Canon vs Nikon

Status
Not open for further replies.
surge said:
when ppl ask me now, i would recommend canon cos after all these years i realsie it takes a very very very 'rough' person to destroy a camera. the F80 and eos 5 ETC all are plastic stuff. yet i can tell you you have tro realy abuse it to spoil it and canon stuff are more affordable for the same thing you get from nikon.so its cheaper to build a canon system.

Not so any more.. Nikon's pricing is now neck to neck with Canon.. and is even cheaper then Canon in many aspects.. where a combination of durability and cost are concern.. I will cite one example.. the EN-EL3 Lithium Ion Batteries that Nikon users.. conpared to the BP-511 Ni-Cd's that Canon users.. Dollar for dollar the Nikon's batts last longer.. on the D70 - has been pushed to up to 2000 images.. or more conservatively 1200+ images.. the BP-511 cannot come close to this not even within an arms length reach..

Yes, it also goes to show that the Canon electronic design in their DSLR are not up to par. As far as I know the 2 batteries are the same in technology except maybe the contacts that prevents both form interchangable.

gadrian said:
Not so any more.. Nikon's pricing is now neck to neck with Canon.. and is even cheaper then Canon in many aspects.. where a combination of durability and cost are concern.. I will cite one example.. the EN-EL3 Lithium Ion Batteries that Nikon users.. conpared to the BP-511 Ni-Cd's that Canon users.. Dollar for dollar the Nikon's batts last longer.. on the D70 - has been pushed to up to 2000 images.. or more conservatively 1200+ images.. the BP-511 cannot come close to this not even within an arms length reach..

There's been lots of measur(bat)ing of start-up times, battery life, AF motors, this and that between the two brands.

I hope we can all put all this back into perspective when we consider that technology will always move forward be it right now or next month or next year. What may be slow or non-existent now may not be the case in the next model cycle. The R&D departments don't exactly sit around with their thumbs up their asses.

What we can't easily upgrade, however, is our photography skills. You can't saunter into CP, AP or MS Color and ask to load up a Portrait shooting module into your photography skill database, like you can ask to buy a Canon L lens.

The topic implies that C vs N, there'll be an outcome, but there isn't. Each brand offers something different to the consumer, and the consumer should be clear about his needs before making his choice - otherwise he'll be jumping ship pretty soon.

r32 said:
There's been lots of measur(bat)ing of start-up times, battery life, AF motors, this and that between the two brands.

I hope we can all put all this back into perspective when we consider that technology will always move forward be it right now or next month or next year. What may be slow or non-existent now may not be the case in the next model cycle. The R&D departments don't exactly sit around with their thumbs up their asses.

What we can't easily upgrade, however, is our photography skills. You can't saunter into CP, AP or MS Color and ask to load up a Portrait shooting module into your photography skill database, like you can ask to buy a Canon L lens.

The topic implies that C vs N, there'll be an outcome, but there isn't. Each brand offers something different to the consumer, and the consumer should be clear about his needs before making his choice - otherwise he'll be jumping ship pretty soon.
Well this guy is good....
get him a beer,,....

r32 said:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Morale of this story:
Shoot more talk less!!!

ransoma22 said:

Morale of this story:
Shoot more talk less!!!

ransoma22 said:

Morale of this story:
Shoot more talk less!!!

yah...who gives a damn about equipments talk...its the pictures that count!

rncw said:
yah...who gives a damn about equipments talk...its the pictures that count!

Yah...you want to see some pictures I took with a $30 Russian FED-5 camera? :D

Still comparing C&N? Ended already? Can ask a final answer? what is the shuttle release lag time for this 2 brand? Lets take 10D and D100 for example. Thanks

sam_always said:
Still comparing C&N? Ended already? Can ask a final answer? what is the shuttle release lag time for this 2 brand? Lets take 10D and D100 for example. Thanks

10D - 80 ms
D100 - 60ms

Reply to Bob -

My Coolpix somehow inspires me to have more fun in my weekend shoots. :cool: Hence Nikon for me.
Nikon bodies for DSLR cuz I've already a group of friendly F-mount lens owners nearby. :D

gadrian said:
10D - 80 ms
D100 - 60ms

Let me have some fun adding oil to fire... :angel:

"Oh oh!!! Darn!!! I missed the 'moment' because the 10D is darn bloody slow! Could have gotten him diggin' his nose if only I had the D100!!"

:sweat:

Technical difference, yes. But any pratical difference? NO!

"And I officially declare Nikon the winner!" :blah: And I'm a Canon user. Happy?

Ah Pao said:
Let me have some fun adding oil to fire... :angel:

"Oh oh!!! Darn!!! I missed the 'moment' because the 10D is darn bloody slow! Could have gotten him diggin' his nose if only I had the D100!!"

:sweat:

Technical difference, yes. But any pratical difference? NO!

"And I officially declare Nikon the winner!" :blah: And I'm a Canon user. Happy?

missing moments and blame it on the camera...how convenient. :sweatsm:

A good photographer will learn to anticipate the moment and work around any handicaps of his/her gears.

oeyvind said:
missing moments and blame it on the camera...how convenient. :sweatsm:

A good photographer will learn to anticipate the moment and work around any handicaps of his/her gears.

yah...i wish i can also blame it on my D100 when i missed so many shots while in tokyo...i even missed shooting vivien hsu while i was in harajuku...errr..."camera too slow????" :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

gadrian said:
10D - 80 ms
D100 - 60ms

20ms sounds like a whole lot of time (heck, the D100 is 25% faster than the 10D!) until we once again place things into perspective:

1 second = 1,000 milliseconds

20 milliseconds = 1/50th of a second

Big numbers, small units.

有人说道:
不管 "F" 猫 (mount) 或者是 "EF" 猫 (mount),能拍照的, 就是好猫 (mount)。

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.