Canon Warrenty Not Transferable???

kenny888

Oct 24, 2003
Visit site
Hi all,

I've a Canon set which i did not register online. So today dunno for what reason, suddenly have to mood so created and account only to realized that i've misplaced the warrenty card. Anyway i've called up Canon helpdesk and the help me to verify the warrenty status.

Fair enough since its a local set from Canon Singapore, they say the warrenty will be honored. Later on i proceed to call again to seek advice with online registration since its impossible to register without the warrenty registration code also. Again they help me with that.

Finally, something struck my mind, is the warrenty transferable? So once again, i called up again and was told it is NOT transferable. Once it is registered under a person's name, another person cannot claim the warrenty.

Oh gosh... as i've called so many times in a row, i decided to stop for a moment. And its already almost 5.30 which their helpdesk will be closed. Wondering if anyone of u guys know anything about this? So long no one register the online warrenty thingy, anyone can claim rite? but if its registered.... no one can claim warrenty, not even the first 1 yr warrenty, except the registered guy? am i right? just a bit puzzled. coz noticed that quite some clubsnappers actually did registered the online warrenty under their name. soo when they resell their item.. its just AS GOOD AS HAVING NO WARRENTY? am i right to say that?

hope someone who has experience this before can clarify this matter. tks so much.

Hi all,

I've a Canon set which i did not register online. So today dunno for what reason, suddenly have to mood so created and account only to realized that i've misplaced the warrenty card. Anyway i've called up Canon helpdesk and the help me to verify the warrenty status.

Fair enough since its a local set from Canon Singapore, they say the warrenty will be honored. Later on i proceed to call again to seek advice with online registration since its impossible to register without the warrenty registration code also. Again they help me with that.

Finally, something struck my mind, is the warrenty transferable? So once again, i called up again and was told it is NOT transferable. Once it is registered under a person's name, another person cannot claim the warrenty.

Oh gosh... as i've called so many times in a row, i decided to stop for a moment. And its already almost 5.30 which their helpdesk will be closed. Wondering if anyone of u guys know anything about this? So long no one register the online warrenty thingy, anyone can claim rite? but if its registered.... no one can claim warrenty, not even the first 1 yr warrenty, except the registered guy? am i right? just a bit puzzled. coz noticed that quite some clubsnappers actually did registered the online warrenty under their name. soo when they resell their item.. its just AS GOOD AS HAVING NO WARRENTY? am i right to say that?

hope someone who has experience this before can clarify this matter. tks so much.

why do need to transfer by the way, i bought so many second hand lens which is still under warranty, never bother to transfer name. When sent for servicing at CSC, they only check if the set is still under warranty, if yes, they will service, if no warranty, they will charge.

and sometimes they do ask you if the lens is bought second hand since the last owner and your IC not the same, you can just tell them you bought second hand and they can help you to update the lens under your name.

Is it really important for the lens to be under your name, the most last 15mths.:)

Last edited:
Hi all,

As long as you provied the name registered with will do. Sometimes they don't even ask.

yeah.. i don't remember they asking your name even if u send in your equipment for servicing/repair.. so it doesn't matter even if the equipment is not registered under your name..

what lens you want to transfer to your name?

when u send in for servicing, they will transfer, or just leave it (i'm not sure too)
they just ask, mr xxx right? then i'll give my name, and they just update it.

Hi all,

I thought warranty is under serial number and not a person's name:dunno:

just say u sending it for a friend if they actually ask which in most cases they don't

I recalled I sold my Canon camera at Buy/Sell. I passed everything to the new owner. One fine day, Canon called me up and told me they did the servicing and the camera is ready for collection:confused: Luckily I still have the buyer's contact and I just happily passed the message to him.

So shouldn't be a problem:)

I recalled I sold my Canon camera at Buy/Sell. I passed everything to the new owner. One fine day, Canon called me up and told me they did the servicing and the camera is ready for collection:confused: Luckily I still have the buyer's contact and I just happily passed the message to him.

So shouldn't be a problem:)

haha, must be he forgot to leave his contact.

i don't see a problem, i'm sure canon is more than aware that the second hand market is a booming business, especially in singapore. :bsmilie:

even more so in singapore, where lenses are bought and sold like hot cakes , before the warranty is even up. :bsmilie:

hi dude,

lolx no lah, i am NOT keen in registering my name for the lens, thats y i stopped halfway during registration and call up Canon to see if its transferable. coz i definitely going to sell off the lens. so i was tinking if its not transferrable, the the new owner will not be able to use the warrenty then jia lat also lol.

why do need to transfer by the way, i bought so many second hand lens which is still under warranty, never bother to transfer name. When sent for servicing at CSC, they only check if the set is still under warranty, if yes, they will service, if no warranty, they will charge.

and sometimes they do ask you if the lens is bought second hand since the last owner and your IC not the same, you can just tell them you bought second hand and they can help you to update the lens under your name.

Is it really important for the lens to be under your name, the most last 15mths.:)

hi all tks for the replies, lol i think some of u got it wrong, its not that i'm so crazy over about getting lens transferred to my name or what. i'm not into all these, just play around since yesterday i have the mood when i surf Canon website lol. i'm just tinking of the issue of.. whether if say after registering, will the new owner be able to get the warrenty or not. if not then i might as well dont touch it and anyway also cannot published it as its still under warrenty since its not transferable lol. if not its just as good as cheating them man.

and the Canon helpdesk lady sound like so serious when i asked about it, thats y lOL! the first thing she ask is "oooo so did u already registered ur name?" i told her no. then she say "okay, then its okie, coz its not transferrable and only the registered owner can get the warrenty coverage". LOL! thats y sounds scary.

tks... i think i alr got the answers from the many replies.

tks a lot. really.

Last edited:
just register under your name if lens not yet register.

there is no such things as warranty will void if change owner, if not the buy and sell forum will not indicates the warranty period.

if register under others name, no need to transfer to you name as warranty will still be valid.

There is no such thing in CSC. They only recognise the product and Serial No. Not the person who bring to CSC for servicing.

Only extended warranty from Havery Norman will recognise Name registered with the product.

and the Canon helpdesk lady sound like so serious when i asked about it, thats y lOL! the first thing she ask is "oooo so did u already registered ur name?" i told her no. then she say "okay, then its okie, coz its not transferrable and only the registered owner can get the warrenty coverage". LOL! thats y sounds scary.
tks a lot. really.

there is no such thing.

i have once send my brother cam for repair at canon service center... they didn't even ask for my name... they just look at the warranty card and cam...

and anyway is there some kind of extended warranty when u register online? maybe if there is extended warranty the "other" user won't get tat benefit

There is no such thing in CSC. They only recognise the product and Serial No. Not the person who bring to CSC for servicing.

Only extended warranty from Havery Norman will recognise Name registered with the product.

:eek: for extended warranty, CSC will still honour to service it even if it is not under your name right?