Canon vs Nikon

youngblood

Oct 17, 2007
I am sure this has been asked before, but I can't find any threads through search.

Read some comparisons online but I wanted to hear from the bros of Clubsnap some real life experiences. I have been using Canon 400D and was looking for an upgrade - faster camera plus some common practical features that are available in current models.

What are the practical key pros and cons for both brands? Assuming that I'll stick to the same camera for 3-5years. I like to shoot pictures using natural light and low light. I like shooting landscape and macro for now.

If there is a thread I should read on Clubsnap please let me know coz I can't find it. Thanks bros!

I like shooting landscape and macro for now.
Please explain how this is touched by any camera brand. :dunno:
Comparing brands is just inviting brand wars. Doesn't yield anything useful.

whats your budget? (asking for your budget so that we can recommend u FF or CF bodies)

Nikon AF is known to be faster then Canon (if i am not mistaken) or at least offers more AF points.

personally i feel that nikon colors are more vibrant then canon (before post process).

Last edited:
I am sure this has been asked before, but I can't find any threads through search.

Read some comparisons online but I wanted to hear from the bros of Clubsnap some real life experiences. I have been using Canon 400D and was looking for an upgrade - faster camera plus some common practical features that are available in current models.

What are the practical key pros and cons for both brands? Assuming that I'll stick to the same camera for 3-5years. I like to shoot pictures using natural light and low light. I like shooting landscape and macro for now.

If there is a thread I should read on Clubsnap please let me know coz I can't find it. Thanks bros!
replace with a newer model Canon DSLR??? :dunno:

why put thread title as "canon vs nikon" ??? trying to stir up something....? BOTH are great brands for DSLRs.... not to mention the others like Sony, Olympus, Panasonic, Leica, etc.
In the end it's YOUR choice, isn't it?

after all camera is just a equipment. and is more about you :D go with the brand you more comfortable with ;) when you choosing a camera

Hurhur, consider the 1Dmk4 or the D3s. Either one should be suitable for you. Oh wait, what's your budget?

How hard can it be? We only have about 500 such threads. I do a search for "Canon vs Nikon" and get a boatload of information.

But, back to the point... Everything you mentioned, like "shoot pictures using natural light and low light. I like shooting landscape and macro for now" are ALL linked to the lens, not the camera body. What are the "practical features" you think a switch/upgrade would get you? List them out!

just change to a 550D or wait for the new 60D... then lens buy whatever suits you lor..

since macro and landscapes are your cup of tea then get lens that suit those needs lor..

Try typing canon nikon into search view you should see quite a lot threads on this. A topic that always end in heated fans arguing haha. Anyway both cameras can do what you are interested to shoot.

low light
lens is important but camera bodies plays a part also.

for this, i can only say ISO competency... so hence budget is important to know...but of cos both brands definitely have some models (FF and CF bodies) that can provide this.

faster camera plus some common practical features that are available in current models.

Assuming that I'll stick to the same camera for 3-5years. I like to shoot pictures using natural light and low light. I like shooting landscape and macro for now.

i think you can stick to canon since by now u should have a few canon lens if not at least the kit lens. by upgrading to a newer canon body, you can reuse your lens back. This saves your headache Canon or Nikon. Cos comparison never ends. So use back what you are familiar with (Am a canon user but sometime back, i tried using a friend's nikon cam, totally dunno how to use... )

next, you want a faster camera, i can recommend u either 7D or 5DMKII (if you have the budget) otherwise 550D is definitely faster then your 400D.

for natural/low light, if ISO to you is important, then go for 5DMKII if you have no budget or 550D then couple with a good prime lens like 50mm f1.8 or f1.4, it should be good to get you started. Landscape wise, 550D-7D-5DMKII is equally good and competent. You will need a UWA lens for landscape shoot (at least for most landscape photography). For 550D or 7D, u can get 10-22, for 5DMKII, you can get 17-40 or 16-35 L lens.

Can't advise you on macro since i am not into insects.

I think the above saves half your headache, just narrow in to what i said and do more research to fulfill your needs.

Last edited:
photoshop salesman told me nikon has a more natural colourful output. then i was sceptical and i kept on testing the canons and nikons...

today, i am a nikon slr owner. :)

good camera... easily can last 3-5 years...
EOS_1Ds_Mark_III_reflection.png

good wide angle lens for landscapes
ef16-35mm-f-2-8l-ii-usm.jpg

good lens for macro
ef180mm-f-3-5l-macro-usm.jpg

BBB :devil:

There are no pros and cons to each brand. Brand is just a brand.

There are pros and cons associated with specific camera models within the brands. So it is more practical to focus on and compare between the specific models irregardless of brands. And different people have different needs and preferences. So a man's meat may be poison to another. You need to look at your own needs and preferences and make a decision from there.

If you ask me what you should get? (in the spirit of bro ZCA):

Good camera
335018791059.jpg

Good wide angle for landscapes
AF-S_14-24_s.jpg

Good lens for macro:
000hbxe0

Last edited:

Pls quote your budget.

All friendly Csers here can recommend tons of cameras and lenses for you but will you buy them all?

Please explain how this is touched by any camera brand. :dunno:
Comparing brands is just inviting brand wars. Doesn't yield anything useful.

As I mentioned, I am a newbie and I definitely know less than you in photography. I listed the additional info down so the bros here will understand what kind of photographer I am (i won't even call myself one yet with bros like yourself talking down to me) when trying to answer my questions. I am sure we are all adults here and able to answer this with maturity without getting into any brand wars, and this is definitely not my intention. You mean you don't compare brands when purchasing any consumer goods??? I wish I could do that as it will save me tons of time!!!

As I mentioned, I am a newbie and I definitely know less than you in photography. I listed the additional info down so the bros here will understand what kind of photographer I am (i won't even call myself one yet with bros like yourself talking down to me) when trying to answer my questions. I am sure we are all adults here and able to answer this with maturity without getting into any brand wars, and this is definitely not my intention. You mean you don't compare brands when purchasing any consumer goods??? I wish I could do that as it will save me tons of time!!!

:bsmilie: :thumbsup:
but when I want to buy my first camera I only saw Canon advertisement so I bought it :bsmilie: not much considering :sweat:
another think for your consideration is that Canon can mount lot of manual lens, if that your cup of tea.

Last edited:
Anyway do you guys ever has a accident feeling to decided into which brand like canon or nikon ?

to be honest the 400d has a lot that a hobbyist can use. the only issue is handling, and the fact that some useful things are buried in the menus.

what do you mean by fast? faster af?

why are you switching brand? canon 50d, 7d are both good cameras as well.