Canon vs nikon

Status
Not open for further replies.

VainKid

Aug 1, 2009
Bedok
I've bought my nikon d90 2 weeks ago, yesterday took it out for shooting Christmas gathering party and the most demoralize thingy is so many of my friends criticise nikon cam and keep telling me about canon... I was like so irritating and there is nothing i could do. Is nikon really that bad?

D90 is quite a good DSLR. and Nikon is quite well-known in the camera industry. Don't listen to all their nonsense. Tell them to get a Life too.

I've bought my nikon d90 2 weeks ago, yesterday took it out for shooting Christmas gathering party and the most demoralize thingy is so many of my friends criticise nikon cam and keep telling me about canon... I was like so irritating and there is nothing i could do. Is nikon really that bad?

U're going to start another round of brand wars here in which it's not very entertaining. All brands have their pros and cons so pick the one that suits u.

Period.

there are three things you can do.

#1, sell your Nikon camera and join your friends.

#2, use your Nikon camera to take nicer photos and prove them wrong.

#3, just ignore them and enjoy your new camera.

pick one and make yourself happy.

read Scott Kelby.. He owns a Nikon! although I myself own a Canon.. ;p

Both have its pros and cons... juz remember one thing... at the end of the day, the product which is the picture depends greatly on the photographer him/herself.. the camera and lenses are just a supplementary to him/her...

You can consider what catchlights mentioned.. but more importantly make sure u're happy taking why you want to take.. if not, question is why invest/spend so much on your equipments?

Hi I'm not trying to pick up fight or create war, just confused if I'd make the right choice.

there are three things you can do.

#1, sell your Nikon camera and join your friends.

#2, use your Nikon camera to take nicer photos and prove them wrong.

#3, just ignore them and enjoy your new camera.

pick one and make yourself happy.

i second #2 and 3. why? it's YOU who's owning and using the camera...so why bother about what they've said.:dunno: Doesn't matter whether it's N or C. It's gonna be YOU who's gonna use it. So it's all about YOU:cool:

cheers
papajanggo33

don't think so much uh...
its you that matters most..

even I use a canon and wish i have a nikon or a pentax at times..

everyone has their own fetish of wats at the other side of the fence....

Hi I'm not trying to pick up fight or create war, just confused if I'd make the right choice.

I tot usually it is the camera that is confused by the photographer.

Tell me, in life, is there any absolute right/wrong choices?

we all live in grey areas, just like cameras. your friends are just picking on the fact that Nikon is in a grey area, and not a absolute white area, and just trying to emphasize on the parts that are black, ignoring the white parts, when they themselves are oblivious to Canon's own cons.

Ignore your friends. DON'T FEED THE TROLLS ;)

PS, d90 is a great cam, so you're more right than wrong. Heck, taking photography is already a good choice on its own :thumbsup:

Cameras are tools to Photographers, like Brushes to Painters.

Neither having Picasso's brush doesn't make you Picasso; nor having Ansel Adams camera will make you Ansel Adams.

Frankly, I find myself recommending and liking not only the brand I use, a photographer and his tool are a matched pair - you get acquainted to a tool by holding and trying it out. If it feels good and works in your style - it is a good tool. Digital cameras are all great machines - if you look back just a few years ago they all have improved tremendously - we are in Digital Photography paradise.

However, many people would treat these tools as objects of vanity - especially if it costs a considerable amount and people take pride in the ownership of one. Some do get satisfaction by saying that others aren't good etc etc - but they should know the phrase: "Snubbing out other peoples' flames doesn't make theirs burn more brightly." But that's exactly what I think your friends are doing to you regrettably. :sweat:

Your D90 is a fully capable and well rounded photographic tool. I'd advocate that you choose bro Catchlight's suggestion #2... they'd shut themselves up automatically. :)

If you have skill and the goods, you will be respected for your skill and vision in photography, not being part of a clique who uses the same equipment.

Don't worry, be happy, shoot more! :lovegrin:

I tot usually it is the camera that is confused by the photographer.

well, i think TS is the confused one:bsmilie:

hey,cheer up la...ask yrself :

do you like the camera?

did anyone force you to buy that model?

how much 'love' you have on her now? (the cam i mean)..u adore her? u 'just' like her or you are considering to 'divorce' her?

again, fret not..YOU decide what you like:angel:

read Scott Kelby.. He owns a Nikon! although I myself own a Canon.. ;p

I think the whole point of the issue is that it doesn't matter who owns what. :)

I have the same experience with you : "Which is which"....Nikkon or Canon.
I went to funan...i try both cameras...

I ended up buying Nikkon;p I happy of it..its up to you now....:dunno: Goodluck!

People should have more confidence in the choices that they have made.
Otherwise you will go through life questioning every decision that you make.

:)

When I first started out in photography, I have a fren who is pro, and so I asked him whether he used N of C... and his answer is... it does not matter if it is N or C, it is how you take the photo and how you process the photo after that... and I have come to find that his advice is true.

I personally use N, and have frens who use C... but we shoot together and try to push each other to have better pics at the end of the day, not who has what gear. The only time we talk gear is when a limitation is met and need to see how to work around the gear limitation, or if there is some gear to overcome limitations.

So... be happy with what you have :D

I'll show you 2 photos, one taken with a Nikon D3 and the other with a Canon 5D. See if you can differentiate them apart. If you can't tell them apart, then there isn't much point for starting this thread unless you are so concern about what other people say, which itself is most unnecessary.

3323010966_9fcb6c3295_b.jpg

3716283623_1c59ba6d06_b.jpg

Show your friend what a Nikon can do to beat their Canon. Make them be the one who think "is Canon really that bad". You made your choice on Nikon, be firm on it! Ignore their bullshit criticism.

BTW what EOS model your frenx using? I will only agree 7D and above is better than D90. Below 7D, pls ask ur frenz stand aside. Your D90 is their daddy.

Since you already own it, just use and maximise it's potential..IMO every camera is a great camera.just browse through the pictorials section and you can see all the gd pics posted by various brand owners.
Get familiar and comfortable with your cam and you will start taking pics as good as others,if not better..
Enjoy your cam and take all criticisms with a pinch of salt and pepper. It's human nature..let your pics speaks itself..:)

Status
Not open for further replies.