Canon700d and Nikon 3300

tnecniv

Jan 25, 2012
May I know which is a better camera for beginner? Sorry if the similar question has been asked several times.

Canon has most flexibility. You can even mount Nikkor / Nikon Lens on Canon through adapter but not vice versa...

Not much diff imho

Go down to the shops and have a feel for it yourself. The answer will be simpler than you think.

Since you are phrasing the question as such, I would guess that both the camera will be able to serve your needs well.

I saw some site actually say the IQ from canon is much inferior to nikon. Is that really true?

I will be interested to know which website is it...

I have been seeing amazing pictures by older camera offerings from both brands in flickr. So I'm not sure what is this inferior iq you are referring to.

I saw some site actually say the IQ from canon is much inferior to nikon. Is that really true?

Nonsense. Canon's image quality is no inferior to any brand and it speaks true for other brands too. And you can forget about DXOmark reports, which only focus on sensor...

The main thing is... you wouldn't be able to tell a difference, the thing that differs is... its ergonomic... some people like the feels of Nikon more, some like Canon more, others like Pentax, Sony, Samsung, and whatsoever.

When you mentioned for "beginner", I am assuming some one whose is new to photography.

Both cameras are very good & will serve the user very well.

Why only look at DSLR, for a beginner one has plenty of other options to choose from Olympus, Fuji, Pentax & Sony.

The Nikon D3300 is an entry level DSLR camera in Nikon's line up.

The Canon 700D has much more features than the D3300 and will suit seasoned photographers more.

If you really fixed on these models, why not drop by DPREVIEW and read the comprehensive review on both cameras. If still cant decide, borrow or rent a set and try it out.

No one brand of camera is better than the other, each brand has its core strength and weaknesses.

It is the person behind the camera that makes the picture. ;)

Last edited:
Thanks for the input! I will get down to shops to have a better feel.

Does olympus pen series lens works on nikon and canon using adapter? What is the adapter call? Thanks

I seriously doubt it will work... m43 lens on apsc.

1) No, the Olympus PEN lens will not work on a Nikon or Canon DSLR body.

2) You can mount Olympus OM lenses on Nikon & Canon DLSR bodies by replacing the mount on the Olympus OM lens. Manual focus, manual aperture control & manual exposure.

3) You can mount Nikon AIS lenses or Canon FD lenses on the Olympus PEN body with an adapter. Manual focus, manual aperture control & manual exposure.

4) Do you really want to do that?

Last edited:
Thanks for the answer. I have a pen mini thats why i was thinking if lens can be shared between the dslr and mirrorless. How about pen using nikon/canon lens?

Yes you can mount Nikon lenses (from pre AI to the AFD series) & Canon FD lenses on the Oly PEN with adapter.

You will need to do manual focus, manual aperture control & manual exposure.

Thanks for the answer. I have a pen mini thats why i was thinking if lens can be shared between the dslr and mirrorless. How about pen using nikon/canon lens?

You can use your olympus pen mini, or EPM-1/2 camera to take very good photos, without needing to change gears to a entry level nikon or canon. In fact, it is a very good beginner camera. It does allows for manual setting too. The money can be better spent on buying lenses for the Pen-mini and see what you can achieve.

Last edited:
Both brand produce amazing pictures, I just find that canon colour is warmer than nikon. which can easily change in pp.

Since you already have a Pen Mini, why don't you looked into upgrading into EM10 or Panasonic's G-series of MSC? I would think that is a better choice. Don't worry about pic IQ, because the olympus and Panasonic all made excellent camera with IQ comparable and in some cases surpasses APS-C camera.

Hi , as shared by Rhino and some of the brothers here.

The EPM2 uses the same sensor as the EPL5 , making it more than decent as a camera. The main difference is just that as EPM2 is marketed as a camera for PnS shooters, some people might have misunderstood the lack of dials , buttons to mean its a not so good camera.

Mounting a good MFT glass such as even the old Pana 20/1.7 or new Oly 25/1.8 or even the new O12-40/2.8 (will be very front heavy!) will definitely already give u better IQ than the kit lenses of the 2 Canon and Nikon models u r considering. I've actually given away a 550D kit because I already had my EM5 , 12-35/2.8 kit then.

Hence maybe can I ask what is it u find lacking in the current EPM that makes u wana upgrade ? Because u wan 2 venture into taking more controls or because that the DSLR look seems more 'serious' or ?

Don't worry about being flamed , it's always good to be honest about your needs so the kind people here can help u better. :)

Agree that the EPM probably has image quality that is good enough for more than 90% of a casual user's needs. Unless you find yourself requiring more manual controls, otherwise you may not stand to gain as much from upgrading or making a lateral switch to Canikon DSLRs.

Coincidentally I played with an EPM2 today. Aside from the lack of a dial or two, I was actually quite happy with using it! My friend had the 20mm and 45mm primes. Images looked great on the LCD.

Hi , as shared by Rhino and some of the brothers here.

The EPM2 uses the same sensor as the EPL5 , making it more than decent as a camera. The main difference is just that as EPM2 is marketed as a camera for PnS shooters, some people might have misunderstood the lack of dials , buttons to mean its a not so good camera.

Mounting a good MFT glass such as even the old Pana 20/1.7 or new Oly 25/1.8 or even the new O12-40/2.8 (will be very front heavy!) will definitely already give u better IQ than the kit lenses of the 2 Canon and Nikon models u r considering. I've actually given away a 550D kit because I already had my EM5 , 12-35/2.8 kit then.

Hence maybe can I ask what is it u find lacking in the current EPM that makes u wana upgrade ? Because u wan 2 venture into taking more controls or because that the DSLR look seems more 'serious' or ?

Don't worry about being flamed , it's always good to be honest about your needs so the kind people here can help u better. :)

Im having problem taking non blur photo under low-light condition(e.g. room) using reasonable shutter speed without tripod with my epm1. I was also thinking about getting a better lens instead of using the kit len. This could be due to my poor handling or cos the camera has little space for grip.

However, knowing myself I might get bored with my epm1 cos its "not serious look", i decided not to change lens.
I scare I upgrade lens later I wan to change to dslr den all the len I cant use..that is y i asked if the epm lens can be used on dslr.

Last edited: