Canon Warranty Plus w Accidental Damage Protection worth buying?

junnnhaooo

Sep 1, 2017
Singapore
Hi, I just bought my first Canon L lens, 24-70mm f2.8L ii usm. I'm wondering if I should purchase the extended warranty w Accidental Damage Protection (ADP) for $300 which cover 2 additional year on top of the standard warranty. Is it worth buying?

Hi, I just bought my first Canon L lens, 24-70mm f2.8L ii usm. I'm wondering if I should purchase the extended warranty w Accidental Damage Protection (ADP) for $300 which cover 2 additional year on top of the standard warranty. Is it worth buying?

Congratz on jumping on the L train! As they say, once you go L, you can never go back XD

With regard to your question, in my experience, warranty ONLY covers for servicing fee and not for any part replacements. I had to pay for a lens mount replacement the last time I broke my lens and sent it for repairs which I think is pretty reasonable(Though I did have to call canon up to explain before they waived the servicing fee). On other accounts of minor AF issues they were also very nice to take it in and fix it without charge under warranty.

Also just to note, if you read the terms and conditions for ADP, it mentions:

Warranty Plus and ADP does not cover:

Loss or damage to Equipment arising from or in connection with (i) abuse, tampering modification and/or disassembling other than by Canon authorised personnel; (ii) negligent use and/or misuse (including improper storage, exposure to moisture, excessive temperature, sand, dust, dirt, other pollution or other environmental conditions and failure to follow recommended precautions and operating instructions); (iii) fire, flood, lightning, strike or other acts of God; (iv) defective consumable items such as battery leakage; and (v) accidental damage. Except that the foregoing exclusions will not apply to ADP to the extent that they are considered by Canon to be caused by accident.

So, if you are prone to damaging your equipment by accident and not by the aforementioned "other" means, you should probably go for the extended warranty. Servicing costs for L lenses are pretty substantial. If you don't tend to break something too often then the 12+3 month warranty should be sufficient.

Last edited:
Hi pwnies5600.

Oh really, I didn't know they are so kind hearted to repair it without any cost for your EF issue. However, have you purchase the extended warranty before? Does the serving fee for your broken lens cost more than the extended warranty ($200 w/o ADP, $300 w ADP).

Insurance is a transfer of risk and buying a peace of mind. In this case you transfer the risk, for an additional 2 years, equipment malfunction and accidental damage to Canon. Only the owner can determine if it is worth the price. If the lens sits in the dry cabinet 11 months in a year, then, in my opinion, the risk is is relatively low. However, if you are going to shoot every other day, then accidental damage protection may not be a bad idea.

Just want to add that it is a good idea to know the T&Cs and the coverage.
Note that you have to buy the coverage within one month of the purchase of the lens and the warranty/accident protection coverage is not transferable should you sell your lens.

I personally have never bought the extended warranty before. Haven't run into much problems with my gear, except the occasional visit to the service center to get something checked out. You can refer to the pricelist here for the charges.

The most recent piece of kit I sent in for servicing (I think) was probably my 7D2. Shutter issue, but it was under the 12+3 limited warranty so they replaced the whole shutter mechanism. Didn't cost me anything because the people at the service center deemed it as a manufacturing defect, but your mileage may vary depending on what the issue is and what kind of damage they classify it as. So really, it's up to you. For me I use my equipment heavily on a day to day basis so if there are defects and other issues they show up fairly early, and I'm not the kind to shoot in inclement weather or unfriendly environments, hence I don't find the extended warranty (or ADP) necessary.

Hey Pawnies5600, thank you for the link. I think I should practice taking good care of my stuff instead of relying on the extended warranty.