canon vs nikon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Camm

Sep 4, 2002
Visit site
Hi all,

I noticed that the canon cameras get phased out once new model of that series is out, which is to say that not many places will be selling the older model at lower price. However, noticed that nikon is still selling their older model at IT show with much much lower price. Is my theory correct? If that's the case, i would think nikon would be a better buy... :dunno:

canon product cycle is shorter

the quality of the product is a different issue

buy according to what u need and ur budget :cool:

Camm said:
Hi all,

I noticed that the canon cameras get phased out once new model of that series is out, which is to say that not many places will be selling the older model at lower price. However, noticed that nikon is still selling their older model at IT show with much much lower price. Is my theory correct? If that's the case, i would think nikon would be a better buy... :dunno:

Why is this a consideration at all for getting a camera that suits your use?

Camm said:
Hi all,

lets say u wanna buy d70, u'll wanna wait until the D70 replacement is out, then you buy the d70 at a lower price, is that what u mean?

Hey I bought my nikon 3100 when it came out during it fair of 2003. two months down the road phased out already. 3200 model with underwater case some more. talk abt nikon kicking u in the a.. .....

Camm said:
Hi all,

Are you buying a camera based on it's resale value, or for it's features/functions which suit your style of photography?

Each and every camera has its own plus and minus points.

mr_jason said:
Are you buying a camera based on it's resale value, or for it's features/functions which suit your style of photography?

Each and every camera has its own plus and minus points.

buy what you can afford and be content with ! there's no end to techonological progress

I Canon supporter. :bsmilie:

It is a matter of getting use to it. Both Canon and Nikon produce good camera and photo product. Competition always benefit the consumer. Can you imagine a world with only Nikon or Canon only... At the end of the day it is the $$$$$$$ that count. Rolleiflex 6008 costs a bomb US$16000... it can buy you many of those cameras you had just mentioned!

Be happy don't worry!

Yappy

Camm said:
Hi all,

you have any particular model to suport yoru statement or is it just what you feel? So why would nikon be a better buy in this case?

Why don't you find 2nd hand deals? Once new models come out...their prices would drop(take the 10D and 300D their 2nd hand prices sure dropped when then new 20D 350D came out)...what user111 said is pretty true...that the canon product model is much shorter than Nikon's...but that has nothing to do with which is better in terms of quality and usability... so what you have to do is just find which system suits you better...cheers.

Camm said:
Hi all,

Actually if you think about it, the explanation for this is pretty simple. Canon's stocks move so fast off the shelf that the older model is 'naturally discontinued', and the leftover stock is of no consequence to Canon whether it moves or not, so they don't bother try selling it off discounted.

Nikon probably still have enough stock of the older models that they choose to lower the price and try to get them out the door.

i seriously doubt either one will continue manufacturing a older model once a replacement arrives, esp if the replacement is better and cheaper. So while Nikon may continue selling older models, it's probably excess old stock.

ST1100 said:
Actually if you think about it, the explanation for this is pretty simple. Canon's stocks move so fast off the shelf that the older model is 'naturally discontinued', and the leftover stock is of no consequence to Canon whether it moves or not, so they don't bother try selling it off discounted.

Nikon probably still have enough stock of the older models that they choose to lower the price and try to get them out the door.

i seriously doubt either one will continue manufacturing a older model once a replacement arrives, esp if the replacement is better and cheaper. So while Nikon may continue selling older models, it's probably excess old stock.
More likely that Canon knowing itself that they have short product life cycle that they limit the number of units that they manufacture, while the converse for Nikon. This would also explain the reason why the changes between the revisions of the products are more incremental for Canon and Nikon as Canon would reuse components across generations in order to reduce cost.

Camm said:
Hi all,

maybe, it's just inventory management problem at Nikon? they overproduced the older models and hence have to lower the prices to sell them when the new models are ready for release. I'm sure Nikon would like to be able to sell off their inventory of older models before or abt the same time that the newer models are released. It makes more business sense.

Fully electronics mount, no mechanical linkage.
UltraSonic Motor feature on consumer lens vs noisy and slow focus motor.
Need to pay lot for VR lens.
Technologically way ahead since the 80's.
New buyer got more features since R&D is fast and produce better models.
That is maybe why they own 70% market share.

It's fine even these features are not available because chemistry also comes into play.

coming from the manufacturing industry, these companies normally have already built the 20Ds and 350Ds 2 years ago. Becasue they want to recoupe the R/D costs of previous models (300D, 10D), the launch of the cheaper 20D and 350D is put on hold. Anyway, the 20D and 350D are built on the template of their previous versions so the developlement costs are less than the 300D/10D. That's why new models costs less. he only time a new model is more expensive is when there is a quantium leap in the design.
Also, they know that the competitor is always a step behind.

Notice this type of trend is not appicalble to the profreesional range. Becasue they cannot make the pros fed-up . The company needs to keep lotsa pro using their stuff so that the companies can look to have 'better' products.

If anyone thinks a EOS 300, or 300D are 'limiting' your picture taking ability becasue it does not have this or that function, think of it this way....
your EOS 300 has a faster AF program (not to mention 7 FP linked to metering) and a much more advanced flash metering system than the EOS 1.

Also, a DOF button is only found in top professional cameras in the 80's. Does that mean the photogs then are limited by their equipment?

How's that for comparision, a little self delusion but hey, whatever works , right?

DT:D

95c.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.