cant decide to get which prime lens! Sigma? Nikon?

Bangx3

May 24, 2009
Hey guys,im kinda new to portrait photography and i wanna get into it. I need some suggestions and opinions. Im thinking of getting Sigma 1.4 cause i heard the bokeh is better than Nikon. But im still not sure which to get. Sigma 1.4,Nikon 1.4G or Nikon 1.8G? I love taking potrait shots/candid/group. I heard a lot of comments regarding Sigma having issues w focusing and stuff. For Nikon,i know that regarding the edge,its better than Sigma. Also,it will really help if you guys can roughly give me some rough quotes on the prices! Thanks! :)

for "inner peace", get the Nikon one. Get the best forget the rest :p

The quotes are just a call away. For recommended shops, refer to the list in the Price Guides.

*btw, since you said you are new to portraiture, why don't you use the kit lens first?*

I made a wrong move. I bought the 18-105 together w the body D5000 instead of the 18-55 kit len I really didnt knw what I was doing back then!
for "inner peace", get the Nikon one. Get the best forget the rest :p

The quotes are just a call away. For recommended shops, refer to the list in the Price Guides.

*btw, since you said you are new to portraiture, why don't you use the kit lens first?*

I made a wrong move. I bought the 18-105 together w the body D5000 instead of the 18-55 kit len I really didnt knw what I was doing back then!

Inferring from your reply, I highly doubt you know what you are doing by asking the question "cant decide to get which prime lens! Sigma? Nikon?". My suggestion is keep using the 18-105 till you know what you want before upgrading...

btw, 18-105 is also a kit lens -_- but by no means is that to say that it cannot give you beautiful portrait shots.

Hahaha,i understand it is a kit lens but i paid higher price for it and it heavier. Its very bulky and very inconvinient to be honest. I want something which is light and i can bring arnd everywhr to capture candid and street photos. Thanks for your opinion man! :)
Inferring from your reply, I highly doubt you know what you are doing by asking the question "cant decide to get which prime lens! Sigma? Nikon?". My suggestion is keep using the 18-105 till you know what you want before upgrading...

btw, 18-105 is also a kit lens -_- but by no means is that to say that it cannot give you beautiful portrait shots.

Looks like you're still new to photography? I strongly suggest you to stick with the 18-105..if you know how to use it correctly and properly. It can gives you good background blur for your portraiture too. Before you ask which and which prime. Do you know the limitation of prime lenses? :)

Hahaha,i understand it is a kit lens but i paid higher price for it and it heavier. Its very bulky and very inconvinient to be honest. I want something which is light and i can bring arnd everywhr to capture candid and street photos. Thanks for your opinion man! :)

hmm, 425g heavy....:think: By m4/3 standards, yes. But by dslr lenses standards, I think it's light...

Let's put it this way... (from my perspective), 18-55 does weighs lighter (this lens weighs 265g..), but it gives you much lesser coverage in terms of focal length. IMO, 18-105 makes a better "candid lens" than 18-55.

And...If you were expecting DSLR + Lenses to weigh like compact P&S, I think you should consider going for m4/3 systems.

Last edited:
You did not state the focal length (24/1.4; 35/1.4; 50/1.4; 85/1.4)? Which one?

Buy what you are able to afford.
Not every portrait is about shooting it at wide open (often too shallow DOF).

As suggested by others, learn to use your 18-105 first.
Get to know its limitations/strengths and your preferred focal length before buying a new lens.

All brands (OEM or 3rd party) will have their good and bad (or not as good) lens.

Alright,appreciate it man! Last question,d'you think Nikon 1.8G is worth the money?
You did not state the focal length (24/1.4; 35/1.4; 50/1.4; 85/1.4)? Which one?

Buy what you are able to afford.
Not every portrait is about shooting it at wide open (often too shallow DOF).

As suggested by others, learn to use your 18-105 first.
Get to know its limitations/strengths and your preferred focal length before buying a new lens.

All brands (OEM or 3rd party) will have their good and bad (or not as good) lens.

Bangx3 said:
Alright,appreciate it man! Last question,d'you think Nikon 1.8G is worth the money?

If you don't know how to use it, no lens is worth the money.

Why not rent first?

frankly speaking, only you can justified whether its worth it or not.. I dontknow how does other people's opinion can help you. Unless you saying...if he/we say yes. Then you're just going to purchase 1? :eek:

Bangx3 said:

Haha but think of it this way:

If you buy just the 50mm prime, then you will realize that you can only shoot very tight shots with it considering the fact that you're on a crop body. Then it would make more sense to also bring the 18-105 out incase you ever need the extra tele/wide end right? If that's the case, why not just stick to the 18-105 in the first place? And save the
Money for the lens that YOU know YOU NEED :p

Use it and know its limitations before deciding on which lens to buy next that can overcome this limitation

End of the day, it all boils down to you, whether you wanna buy it or not. For now, absolute performance don't matter so just go for the cheaper one.

First prime lens? Try out the 50mm f1.8 since its the cheapest in the range. Don't have to worry about selling it off for money later on as well. :bsmilie:

Bangx3 said:
Hey guys,im kinda new to portrait photography and i wanna get into it. I need some suggestions and opinions. Im thinking of getting Sigma 1.4 cause i heard the bokeh is better than Nikon. But im still not sure which to get. Sigma 1.4,Nikon 1.4G or Nikon 1.8G? I love taking potrait shots/candid/group. I heard a lot of comments regarding Sigma having issues w focusing and stuff. For Nikon,i know that regarding the edge,its better than Sigma. Also,it will really help if you guys can roughly give me some rough quotes on the prices! Thanks! :)

Sometimes portraits are not just about bokeh bokeh and bokeh. If you're shooting one subject, yes shooting wide open to throw background into blur works. But for group shots or couple shots you're probably going to stop down to 5.6, and may need a lens wider than 85mm. That's when your 18-105 comes in handy.

Likewise if you're shooting studio or strobing, chances are you're shooting at f11 upwards.

Strange isn't it, that it's TS first post after 3 years of
Membership

You're right! I bought this camera about 3 years ago on impulse! After it dropped,I didnt even touch it until recently when i sent it for service! I neglected my camera for FAR too long! Right now,i feel like taking photographs as my hobby and also I've couple of bucks to spend on lens so thats why! :p
Wah, you really check his detail :)

Bangx3 said:
You're right! I bought this camera about 3 years ago on impulse! After it dropped,I didnt even touch it until recently when i sent it for service! I neglected my camera for FAR too long! Right now,i feel like taking photographs as my hobby and also I've couple of bucks to spend on lens so thats why! :p

Ok in this case.

Or either you can refer my web page and have some prime lens, then you can decide which one is more suitable for you and budget cost.

Cause I'll also same like you stop at almost 2 years back.

Cause sometime you have not idea to decide which one to buy and after see someone photo shots and you will getting some idea of paying in the budget lens still get the same results.

http://vintagephotograph.weebly.com/

Thanks

Last edited: