cant afford a 24-70mm and 28-70mm nikon len need alternative

kitaro9202

Oct 6, 2008
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
i currently thinking of tokina 28-70mm f2.8

but there are so many version dont know which one to choose

or what other model do you guys recommend?

How abt Tamron 24-70 f2.8? Dunno if it is within your budget. Definitely cheaper than Nikon version.

Get a new Tamron 28-75/2.8. A few years back, I got it new for $560.

Yup. The Tamron 28-75mm f-2.8 is the best bet for FX f/2.8 zoom lenses that costs less than $1,000.

Agree with that. Colour and sharpness no horse run. But not for fast action subject....

Do you need a zoom?

If not, you can consider using a mixture of f/1.8 primes

1) 20mm /f1.8G
2) 28mm f/1.8G
3) 35mm f/1.8G
4) 50mm f/1.8G
5) 85mm f/1.8G

Check out the most used focal lengths based on your old photos and either of the 2 to 3 lens listed could make up for the coverage unless you are doing events which I do suggest that you rent than buy.

The 28, 50 and 85mm f/1.8 combination should set you up no more than S$1,400
If you are not shooting long, 20,35 and 50mm f/1.8 combination should also set you about S$ 1,800

Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 (latest version) has it fair share of mix reviews. Didn't read deeper but worth checking it out.

i currently thinking of tokina 28-70mm f2.8

but there are so many version dont know which one to choose

or what other model do you guys recommend?

Photography is not your livelihood. If cannot afford now, hold and save. Dun force a compromise. Then each time, you use, you will still dream of your WANT lens and feel tak shiok. Wherereas, if dun buy, you will still dream but it will be a shiok feeling.

Tamron 24-70 is like Tenna/Camry as opposed to BMW5i. For most shooter, in practical situation, it will get the job done just as good. I dare say, if the lens design and construction remain exactly the same, but the Nikon make the "Tamron" and vice versa, the review will be much much positive. (you know, 3rd party lens cannot be so good one and cheap, there must be some faults and hence people start finding, or worst still, become a parrot amplifier without even touching it!.........)

Is f/2.8 your must? For other Nikon Lenses of equivalent range and good all-rounder lens for events would be the AFS24-85 f/3.5-4.5 or the AF24-85mm f/2.8-4D. Alternatively the old push-pull AF35-70 f/2.8D lens is also a good choice.

I believe these few lenses would not burn a big hole in your pocket. :)

Last edited:
Photography is not your livelihood. If cannot afford now, hold and save. Dun force a compromise. Then each time, you use, you will still dream of your WANT lens and feel tak shiok. Wherereas, if dun buy, you will still dream but it will be a shiok feeling.

Tamron 24-70 is like Tenna/Camry as opposed to BMW5i. For most shooter, in practical situation, it will get the job done just as good. I dare say, if the lens design and construction remain exactly the same, but the Nikon make the "Tamron" and vice versa, the review will be much much positive. (you know, 3rd party lens cannot be so good one and cheap, there must be some faults and hence people start finding, or worst still, become a parrot amplifier without even touching it!.........)

I would say, 3rd party lens is for fast ROI but not really a keeper. I do come across photographer friends who change his 'rice-bowl' lens every year. Of cos he is using a 3rd party made lens.

As for me, I got a 2nd hand AFS28-70 f/2.8D lens back 7yrs ago and still sticks to it well. So are my other Nikkors.

Perhaps you meant 24-120mm f/4G VR

That's a good suggestion for most travel/holiday uses

I think he meant the Sigma 25-105 F4 OS Art lens. Cheaper but bulkier compared to Nikon 24-120 F4 VR.

I am in the same predicament, but am holding out till I can afford the Nikon 24-70mm.
I have been using the Tamron 28-75, and like some have pointed out, "tak-shiok", like somehow missing something.

I think he meant the Sigma 25-105 F4 OS Art lens. Cheaper but bulkier compared to Nikon 24-120 F4 VR.

my bad, I meant the 24-120 from Nikon. The 2nd hand ones are cheaper now since they've been bundled with the D750

for ur budget, if f2.8 zoom is not a must, u should consider 24/85vr, use the remaining to get one or two prime. You will have a zoom and prime len thats better than f2.8 len. Most importantly, LIGHT IN WEIGHT.