Canon's "softness"

Status
Not open for further replies.

fotojoy

Mar 10, 2005
Singapore, NE
Is it me or the camera? :dunno:
I'm getting pretty sick of the "softness" in all my pics... taken with the 400D.

I miss those really sharp and crisp pictures. :bheart:

Anyone facing the same "problem" as me?

I'm getting pretty sick of the "softness" in all my pics... taken with the 400D.

ya.. canon's cam produces soft images... tt's 1 reason to why nikon is better.. haha~

which lens are u using?

ya.. canon's cam produces soft images... tt's 1 reason to why nikon is better.. haha~

For a general use, you have to choose at least L Lens for this matter.
Since L Series will deliver better contrast & saturation which could improve general sharpness in return as well comparing the non-L one...

Nikon is better ? IMO Olympus is sharper than Nikon due to better color fidelity.. :)

Maybe you can share some pics you have taken and let us know what setting they were taken at and the lens you are using.

Anyway, you can tweak the sharpness in-camera.

fotojoy, there must be other factors causing the softness. Sharing a photo with us would be best.

Canon soft? see my macro shots. and its not a L lens that I'm using. even kit lens can produce sharp image. You need to post yr "soft" photo for us to see. Yr setting, lights condition all plays a part.

post a pic! that would help tremendously. can use flickr / photobucket / etc to upload

Have your tried using a tripods?

Have you exposed within the shutter speed best with hand held?

Have you used the optimum aperture?

Have you not shot into the sun or strong light source?

Have you not used a dirty and scratchy filter and your lens is covered with greasy finger marks?

Sell the 400D ASAP if the answers are yes. Many of us are waiting to pick up a cheap 400D. :bsmilie:

soft or out-of-focus?

ohh so it mean nikon never produced soft pic?? :think:

it does produce soft pic, but the tendency is lesser then of a canon body. i read about an article on canon's softness somewhere so it supports it as a fact. and also comparing my album shot with canon EOS and a nikon dSLR, the nikon one seems to be sharper in most of the photos...

Comparing with point and shoot?

I've used Nikon SLR (not DSLR) for film - no complain
My first digital - Point & Shoot compact A95 - very sharp! But it's "Sharpened" by camera algorithm
My first DSLR - Canon EOS 350D - compared with my compact, it's much softer. But I concluded it's due to camera algorithm. It sharpens way much lesser than a point and shoot.

Showed the output to a small group of my friends who's not into photography and they said images taken using my A95 is more appealing - sharper, more contrasty.

So what I did was to post process - sharpen a little, boosted contrast n brightness a little, and I'm done! Sharp, contrasty, yet "natural" looking. Not overly sharpened, overly punchy colours.

As for Nikon is sharper.. well, just got to know that different camera (even under same brand) may differs in its algorithm. Also, Nikon's kit lenses are better than Canon's.

Canon's EF-S 18-55 do have dozens of lemon copies out there.. Must be lucky enough to get a better copy. Even then, low light focusing is :rolleyes:
But since I shoot more towards telephoto end, I've decided to "skimp" on wide angle, use the kit lens, and bought a 70-200 F4L non IS instead :D

I don't think the softness is on the Camera body. It shld be on the lens or the skill ;p.

Below are some shots using my 350D with Canon 17-85mm IS lens which I find its very sharp:

Merry Xmas to all! ;)

I don't think the softness is on the Camera body. It shld be on the lens or the skill.

Below are some shots using my 350D with Canon 17-85mm IS lens which I find its very sharp:

Merry Xmas to all! ;)

i dun find it crisp and sharp at all.. :bsmilie: anyone thinks differently from me?

I think maybe after you take a photograph, you may still need to sharpen it :)
Especially if you shoot RAW :)

Or do you mean that your focus is not accurate?

I admit that I also *think* that the Nikon images seem sharper :p

I would say that yes, definitely, images from Canon DSLR's are usually soft right out of the camera. This is a feature, not a defect.

Why? Many cameras (including Canon P&S cameras) employ in-camera sharpening, so the images come out very nice and sharp. But they also happen to be a bit more grainy, and there is loss of image detail and jaggy artifacts.

The images from a Canon DSLR definitely require post-processing to get the most out of them, but the detail is preserved, and it is up to you how much sharpening you want to employ. In fact, with judicious use of smart sharpening (ie only sharpening edges) you can actually get much better and sharper looking final images, while at the same time preserving creamy background bokeh.

Have your tried using a tripods?

Have you exposed within the shutter speed best with hand held?

Have you used the optimum aperture?

Have you not shot into the sun or strong light source?

Have you not used a dirty and scratchy filter and your lens is covered with greasy finger marks?

Sell the 400D ASAP if the answers are yes. Many of us are waiting to pick up a cheap 400D. :bsmilie:

hi sorry for OT-ing..just want to comfirm..when lets say i am shooting at 50mm, my shutter speed should be 1/50 or faster right?(a general rule...) in other words.. 50mm can be 1/50,1/60, 1/70...right?

Status
Not open for further replies.