Canonet QL17 HELP!!

Dec 13, 2008
My canonet shutter button isn't working!! I tried pressing it down, it works but no "click" sound!
the rewinding of the film is okay.

For normal slrs, you have to rewind then press shutter button, hear a "click" means your photo is taken. BUT mine allows me to rewind, press shutter button but NO "click" sound. :(

I tried to set the timer to test if my shutter button is working, it isn't!? When i rewind the film, the moment i press my shutter button, there isn't any "click" sound and the timer did not start! :dunno:

Did i accidentally spoil it?? If i did.. may i know if any experienced slr owners know if this is repairable and how much will it cost me? :cry:

ed9119

Staff member
Mar 11, 2002
Singapore
www.walkeast.com
.. may i know if any experienced slr owners know if this is repairable and how much will it cost me? :cry:

even no 'click' .............. is the shutter firing when the shutter button is depressed ? and at correct speeds ?

BTW the Canonet is a ragefinder not a slr

best that you bring it for repair in one of the shops at Peninsula or Adelphi

Dec 13, 2008
even no 'click' .............. is the shutter firing when the shutter button is depressed ? and at correct speeds ?

BTW the Canonet is a ragefinder not a slr

best that you bring it for repair in one of the shops at Peninsula or Adelphi

"BTW the Canonet is a ragefinder not a slr" sorry, i must have panicked.. :( yeahh no click sound no matter what speed.. Yeah, do you think it will be costly?

ed9119

Staff member
Mar 11, 2002
Singapore
www.walkeast.com
could be trigger mechanism worn until almost 'soundless' in which case it a question of part availability ...........and using it until trigger can no longer trigger the shutter

....... u did not answer if the shutter STILL works when shutter button depressed

ed9119

Staff member
Mar 11, 2002
Singapore
www.walkeast.com
hope this helps

Canonet Repair Manual

I keep a few vintage cameras that are still in working condition ......if you REALLY LOVE the camera you should have a habit to TRY as much as possible to keep a 2ND broken/non-working unit to cannibalize for parts when things in the WORKING specimen break down in future

If I understand correctly the various variations of the Canonet during the 70s almost all have common parts (eg. shutter and release mechanism) so getting old parts is not difficult

Last edited:

ed9119

Staff member
Mar 11, 2002
Singapore
www.walkeast.com
pls move this thread to 'Rangefinders and Compacts' section of the forum....... its more appropriate and u might get more help

Last edited:
Top Bottom