Canon USA announces new pricing for EOS-D60

Status
Not open for further replies.

zapp!

Jan 17, 2002
zapp.clubsnap.org
This is sure a pleasing piece of news. Canon USA has announced a new price for the EOS-D60 at US$2199 (In the US and Canada, includes battery, charger and DC coupler). Read more about it here.

However, Canon USA has not posted any press release regarding the price change at this time of posting.

Now i really wonder how much would the price of 2nd D30s drop to...ahhh the price to pay for early adopters of DSLRs...

What say you D30 owners...
I think i had my money's worth as my D30 has clocked about 6000+ shots in about one year and 3 mths.

Originally posted by zapp!
Now i really wonder how much would the price of 2nd D30s drop to...ahhh the price to pay for early adopters of DSLRs...

I think i had my money's worth as my D30 has clocked about 6000+ shots in about one year and 3 mths.
Hmmm...........
D30 or D60..............

Originally posted by Bluestrike

Hmmm...........
D30 or D60..............

Still need to consider meh?

Look, both have equally lousy AF in low light.
Both hv the irritating 1.6x, thus needing an equally irritating 20mm f1.8 :p or 14mm or 15-30mm.
Both hv irritating E-TTL features which just ain't as good as the film counterpart.
Water is an irritant to both (no weather proof design).

ah...come on....
still need to consider which one to get? :D

Yah, d100. *ducks*

Originally posted by Shadus

Both hv irritating E-TTL features which just ain't as good as the film counterpart.

Eh, I thought E-TTL is all the same throughout Canon SLRs?

Still need to consider meh?

Look, both have equally lousy AF in low light.
Both hv the irritating 1.6x, thus needing an equally irritating 20mm f1.8 :p or 14mm or 15-30mm.
Water is an irritant to both (no weather proof design).

ah...come on....
still need to consider which one to get? :D
Yeah hor...
then get the Sigma lor!

Originally posted by YSLee

Eh, I thought E-TTL is all the same throughout Canon SLRs?

ya...but somehow, the exposure is more accurate on film cameras. Maybe we can ask zapp! if he gets all flash pics correctly exposed.

Suspect they use a different method to get the right exposure.

Wait till the official price announcement of Nikon D100...then the price of D60 will drop again...

Originally posted by zapp!

i just crossed my 28,000th shot last Sunday - since buying the camera in late July last year (so it's not even 1 year old yet)........and made a few hundred bucks along the way.......

while the body may be a little behind in terms of features, but image quality is clearly superior to film. Honestly, i would be quite fearful of making that claim 5 months ago, but now i know, after seeing and comparing the different mediums. Film still has a place, and has its advantages, but in terms of quality, digital with the D30 has the edge.

(ps: not too sure about other digital SLRs - i'm only making the claim for Canon's D30)

so, as a D30 owner, i would say not only is the money worth it, but the D30 still has a lot of potential to go a much longer way.... so going by logic of the mind, an upgrade is not necessary.

of course going by feel the upgrade urge is still there, nonetheless ;p

ya...but somehow, the exposure is more accurate on film cameras. Maybe we can ask zapp! if he gets all flash pics correctly exposed.

Suspect they use a different method to get the right exposure.

admittedly the Nikon flash system is superior in design than the Canon one for single flash usage. (i say that because i have never seen Nikon flashes working in tandem before, so i can't speak for that)

With Nikon's flash metering, you can point and shoot and get consistent exposures. With Canon's ETTL, to get consistent exposures, esp with the D30, you have to get into the habit of preflashing at your subjects, as the flash metering is weighted towards the active focusing point(s).

What this means is if u focus on the subject and recompose, the active focusing point will fall on the background, and the flash system will meter for the background. (overexposure most of the time.)

the solution for that is to use auto focusing points, move the focus point over the subject, or preflash at the subject and recompose.

Most pple (both Nikon and Canon users) may have gotten wrong flash exposures, but because of the high latitude of film, they may never realise their mistakes until they use a digital SLR :)

Originally posted by Red Dawn

i just crossed my 28,000th shot last Sunday - since buying the camera in late July last year (so it's not even 1 year old yet)........and made a few hundred bucks along the way.......

while the body may be a little behind in terms of features, but image quality is clearly superior to film. Honestly, i would be quite fearful of making that claim 5 months ago, but now i know, after seeing and comparing the different mediums. Film still has a place, and has its advantages, but in terms of quality, digital with the D30 has the edge.

(ps: not too sure about other digital SLRs - i'm only making the claim for Canon's D30)

so, as a D30 owner, i would say not only is the money worth it, but the D30 still has a lot of potential to go a much longer way.... so going by logic of the mind, an upgrade is not necessary.

of course going by feel the upgrade urge is still there, nonetheless ;p

The D60 got one very cool feature - the little squares of the AF points light up in red. :D Those who shoot a lot of available darkness will appreciate this a lot.

Regards
CK

Most pple (both Nikon and Canon users) may have gotten wrong flash exposures, but because of the high latitude of film, they may never realise their mistakes until they use a digital SLR :)

Slides aren't high lattitude.

yup, but most film uses use flash with negs most of the time, no? ;)

That's with the P+S crowd. :p

yup, but most film uses use flash with negs most of the time, no? ;)

Not if you're HCB. ;) But you're right. Most people will not see their exposure problems, unless they are using slides. Or a digital SLR, both of which has low exposure latitude.

admittedly the Nikon flash system is superior in design than the Canon one for single flash usage. (i say that because i have never seen Nikon flashes working in tandem before, so i can't speak for that)

Nikon system can support > 1 flash, wired or wirelessly. No problems, but I can't afford more than 1 SB-series flash, cables nor the SU-4 wireless slave unit to tryout.

With Nikon's flash metering, you can point and shoot and get consistent exposures. With Canon's ETTL, to get consistent exposures, esp with the D30, you have to get into the habit of preflashing at your subjects, as the flash metering is weighted towards the active focusing point(s).

What this means is if u focus on the subject and recompose, the active focusing point will fall on the background, and the flash system will meter for the background. (overexposure most of the time.)

the solution for that is to use auto focusing points, move the focus point over the subject, or preflash at the subject and recompose.

Actually, Nikon and Canon have very good flash exposure systems, but this methology is a bit weird. Can lose shots because of this preflash.

Nikon 3D Matrix flash metering also takes into account subject distance, so it's not dependent on focussing point. Plus point. :) I have not gotten any flash exposures with the Nikon system before. For Canon, so long as you remember to pre-flash or shift AF points, should be okay. For Minolta, dunno. ;p

Regards
CK

Err...I think it is not a good idea to buy 2nd hand digital camera now...as most of them would have gone through thousands clicks...:eek:

Originally posted by Kho King
Err...I think it is not a good idea to buy 2nd hand digital camera now...as most of them would have gone through thousands clicks...:eek:

haha :cool: u're right about the thousands clicks thingy.....
but my D30 body still looks very new..... and i did a CMOS dust check last week - at f22, no visible dust spots....i'm happy ;p

Originally posted by ckiang

Actually, Nikon and Canon have very good flash exposure systems, but this methology is a bit weird. Can lose shots because of this preflash.

Nikon 3D Matrix flash metering also takes into account subject distance, so it's not dependent on focussing point. Plus point. :) I have not gotten any flash exposures with the Nikon system before. For Canon, so long as you remember to pre-flash or shift AF points, should be okay. For Minolta, dunno. ;p

ETTL, and the whole concept of Canon's Evaluative metering, is based around the AF points.

i suppose it works better with the EOS 1v / 1D / 3 with the many focusing points :)

Status
Not open for further replies.