Canon's Photo Competition for Buskers Festival

Status
Not open for further replies.

denniskee

Oct 26, 2003
bukit batok
Visit site
Received reply from Canon Singapore, confirm it is for Digital Photography.

What has this world become?? Is there no value for conventional equipment?? :(

Spoke to Ms Tan W.L. from Canon Singapore, they do not even allows submission of scaned photo. So my plan of taking part using scaned photos cannot work.

Any better ideas??

Why do you think Canon is sponsoring so many photo competitions/events? It's for marketing of their digital imaging products. ;)

Agree... Force the human race to drop film camera and switch over to digital camera.

sfhuang said:
Why do you think Canon is sponsoring so many photo competitions/events? It's for marketing of their digital imaging products. ;)

it kind of funny since canon is trying to promote the eos 300 series and eos 3000 lately. Wonder what are they thinking, selling film camera on one hand but discouraging potential user from using it?? :bigeyes:

since when are they discouraging users from using it? many film users are fine using them. competition is just ONE small area which many photographers use their cameras for.

The rules of the game is to follow the rules. :)

What if the competition rules says only film users can participate, so will all the digital users complain? But again, to play the game, follow the rules. It's that simple.

Hi

Is EXIF info required for this competition.

I am thinking of shooting RAW with s2pro and convert to TIF then to JPG, therefore losing my EXIF information.

Luv_dance said:
I am thinking of shooting RAW with s2pro and convert to TIF then to JPG, therefore losing my EXIF information.

Don't need so high-end one lah. They're looking for creativity, not technical perfection.
:cool:

Digital only again..........so unfair :( :cry:

sfhuang said:
Don't need so high-end one lah. They're looking for creativity, not technical perfection.
:cool:

I personally take in RAW for all my shots and convert when I need to. Frankly speaking, if you ask me to take pictures in JPG mode these days, I would rather not waste the effort and end up with inferior quality images that are only adequate for screen display / small print size. For me, it's 300D RAW --> CaptureONE --> Photoshop for final processing --> print (more than A3 size) / screen.

As far as I have experienced previously with 300D RAW --> Adobe Camera RAW --> Photoshop, the EXIF info is kept intact. Having checked it out with CaptureONE yet, I don't think it should be a problem.

teL said:
Frankly speaking, if you ask me to take pictures in JPG mode these days, I would rather not waste the effort and end up with inferior quality images that are only adequate for screen display / small print size.

I've seen a lot of superior photos and flawless prints as big as A3 taken using a 4mp prosumer camera shoot in JPEG. To me, file format contributes very little to image quality, just dont talk about post processing.

BTW, I'll be going to the Buskers festival and shoot jpeg all the way. :)

Sgt. Pepper said:
I've seen a lot of superior photos and flawless prints as big as A3 taken using a 4mp prosumer camera shoot in JPEG. To me, file format contributes very little to image quality, just dont talk about post processing.

BTW, I'll be going to the Buskers festival and shoot jpeg all the way. :)

I don't dispute the fact that "flawless" prints as big as A3 can be taken with a 4MP prosumer camera shooting in JPEG mode. In fact, my entire ARPS portfolio was taken with a Powershot G3 (4MP) in JPEG mode enlarged to A3. However, I've never looked back since switching to RAW and RAW is the way to go for me these days :)

teL said:
I don't dispute the fact that "flawless" prints as big as A3 can be taken with a 4MP prosumer camera shooting in JPEG mode. In fact, my entire ARPS portfolio was taken with a Powershot G3 (4MP) in JPEG mode enlarged to A3. However, I've never looked back since switching to RAW and RAW is the way to go for me these days :)

ARPS !!! :bigeyes: *drool*...

May i know what is the meaning of this rule:
Images for download must be in JPEG format, and should not be more than 2MB (1600 x 1200 pixels) in file size.

Does it mean we have to do our own resizing or compression to the file to make it less than 2MB? Also how do they check for image manipulation like slight adjustment to curves, etc.

shutterfly said:
May i know what is the meaning of this rule:
Images for download must be in JPEG format, and should not be more than 2MB (1600 x 1200 pixels) in file size.

Does it mean we have to do our own resizing or compression to the file to make it less than 2MB? Also how do they check for image manipulation like slight adjustment to curves, etc.

Good question. My impressions of this comp are as follows - they've designed it so that you're supposed to go and take photos with your low mp prosumer digi-cam, bring the cam to their stand on the day, download your pics to their comp, resize and print on the spot.

This doesn't work for anyone with serious DSLR gear. Why? Cos shooting in RAW firstly. I asked them about this manipulation issue. Said is it ok to convert from RAW to JPG first? The guy at the stand didn't know what i was talking about - had to ask someone else, who said was ok.

Of course, when converting from RAW to JPG, all sorts of so called 'manipulations' could be done (exposure, brightness, contrast, saturation, sharpness etc.) Is this allowed or not? I don't have an answer. What about straight downsizing? Sharpness is lost - so not allowed to resharpen?

Anyway, how would they know what digital workflow the image had gone through?

Also no mention of whether cropping is allowed or not.

It's $5 per image submitted also. And they did say they could download from CD-R.

Compare this to the 'Christmas Moments' comp at Raffles - all need to submit is an 8R print - no rules at all about digital manipulations and both film and digitial allowed.

Thanks for the reply, Royce. Instructions given are really vague and they expect us to follow. Furthermore, I dun think you will know if your slightly manipulated photos will get disqualified or not on the spot. They simply accept your $5 per entry. Is there a christmas competition coming up?

Status
Not open for further replies.