Canon to Pentax.? Infos.

WanFancy

May 11, 2011
Hi i'm a canon user. I'm interested with the Pentax K-5 capabilities. And i'm just wondering of the pros and cons of using a Pentax and Canon. I'm currently using a Canon EOS 550D. Anyone care to give any suggestion/infos/updates/reviews.? Thanks. =)

Hi i'm a canon user. I'm interested with the Pentax K-5 capabilities. And i'm just wondering of the pros and cons of using a Pentax and Canon. I'm currently using a Canon EOS 550D. Anyone care to give any suggestion/infos/updates/reviews.? Thanks. =)

key issue imo is how heavily u've already invested in the current system and the relative cost of switching.

the 2nd issue is whether u're going to miss certain aspects of your current setup and whether u can live with it. all cameras have their pros and cons.

both are good cameras capable of taking goods pictures so u have to ask yourself "why change?" is there something abt your current setup that's not working for you?

imho change to 7d. unless u r so tulan abt canon. peace

Pentax differences are
1. the unique small primes and primes designed for APS-C
2. weather sealed lenses esp. for commercial zooms.
3. smaller form factor APS-C based DSLRs.
4. Colors off camera
5. camera features for the same price.
6. Compatibility to its legacy lenses
7. User interface
8. in-camera SR

All these are pro or cons depending on one's preference for a DSLR.
You have to decide for yourself if you are switching for valid reasons and some of the offerings mentioned above.

To me all the above makes me stay with Pentax.

I started my dSLR journey with Canon 500D. I was beginning to enjoy the Canon EOS system until I faced 2 factors:
1) Canon is upping the sensor megapixel in new EOS models, which 'forces' users towards the expensive L lenses in order to reap the potential of the high megapixels. Meanwhile, the stable of non-L lenses remain the same, the best being the 15-85mm zoom lens. I don't like this strategy.
2) Canon EOS dSLRs produce skin tones under tungsten light that is too warm for my taste. Sometimes the skin appeared like jaundice. Under flourescent light, the skin tone is too pinkish, but this is entirely subjective. I shoot mainly portraits of my family.
I switched to Nikon & loved the skin tone. Nikkor 18-200mm lens was all I needed & used. But what drew me to Pentax was its unassuming characteristic & its inexpensive lenses relative to Canon & Nikon lenses. Although I prefer Nikon's skin tone, Pentax's is unique; can't really describe it. I'm enjoying my K5 + 18-135mm + FA 50mm.
As I used dSLR more, I realised the value of ergonomics, which wasn't important to me when I started. The ergonomics of K5 is much better than all the entry level Canon dSLRs & on par with 60D. You will have to try them to appreciate K5 ergonomics. These are my 2-cent worth.

I started my dSLR journey with Canon 500D. I was beginning to enjoy the Canon EOS system until I faced 2 factors:
1) Canon is upping the sensor megapixel in new EOS models, which 'forces' users towards the expensive L lenses in order to reap the potential of the high megapixels. Meanwhile, the stable of non-L lenses remain the same, the best being the 15-85mm zoom lens. I don't like this strategy.
2) Canon EOS dSLRs produce skin tones under tungsten light that is too warm for my taste. Sometimes the skin appeared like jaundice. Under flourescent light, the skin tone is too pinkish, but this is entirely subjective. I shoot mainly portraits of my family.
I switched to Nikon & loved the skin tone. Nikkor 18-200mm lens was all I needed & used. But what drew me to Pentax was its unassuming characteristic & its inexpensive lenses relative to Canon & Nikon lenses. Although I prefer Nikon's skin tone, Pentax's is unique; can't really describe it. I'm enjoying my K5 + 18-135mm + FA 50mm.
As I used dSLR more, I realised the value of ergonomics, which wasn't important to me when I started. The ergonomics of K5 is much better than all the entry level Canon dSLRs & on par with 60D. You will have to try them to appreciate K5 ergonomics. These are my 2-cent worth.

Generally, the K5 color rendition under the condition you mentioned is much better than the current Canon APS-C cameras, including the 7D. But in outdoor shooting, I don't like the K5's rendition of green and blue. The K5 is an excellent camera and should hold its own against even the Canon 7D. Having used the K5 for 4 months after moving from Canon, what I missed most is Canon's EOS utilities especially in conectivity, post processing software, OEM localised technical services, easier access to lenses and accessories, especially when one can easily rent one, shoot it for a day before deciding to buy or not. Ergonomics was not my concern when I switched as one will get used to another style soon, but I hate the location of the on/off button as that place should have been for the shutter wheel. Overall, definitely a better camera than any Canon APS-C except maybe in the AF department in both the body and lenses. So TS, it depends on why you want to switch from Canon and what's wrong with your 550D.

