Canon's 400D or Nikon's D80

Status
Not open for further replies.

costie86

May 18, 2007
Bukit Batok
Hi everyone!
I'm new to this forum and also just starting out with photography. I will be buying a DSLR soon and I need some help in which one to go for..
This kind of qns has been asked a thousand times but i still hope to get some advices from u people. :)

I've come down to this 2, Canon's 400D or Nikon's D80..
(Took out D40x when I read that it can be quite limited.. and that it can Auto focus only with AF-S or AF-I lenses..)

So far, I sort of lean towards D80 but there are a few concerns..
I know that there are a couple of functions that canon have which nikon doesn't..
Like the dust reduction thing.. is it really useful and necessary?

And I'm concerned abt which one's AF is better? Metering and Lenses wise?
And 'userbility'(not sure whether the right word to use or not, think i'm refering to the ease of using, handling and operation..)?
Is there significant differences?

Another concern is, which one should i go for with abt $2k budget?
I wun be getting extra lenses in the near future, will be learning with the kit lens first.
Is that budget too tight for D80 kit?

I think thats all for now, :embrass: sorry bout the length.. Thanx for your time!:D
Any suggestions and advices will be greatly appreciated.

ps. btw, one of the reasons i lean towards D80 is I dun see myself changing/upgrading this DSLR that I will be getting..
afraid that I'll probably have to with 400D, correct me if I'm wrong. :)

The biggest problem I have with the 400D is that it's WAY too small. Very uncomfortable to hold and not SLR like at all. Some people prefer this of course (small hands or just like compact bodies), but for me, I just don't like holding it. If you don't like holding the camera you won't use it as much as you would otherwise. Have you tried it out?

The next biggest problem is the lack of a dedicated LCD for information like battery charge left, aperture, shutter speed, ISO, etc. Using the main LCD to display all this information might not use that much energy but it feels a tad troublesome (for me) to not be able to battery life/remaining shots left while browsing through pictures.

The 30D is in the same pricerange as the D80 by the way, and IMO is worth considering.

so, for the size and weight thing, i'll really have to go try it out myself.. :)
and yup, noted that it'll be useful with the LCD for those extra informations.. Thanx!:D

Anymore? users of both cameras can tell me more about this 2 camera?
or are there any suggestions on how i can choose one over the other?

like what was mentioned in an earlier post, these two cameras are both very good performers and hence it's done to what suits you best. perhaps handling both would give you a better idea.

btw, why only canon and nikon? there are other cameras from other brands in the similar spec range which are respectible as well.

a good example would be the pentax k10d. i'm personally looking at the olympus e510 (which will be launched in a month's time), and deciding between that and a d80.

good luck with your decision, as i haven't decided upon which camera i'm getting yet. :sweat:

just get a battery grip with the 400D and the "too small" problem goes away, and u have the additional option to travel small and light with the 400D without grip. Coming from a previous DSLR with a dedicated LCD for shutter/aperture, I initially thought that the 400D, only having one screen will be a handicap. AFter using it, this thought just disappeared. The one LCD concept has been implemented very well by Canon. All the info you need is crisp and clear on the rear LCD in big fonts. Seriously, since you are not even using the rear LCD for framing the shot, why need an extra LCD just for the shutter/aperture info? might as well use the main LCD since it is not in use during shooting mode :) Go try out the 400D yourself before deciding.

I thought I'd stick 2 these 2 big brands to be on a safer side..
since i'm like a total newbie in this area, figured that it'll be better to stick to the big brands..

ok, I'd like to try both cameras out and decide..
wads the best way to do this? go down to the shop that i'll most likely be buying from and try there? any suggestion which shop?

you can just drop by the stores like harvey norman, courts or best while shopping... for CP or AL .. you get to go down purposely.... better to try first.. you may want to wait for coming IT show :)

I really do have problem for holding 400D.. .. as RICLEO suggested you.. i bought battery grip.. it's solved.. as long as you don't mind to carry heavier one :p...

