Canon SX1 vs Sony HX1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoppie

Aug 13, 2009
Sorry guys, i am new here and very noob to photography, like to learn from people here. I believe the above has been discuss numerous times, sorry if i have brought it up again.

I am actually look for a Prosumer camera to replace my CMI PnS Pentax :( The problem with my pentax is the noise level is really high and pictures is always over expose, most of the settings are auto and i can't do much either except Shoot and Pray. My Vintage Canon S45 gives better PQ than the Pentax but it's too old and battery is dying.

I am looking at the above 2 prosumer after reading reviews at dpreview, so need to get genuine opinions here.

Can anyone share your experience of the above with me? What are the majority using and how they feel?

And if anyone knows the pricing and place to buy do PM me if not convenient here too.

Oh if you wanna sell any of the above and upgrade to a DSLR, please contact me thanks! :thumbsup:

What i look for in a Camera:
- Picture quality (hopefully it's smart enough in Auto mode so my wife can use it easily)
- Video, want to double up as video cam but how is the quality for both?
- speed in terms of waiting for the cam to be ready for next shoot and boot up time.

really depends on how much you want to spend.

for less then $170, there isnt many that can compete with the Panasonic LZ8 spec for spec. And the convenience is its using AA battery so if ever run out of battery, just go any shop to replace them. Also has manual controls if want to play.
video quality. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl5P6UkSyaM

between the sx and hx,

The SX would be the logical choice for long term as its basically a dslr without changeable lens and comes with shoe mount for an external flash or something else. Got some learning curve though.
The HX would be the simplest to use but basically thats it. For the everyday snapshots and video...more then enough.

Last edited:
The HX would be the simplest to use but basically thats it. For the everyday snapshots and video...more then enough.

aaah bro, the HX1 is quite a bit more powerful than the SX1. Sweep panorama, tilting LCD, 20x zoom G lens, etc etc

SX1 got swivel LCD :p even sweeter than tilting only

Continuous Shooting:

Canon SX1: 4 fps

Sony HX1: 10 fps

LCD Screen:

Canon SX1: 2.8"

Song HX1: 3.0"

Weight without battery

Canon: 585g

Sony HX1: 514g

OMG! i though that SX1 is lighter than HX1!!!! may i know which form factor is smaller?

OMG! i though that SX1 is lighter than HX1!!!! may i know which form factor is smaller?

Aiyaa, I spoonfeed you a little.

From dpreview:

Canon SX1: 128 x 88 x 88 mm (5 x 3.5 x 3.5 in)
Sony HX1: 115 x 83 x 92 mm (4.5 x 3.3 x 3.6 in)

You may wish to consider SX10 IS too, if you don't need the HD video on SX1IS.
According to DPreview, SX10 is actually more recommended then the SX1IS

yeah i check out the price the difference is $100+

The Canon SX10 IS have a tiny 2.5" LCD.

Sensor Size?

HX1: 1/2.4"
SX1: 1/2.3"

lower means better when it comes to night pictures.

HD Recording?

HX1: 1440x1080 30fps

Sx1: Full HD 1080p (1920x1080)

Stills?

HX1: Jpeg

Sx1: Jpeg, Raw, Raw + Jpeg

ISO Range?

Hx1: 125-3200

SX1: 80-1600 (3200 as scene mode)

File Storage?

HX1: Memory Stick Duo/Pro Duo/ Pro HG Duo

SX1: SD / SDHC / MMC / MMC Plus / HC MMC Plus compatible

Aperture from Wide to Tele?

HX1: F2.8 to F8.0

SX1: F2.8 to F5.7

F5.7 at the 560mm tele end is pretty impressive for this size.

Status
Not open for further replies.