Very simple. Just join the Pentax monthly outing and bring your canon along. And yes, its fine to bring non-pentax camera.

So when is the next Pentax outing.? =)

Hi, I'm typically a Canon user as well from the 400D till now. I fumble much using the Canon and always thought the Nikon was better hence back to the manual I goes. Problem with Canon is there are alot to tweak on the camera to get a good peekture from any given situation especially the 1, 5 & 7D series... but you surely can get very close real life image of your subject. However, by then, most of your subject may have dissapeared or re-located slightly. Unless you're shooting still life or products. The standard white balance also sucks big time especially indoor... you need to go another stage to do the balance shift., a very tedious affair and in many circumstances, I set it to "faithful" or "neutral" where the cameller logics is closed to minimum and rely on post processing. I have picked up a Nikon for travel and find it so much easier to use, just that it still doesn't have the dynamic range of the Canon, comparing the D90 to 40D for example. I believe the D3 series will be on par though.

Recently I have grown interested in Pentax as well and understand that most Pentax shooter really loves their cameller, it's impressive. I gather that Pentax do offer good value to the shooter being the main reason. Where do you guys normally sent your cameller for service? I will look out for the Bk Brown outing and hope to join you guys for a round of shoot. Not sure if I may end up with a Pentax by then. :))) .. I'm basically torn between a Canon and Pentax being my next cameller.

i didnt know pentax sells camels..

i didnt know pentax sells camels..

It's his avatar. The cameller has BBB virus!

What interested you in Pentax? Or "interested" in the sense that since you're in the market, you just wanted to explore and expand your options? :)

Anthony Lee said:
Generally, the K5 color rendition under the condition you mentioned is much better than the current Canon APS-C cameras, including the 7D. But in outdoor shooting, I don't like the K5's rendition of green and blue. The K5 is an excellent camera and should hold its own against even the Canon 7D. Having used the K5 for 4 months after moving from Canon, what I missed most is Canon's EOS utilities especially in conectivity, post processing software, OEM localised technical services, easier access to lenses and accessories, especially when one can easily rent one, shoot it for a day before deciding to buy or not. Ergonomics was not my concern when I switched as one will get used to another style soon, but I hate the location of the on/off button as that place should have been for the shutter wheel. Overall, definitely a better camera than any Canon APS-C except maybe in the AF department in both the body and lenses. So TS, it depends on why you want to switch from Canon and what's wrong with your 550D.

Have you found out how to solve the green & blue issue when shooting outdoors? I have tried playing with the Colour Hue thing but it doesn't seem to have much effect.

Plus there's this reddish skin colour tones on faces sometimes. It's weird and I think it happens in certain lighting only... Don't know maybe it's my wrong settings?

I'm using Vibrant, adding values to Sharpness and contrast and some saturation.

How to tweak it to make it better?

Have you found out how to solve the green & blue issue when shooting outdoors? I have tried playing with the Colour Hue thing but it doesn't seem to have much effect.

Plus there's this reddish skin colour tones on faces sometimes. It's weird and I think it happens in certain lighting only... Don't know maybe it's my wrong settings?

I'm using Vibrant, adding values to Sharpness and contrast and some saturation.

How to tweak it to make it better?

Main things to take note are white balance & exposure

From my experience, i absolutely adore k5's color outdoor. Natural and lovely, not to forget extremely subtle on the skin tone. I'm using Natural settings, only bumped up a notch on the fine sharpness.

As a newbie I find that lens also plays a part in colour temperature. The new 18-135 has a more vibrant colours as compared to DA35 2.4.

As a newbie I find that lens also plays a part in colour temperature. The new 18-135 has a more vibrant colours as compared to DA35 2.4.

Depends on individual taste i guess. I find overall color rendition from the 18-135 really unnatural ever since i saw the first sample images posted.

Much like audiophile I suppose?

The white balance affects color, the metering (which in turn affects exposure) affects color, the lens affects color, the color settings on the camera affects color.

All these need to be taken into account, I think one particular strength of the K-5 is its very good auto white balance, especially under artificial light.

And if you are very particular about color, post processing can help to level the playing field between all cameras.