Canon vs Nikon (in term of price and photo style)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wallacetham

May 13, 2009
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
Hi,

Getting more confuse after i did more on my research in between Canon and Nikon..

1. Thinking to get Nikon latest model D3000, although body should be quite cheap, but Nikkor lens generally more expensive than Canon's one. (comparing Canon's 50mm f1.8 with Nikkor 35mm f1.8) Overall Nikkor lens will be more expensive than Canon's.

2. Canon produces warmer pictures, as compared to Nikon, more natural color tone.

3. Canon having buy back program now, even Canon 500D kit is cheaper than Nikon D5000. For long term, Canon's lens also cheaper and more variety.

Hard to decide man.....need help! :)

I am Canon BIG FAN, but been reading KenRockWell's reviews this few days....kind of influenced by him, started to fall in love with Nikon...haha...

Thanks for your advise....to guide me out at this JUNCTION...haha

1. Overall Nikkor lens will be more expensive than Canon's.

2. Canon produces warmer pictures, as compared to Nikon, more natural color tone.

3. Canon having buy back program now, even Canon 500D kit is cheaper than Nikon D5000. For long term, Canon's lens also cheaper and more variety.

1. Meh. Look at the price of L glass. And for Nikkor lenses, you get what you pay for - they may cost more, but they're better.

2. I disagree. I find Canon pictures to have less saturation and a cooler color tone, as compared to the richer Nikon/Sony/Olympus/Pentax pics.

3. Buy back can be because they're getting clobbered in the market by the Nikon offerings now.

[3. Canon having buy back program now, even Canon 500D kit is cheaper than Nikon D5000. For long term, Canon's lens also cheaper and more variety.

Not really, for Nikon you can use the older MF lenses too. Think they're the AIS or something to that effect.

since your heart is on Canon, just stay focus, get a Canon, will help you to end your misery.

This man speaks the truth. Can't say that Canon is the best out there, but you can't go wrong with it either.

since your heart is on Canon, just stay focus, get a Canon, will help you to end your misery.

yeah, i know, but we should compare both also....since this is a big step + big investment for me.

I m using Canon prosumer now (PowerShot A720IS), quite good, just limited by the technology...

Getting a Nikon might have more fun to play around (different user interface and stuffs....Canon 500D will have similar interface like my Canon PS A720)

Just my thinking...correct me if i am wrong...haha;)

Getting a Nikon might have more fun to play around (different user interface and stuffs....Canon 500D will have similar interface like my Canon PS A720)

Have you tried the 500D yet?

Go out and try both system in a shop. See which camera has a better handling for you.

For me, I use a canon as I am very to it, and find the Nikon system awkward. But I tend to believe that this is a matter of getting used to.

Apart from that, I think all DSLR systems should have a comprehensive range of lenses. They are all capable of getting good pictures. It is up to the photographer to actually capture the deciding moment. (I hadn't captured mine yet.)

Have you tried the 500D yet?

yeah, i tried before, quite similar to 400D (my friend has it)

What i mean similar is the function layout, settings, where Nikon totally different..

Btw, i feel like 500D body abit plastic feeling, worse than 400D...although function is much more powerful!!

You talked about prices. You talked about function. Have you ever asked yourself what you actually need? You said Nikon lenses are more expensive and Canon have more variety. Are you buying out the entire system or what? Have you even looked into the lenses you are most likely to buy? Nikon's interface is quite different. Have you wondered if you can get used to it?

Judging from what you wrote, Canon seems a more sensible choice. Your friend is using Canon so you can borrow his lenses. As for Nikon, I think you are just backside itchy.....

if you're getting a nikon, do get the D80 and upwards. Most of the top end nikon lens are more expensive than their canon counterparts, but if you look at the AF-D lens, they are much more reasonably priced and pretty fast focusing too from my recently ended nikon using experience.

1. Not sure why you compare Canon 50/1.8 with Nikon 35/1.8. There's a Nikon 50/1.8 which is cheap.

2. Canon PNS are great, because of the pleasing colors they produce. Similarly, the in-cam processor of their DSLRs are (IMHO) ahead of Nikon's. But things are changing for sure.

Personally, I choose Nikon DSLR because of the excellent ergonomics. Canon PNS for their no-need-PP colors.

Hi,

Getting more confuse after i did more on my research in between Canon and Nikon..

1. Thinking to get Nikon latest model D3000, although body should be quite cheap, but Nikkor lens generally more expensive than Canon's one. (comparing Canon's 50mm f1.8 with Nikkor 35mm f1.8) Overall Nikkor lens will be more expensive than Canon's.

I am Canon BIG FAN, but been reading KenRockWell's reviews this few days....kind of influenced by him, started to fall in love with Nikon...haha...

Canon/Nikon/Sony/Olympus all make good cameras. There is no bad cameras now. Only lots of marketing gimmicks. Why do you want to spend time trying to figure out how to use a Nikon when you are familiar with Canon system? If you think Canon colour suits you better,pricing is more affordable for you,holds better in your hand. Get it.

Hi,

Don't make sweeping statements :nono:
#1: You compare canon 50/1.8 against nikon 35/1.8..... fair comparison hor?? NOT
#2: You based that conclusion on what evidence? I can make my Nikon's colour output very warm too... especially when tweaking the in-camera JPG processing.
#3: I do know that both Canon and Nikon make a large variety of lenses. Which maker has a larger variety is unknown to me. But so what if Canon produces 820 different lenses, and Nikon produces 750? The lenses that I own are available across both brands (just comparing focal length and max aperture). Your comment about cheaper seems weak to me, especially since you can use examples like in #1.

haha this thread has turned into a brand war already. anyway..

SONY ALPHA IS THE BEST. cough cough..

if you're getting a nikon, do get the D80 and upwards. Most of the top end nikon lens are more expensive than their canon counterparts, but if you look at the AF-D lens, they are much more reasonably priced and pretty fast focusing too from my recently ended nikon using experience.

Why did you end your Nikon-using experience?

You talked about prices. You talked about function. Have you ever asked yourself what you actually need? You said Nikon lenses are more expensive and Canon have more variety. Are you buying out the entire system or what? Have you even looked into the lenses you are most likely to buy? Nikon's interface is quite different. Have you wondered if you can get used to it?

Judging from what you wrote, Canon seems a more sensible choice. Your friend is using Canon so you can borrow his lenses. As for Nikon, I think you are just backside itchy.....

Good. You said it.
Human beings are creatures of habit.
Once we are used to something, unless something unpleasant jerked us out of our comfort zone, or something so irresistable present a pull factor, we don't usually jump ship.
So it all depends very much on what system you laid your hands upon when you first started.
Of course, along the way many would switch sides for various reasons and that is where the push and pull factors start playing tricks on us.
All will have their own reasons. And debate till the cows come home, most likely we cannot come to a conclusion.
Therefore if you have closed ones, friends, family members all using Canon, and you yourself are familiar with Canon, then maybe you will be more comfortable staying put. Don't listen too much or read too much review, otherwise you would be totally confused.

My humble opinion.

hmmm..i heard Canon focusing speed is much faster than nikon but dont know whether if this is true...like in advertisement, they always said those White lens used in sports are Canon's..what do you all think?

hmmm..i heard Canon focusing speed is much faster than nikon but dont know whether if this is true...like in advertisement, they always said those White lens used in sports are Canon's..what do you all think?

Not trying to be a spoilsport here, but did you see the number of BLACK lenses in the last China Olympics? :bsmilie:

Each have their pros and cons. Just choose wisely. I personally went with Nikon for the ergonomics and flash system. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
they always said those White lens used in sports are Canon's..what do you all think?

1. It's called sponsorship.

2. Do you think you can afford/need one of those lenses?

Status
Not open for further replies.