For me:

Canon 400D. Like others said, the battery grip solved the small and toy a like problem.

Any particular why 400D?
1. Noise reduction - Good Noise reduction even on higher ISO (good in night shots too)
2. Dust Reduction - Auto sensor cleaning when you turning off
3. Price - 400D is very much cheaper than D80
4. Canon has more selections of lenses than Nikon
5. Nikon uses other brand sensor (Sony) ;p
6 Canon - "Delighting You Always" :)

See comparison also from DPReview

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/com...side&cameras=canon_eos400d,nikon_d80&show=all

Thanks guys! for all ur advices and suggestions! and Thanks, allylaurente! for all the pros and cons listed there haha.. :D

Anymore users of either camera who can state their opinion on this? maybe compare them abit for me? ;)

Thanks guys! for all ur advices and suggestions! and Thanks, allylaurente! for all the pros and cons listed there haha.. :D

Anymore users of either camera who can state their opinion on this? maybe compare them abit for me? ;)

too much information is not good also, cause you start to think a lot what to buy

anyone will be good, its whether u like L lens or tinity lens

Suggest you take a look at this thread by zoossh first man.

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=245883

There are quite a number of things to consider like budget, the sensor used, the type of camera for different usage Eg. Sports and Action, Still Life etc.

The best is to go down and "feel" the 2 different type of camera itself or maybe u can take a look at the photos taken the camera of the 2 brands. But of course, the person behind the camera counts. Haha.

Do some readup and decide yourself ba. If not, you could cause a "war" between Nikonians and Canonians!!! Haha. Cheers!

Think either one will give excellent results in the hands of a capable photographer. In the hands of an incompetent one, well, even a pro-level SLR will give lousy results. So don't worry, either one will be a decent buy. Just choose the one that you like more.

I am using an EOS 300D but have handled both the 400D and D80. Of the 2 my tactile preference is the D80... nice weight and size, lovely shutter release... 400D small and light. 400D slightly too small but compactness has it's own virtues. I was blown away by the D80's flash performance though (external flash, not built in). So easy to get beautiful flash pictures. Heard the guys at john 3:16 also telling a customer that Nikon's flash integration is the industy leader... I don't know about that but I was suitably impressed by it with my friend's D80/

Despite being a 20 yr EOS user, I think I would choose the D80 if I was starting from scratch. It feels nicer!:)

I support the 2 major brands nevertheless. However, some posts are quite skewered. I am here to balance the scale. I would vote for D80 still (Comparing to 400D).

This Canon VS Nikon question will go on and on until the end of time. In making your choice, truly believe that you ought to go to a store, try them both, and see which camera feels better to you. Of course, having good close friends with plenty of lenses using a Canon or Nikon system will also play a big part in your decision making process.
For me, I chose a D80 a few months ago, and I haven't regretted it since!

sorry that, i m new too, i dun have enough knowledges about this two, the time when i decided to get a dslr, i face the same prob like u, but i always know i want d80 just main prob was my budget.

i din do tons of research as well coz it will only confusing me and make me even harder to make my decision, at the end i still go for d80, untill now i nv regret coz it is nice and i think the functions of it are much better than 400d... and yet, the body, 400d does like a toy, i wont like it....

sorry that, i m new too, i dun have enough knowledges about this two, the time when i decided to get a dslr, i face the same prob like u, but i always know i want d80 just main prob was my budget.

i din do tons of research as well coz it will only confusing me and make me even harder to make my decision, at the end i still go for d80, untill now i nv regret coz it is nice and i think the functions of it are much better than 400d... and yet, the body, 400d does like a toy, i wont like it....

price of 30D kit have drop a lot, almost reaching the price of D80, its a better buy.

Perhaps its a better idea to hop over to the nearest camera shop for a camera test run
or
If you have photo-friends(all major brands), try out their gears...soon you'll know which one is the one for you. :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.