Canon Warranty Qn - Receipt issues

fieryglazer

Jul 23, 2009
Hi guys!

Got a qn that i cant seem to find the answer on google.

Lets say i decided to buy a camera from a store, and the store issues an receipt for me. Do canon check if the receipt comes from an official reseller before they honor their warranty? Or do canon just check the date of purchase of the receipt thats all? I am abit confused.

However, if they do check the date of receipt only, what is preventing all those shops selling used camera products to issue new receipts on their old products so that they can renew their warranty?

Appreciate the comments/replies.:cool:

Hi guys!

Got a qn that i cant seem to find the answer on google.

Lets say i decided to buy a camera from a store, and the store issues an receipt for me. Do canon check if the receipt comes from an official reseller before they honor their warranty? Or do canon just check the date of purchase of the receipt thats all? I am abit confused.

However, if they do check the date of receipt only, what is preventing all those shops selling used camera products to issue new receipts on their old products so that they can renew their warranty?

That's why they are encouraging people to register their warranty and gain +3 months warranty... Once u register, that serial number is tied down.

Next....

I think u need to be aware of the fact that Canon itself is the sole distributor for ALL Canon products in Singapore. Every piece has a serial number and is trackable. Those that are not listed in their system are considered "grey" sets, not under local warranty.

Of course it makes sense that as the sole supplier, they will have the list of stores they supply to. Valid store/official reseller or not, once they key into the system, they will know. When they supply, they actually sell that piece of "good" to the store. U will see that date if u send in ur equipment for repair. The date that Canon supplied/sell that piece of good to the store.

(I'll use lens as an example of camera product in this example)
ok for eg, u are a retail store carrying Canon products. Canon supply to u this lens 50mm f1.8 on 1st Jan 2010, one piece only. Serial number is 123-01. 2 months later, u order another 10 pieces more from Canon due to it's popularity, many requests for it, and fast selling rate(take note that retailers will not stock up things which are not popular and hard to sell). And then u sold off all 10 pieces in 2 months and order 10 pieces again. this keeps going on for the year every 2 months. By then u would have ordered 60 pieces on 31 dec 2010, serial number would have been 123-60 by then(this is an example so just take the numbers as ascending order).

sure there is a loophole in this system if the 123-01 warranty has not been registered by the end of the year and u can argue u have not sold this piece. One year may not be significant, but how about 2,3 years. U can't possibly pull it off that long, yup. And they supply so many lens to so many retail stores country-wide. If we were not using an example, the serial could have gone to 123-1000 by year end 31 dec 2010.

This might not necessary apply to products which does not have high selling rates. And end of the day, it is most important to register ur product to prevent any chance of this happening and only buy stuffs from reputable stores as listed, they will not sell u used stuffs.

Like what takafan said, Canon can track stock movements easily. And the store can probably explain one incident away. But how much can they get away with? Do it a few more times, and Canon will get wise. They are not stupid u know.

Noted guys! Many Thanks for the replies:bsmilie: