Canon vs Nikon after sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robbie J

Aug 22, 2006
Northern Singapore
I just wonder what Canon and Nikon users think of the standard the after-sales service of their respective brands. I have been a faithful Nikon user for many years - bought (and sold) a great deal of their gear. Sometimes though, I feel that maybe the Canon guys (and gals) enjoy a better standard of after-sales service than we Nikon users do. What's your opinion?I'd like to hear the pros and cons from both camps (btw, I don't think one brand is necessarily better than the other).

Service level varies. There are lots of praises for both camps' services as well as complaints too. Its hard to judge. Some can send in an item and needs several trips to get problem fixed, some can get things fixed in an hour or so.

But i like Canon's service centre, nice comfortable sofa and can get a nice cup of mocha, cappuccino, chocolate etc while waiting. Even have a room with PC to download pictures from card to show problem to the technicians.

I am a Nikon user, but i definitely think that Canon has better after sales services. And i felt that they are pro in organizing activities or events for users (regardless of brands).

Geezz why am i a nikon user..... :think:

I am a Nikon user, but i definitely think that Canon has better after sales services. And i felt that they are pro in organizing activities or events for users (regardless of brands).

Geezz why am i a nikon user..... :think:

Yah their events are well organised, but i thought Nikon has more activities than Canon :dunno:
But seems their budget has shrunk for this year's Shutterbug ;p

both good la.

lets be diplomatic...

if either companies see this.. later they try outdo each other again.. :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

both good la.

lets be diplomatic...

if either companies see this.. later they try outdo each other again.. :bsmilie: :bsmilie:
outdo each other is good. Customers get the benefit :D

I've been to 3 service centres Canon, Nikon and Fuji. Since Fuji isn't included, I shan't say too much about it then (though I like it a lot).

Canon's feel more comfy and homely. The front desk person is also very well trained and diplomatic. Willing to listen kind.

Nikon, depends largely on which person takes your case. At the end of the day, as long as your camera gets repaired is all that matters right? :D

Yah their events are well organised, but i thought Nikon has more activities than Canon
But seems their budget has shrunk for this year's Shutterbug

What Activities?!?!?! "Nikon Big Walk"? :dunno: or the one Nikon / CS outing? :dunno:
Personally i attended a few of Canon events and course, and none of Nikon :think:

Hehe And i oso think Canon ppl are more frenly :p and ready with a smile :D unlike Nikon, always face black black one.... or maybe i always go at the wrong timing?

outdo each other is good. Customers get the benefit :D

I've been to 3 service centres Canon, Nikon and Fuji. Since Fuji isn't included, I shan't say too much about it then (though I like it a lot).

Canon's feel more comfy and homely. The front desk person is also very well trained and diplomatic. Willing to listen kind.

Nikon, depends largely on which person takes your case. At the end of the day, as long as your camera gets repaired is all that matters right? :D

anyone gives me free servicing will get the "Best Service Centre Award" lor.. :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Ya.. Nikon Svc Center depends one. Sometimes quite stuck up. Esp when you
do not have any aXes with you.

Haha ya I agreed Nikon service ppl most of the time dun look too happy.. Maybe they had a bad day lah.. Anyway face black black fits Nikon mah, thats y they are called the Dark Side..:bsmilie:

What Activities?!?!?! "Nikon Big Walk"? or the one Nikon / CS outing?
Personally i attended a few of Canon events and course, and none of Nikon :think:

Hehe And i oso think Canon ppl are more frenly :p and ready with a smile :D unlike Nikon, always face black black one.... or maybe i always go at the wrong timing?

Sigh, the force is strong. So bad service I still getting D80. :sticktong

Canon service is quite good. So far no problems for me. Willing to listen and the engineers will personally come to explain if the front line staff is stuck with a technical question. They don't try to smoke you out, which is good. Having said that, there are also times which they miss out fixing a problem. It pays to get them to write down all the problems when talking to the staff.

Have not tried Nikon service, so no comment.

Sigma service varies. There is only one engineer... so sometimes can take a while.
:)

Canon service is quite good. So far no problems for me. Willing to listen and the engineers will personally come to explain if the front line staff is stuck with a technical question. They don't try to smoke you out, which is good. Having said that, there are also times which they miss out fixing a problem. It pays to get them to write down all the problems when talking to the staff.

Have not tried Nikon service, so no comment.

Sigma service varies. There is only one engineer... so sometimes can take a while.
:)

This is (part of) what I mean. It's nice to be able to actually talk to the service engineers who do the repair/adjustment. The counter staff at Nikon always seem so distant; it's as if your gear does'nt matter much.. We photogs are all VERY PASSIONATE about the stuff we use, be it Nikon or Canon or whatever. They're both great camera systems and it would be nice if the agents took a genuine interest in the concerns of their loyal customers, especially after having spent so many thousands of dollars all these years.

Yeh I think they should have service centres like HP and if there is a need you can call and talk to the engineer himself.

i am a nikon user and own a p&s canon camera. i too find the canon service centre are more friendly than the other:embrass:

Yeh I think they should have service centres like HP and if there is a need you can call and talk to the engineer himself.
HP? *ahem*ahem*choke* I think Nikon is leaps and bounds better then.. just my personal opinion..

Hehe And i oso think Canon ppl are more frenly and ready with a smile :D unlike Nikon, always face black black one.... or maybe i always go at the wrong timing?

Haha ya I agreed Nikon service ppl most of the time dun look too happy.. Maybe they had a bad day lah.. Anyway face black black fits Nikon mah, thats y they are called the Dark Side..:bsmilie:

Ha! You probably wouldn't be happy and would have a really black face too if you had to sit under that large and LOUD LCD/Plasma screen everyday, listening to the adverts repeat the same thing day after day after day after... GHHHAAAAA!!! :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :devil:

I have been a Canon supporter for years. 3 SLRs with macro to prime to telezoom lenses, 3 bubble jet printers, 2 film PnS, 2 different models of digital ixus and even Canon calculator when I was in Sec 1. When GF and sister and colleagues wanted to buy camera, I recomended Canon.

Last year, my ixus v3 broke down, sent it to Canon Funan. Told them camera was seldom used, mostly kept in dry box, even battery only charged 3-4 times in the 1 year+ I had it.
They said sent to workshop, but no reply. I called them 3 weeks later, was told optical unit spolit, quoted me $250. I agreed, and collected the camera 1 week later.

Brought it on a trip to Huangshan, 100+ shots only, put it back in the dry box. 3-4 months later, took it out from dry box, damn spoilt again! Took it back to Harbourfront this time, asked whether can trade in for i zoom since the piece of **** breaks down all the time. They quoted me $440. KNN, AP SLS selling for less than that! Showed black face and turned them down, service girl then went in to ask manager, came out, said can do a 1-1 swap for me, no charge

Under impression that Canon service 1st class until I read over the net that it was their CCD fault and that Canon is giving free exchange to all. Tried to squeeze $440 out of me!
Another issue is that they are giving refunds for earlier misdiagnosed repairs. The service centre people never mentioned anything to me! Went down again with service receipt, made some noise, had to filled in a form, got a $250 cheque 1 week later.

Imagine if I had not been vigilant, I would have lost $690 for nothing!:angry:

After that, when I was in the market for cameras, bought a Nikon D50, then a Oly E-500, and recently a Panasonic FX-01 compact. Previously,I would have gone straight for Canon without a 2nd thought.:sticktong

Status
Not open for further replies.