentax and Sony, we only need to buy the non VC version for $610, and enjoy the same image stabilization effect.

This is but one example, im using this lens as it is pretty common and all major brands uses it. But u get the idea behind it :) Now think, for every lens that you buy that comes with image stabilization, the extra amount of money u has to spend for Nikon and Canon mount, and the amount you can save with Pentax and Sony (and yet enjoy the stabilization effect).

PS: now is the perfect time to get a Sony A500. There's a promotion going on, and that promo is so good that you really should give it a real hard consideration.

Last edited:
Pentax Kx

You have already done most of the homework on the brands/models. The logical choice is clear. The Kx gives the best value for money.
I think for you, it might be a case of heart over logic. Pentax may not be offering you the prestige and namesake of a good camera maker. Just like your mother and bro having the impression that certain brands are the best.
This is not an offensive statement. We all go through that ("want" Pamela Anderson ;p "need" Homemaker GF :( ) :D

I can only offer this to clear your doubts:
http://www.photoxels.com/history_pentax.html

This is a 90+yr camera maker with a long list of 1st through its history.

You have heard from everyone the pros and cons of each make. There is never the best. I scream about not having IS when I need one on canon. I scream about no remote flash trigger on canon. I scream about not having infra red shutter release on 40D. But I am still on canon. Somethings dun have then you have to make do. Cannot say my racing car slower in a race and i stop racing and DNF.

There's another 2 ways to go about it.

1) Go rent a body and lens to try out and see what you like
2) Like a friend of mine, he bought a used Oly kit. Cheap and old set. All he wants is understand what he really wants to take (landscape, portraits sports etc) before he decides on the equipment he requires and learn the skills etc. may not be a bad approach for a person to understand himself, his interest, his style and if he really wants to continue in photography. After all, with a used kit set, how much can he lose? $100 to understand himself is well worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.