Canon Spring Post PMA Surprise!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jed

Jan 19, 2002
UK
Visit site
Canon today sprung a post PMA surprise.

I was on location at Elland Road and spoke to a top Canon pro, who wished to remain anonymous. He was speaking about the brilliance of the EOS 1D digital SLR that he had been using for the last month or so. He was extolling the virtues of a camera that had at last matched their EOS3 and EOS1 cameras. He also added that while waiting for a 2nd EOS1D, he was keeping his Kodak DCS520 digital SLR, but it paled in comparison. The conversation then took a turn for the worse when someone had the temerity to bring up the much maligned D30.

"It's only good as a doorstop now," he said. We split up, with another D30 user going to get his "antiques" ready, while I went to ready my own ancient Nikon equipment.

About 90 minutes later, out at pitchside, I spoke to a Dutch photographer next to me who was fortunate enough to be using two of the technical marvels that are the EOS1Ds. He was cursing about the 45 focusing points, and had just missed getting the crucial, late goal that took PSV Eindhoven into the next round of the UEFA Cup at Leeds United's expense. Just 5 minutes earlier, after my ancient Nikon equipment had already captured the goal, the picture was off to newsdesks all over the country via laptop and mobile phone.

There seems little doubt that the rumours that have persisted for some time that Canon are preparing to diversify into the doorstop market are indeed true, and the D30 looks a fantastic offering that is likely to grab them a large slice of the market share. The shock is that they also intend to raid the paperweight industry with the 1D, following it's dismal performance compared to obsolete technology like the Nikon D1 series.

All fiction, no fact. Aside from the fact that I did nail the shot while the 1Ds failed miserably :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

He probably spent too much time selecting which of the 45 focussing points to use. Or if he's using them as groups, the fully lit groups of focussing points is so bright, he blinked, and he missed the shot.

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Regards
CK

Oh, and any Canon users out there who intend to take offence... this is just for a laugh, okay? Heavily instigated by CK it might be added...

Hi

well wat can i say.......Canon is always too slow... :(

Too slow to introduce a Pro Digital SLR body...
Slow to respond to user feedback.....

And to add insult to the injury, now that the rumours are finally confirmed, Canon is waay tooo slow into the Doorstop and Paperweight industry, 2 industries that have been dominated by Nikon with their long illustrious line of D1 digital SLRS......

hey Canon, wake up! Pple have been using D1 as doorstops for ages! ;p And yes, you see Nikon F5 paperweights all over the National Geographic offices :)

And the D30s can't even compete properly in this area. With greater heft, bulk and metal build, the D1 series totally trashed the D30s as doorstops.

The possible saving grace, like i mentioned in a previous thread, (remember all this is still rumour!) is the possibility of starting your car with the D30! No mention yet of whether u can do that with a Nikon D1x, but from the rumours i heard, Nikon is firmly entrenched into the doorstop and paperweight industries and is not looking to diversify into that area.

these are exciting times indeed :cool:

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie: ROFL!!!
Absolutely hilarious!!!!

Seriously speaking, that Dutch photographer with the 2 EOS 1D doesn't seem to know his equipment well (makes me wonder, did he move from the EOS 1V / 3 or did he just jump in??)... I never fumble with my 45 points.. :p

Jed, what you have said seems like an operative fault from an inexperience hand, but not the 1D. It is a common practice not to rely on films or cameras you've not tested thoroughly for an important event, I think that applies on here too.

BTW, I've seen your shots from the D1, they were simply marvellous.

Originally posted by Edmund
Absolutely hilarious!!!!

Seriously speaking, that Dutch photographer with the 2 EOS 1D doesn't seem to know his equipment well (makes me wonder, did he move from the EOS 1V / 3 or did he just jump in??)... I never fumble with my 45 points.. :p

Maybe he switched from Nikon. :p yeah, that sure sounds like unfamiliarity of equipment.

Regards
CK

On the subject of doorstops and paperweights -

The rubberised covering and better weight-to-size ratio of the Nikon F-series provides superior gripping power and prevents door slippage in extreme conditions (simulated thunderstorm with 100km/h wind tested in Ang Mo Kio MRT wind tunnel division).

Similiar (unverified and very subjective) comparisons with the equivalent Canon camera indicates that the light weight and the plasticky covering on most Canon cameras provided inadequate grip to stop doors. Light breezes and, in one case, a tester breaking wind after a heavy meal with lots of onions, caused the doors to slam shut.

:bsmilie: ;p :what: :eek: ;)

IMHO, i think that there are several factors worth considering before condeming this piece of equipment.

first of all, you said the dutch missed the goal. i think that he can only have himself to blamed for missing the picture as it was his response who is too slow, not the camera. in fact, with any other traditional 135 SLR, you cannot blame it for missing a shot. you can only blame yourself.

and also, i dont think that Canon is slow just because they introduced the pro digital SLR slower then fuji and nikon. IMHO, i think that they were slow because they were inproving the technology of the camera. ask yourself: which pro digital SLR have 45 focusing points? EOS 1D only.

i dont think we shld start condemning the camera so soon, esp the manufacturer. i think that whether we can see if it is good or bad is only after extended use, not just 1 time use.

so, flame me if you want, but all of the above is just my 2 cents worth.

cheers,
leonard

Hi

the next thing we know, the forums will be full of posts like

"I have Door A. Which doorstop should i buy?"

"I mainly open doors from inside out. Which doorstop is better?"

"24mm third party Rubber pads for doorstops - Tamron, Tokina or Sigma?"

"My Canon doorstop is better than your Nikon one"

Originally posted by Red Dawn
Hi

the next thing we know, the forums will be full of posts like

"I have Door A. Which doorstop should i buy?"

"I mainly open doors from inside out. Which doorstop is better?"

"24mm third party Rubber pads for doorstops - Tamron, Tokina or Sigma?"

#3: Tamron. Rubber coated plastic tube. :p Tokina would be good for throwing at people to knock them out. :p

If you live in a windy place, use a Nikon doorstop. Otherwise, use a Canon door stop. ;)

Regards
CK

Originally posted by Darren
On the subject of doorstops and paperweights -

The rubberised covering and better weight-to-size ratio of the Nikon F-series provides superior gripping power and prevents door slippage in extreme conditions (simulated thunderstorm with 100km/h wind tested in Ang Mo Kio MRT wind tunnel division).

Similiar (unverified and very subjective) comparisons with the equivalent Canon camera indicates that the light weight and the plasticky covering on most Canon cameras provided inadequate grip to stop doors. Light breezes and, in one case, a tester breaking wind after a heavy meal with lots of onions, caused the doors to slam shut.
hahhahahahaha ROFL!!!! :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Just too bad Canon cameras only has rubberized hand grips and not rubberized bottoms!!! :D :p ;p

To be fair, guys, the Dutch photographer had just got his 1Ds. I have no idea whether he'd just come up from that creaking D30, or more likely the DCS520. Of course, he's having the last laugh at the moment, because while I'll probably clean up in the papers tomorrow (and then again, maybe not), he'll be continuing to shoot the UEFA Cup with Feyenoord and PSV both eleminating British opposition (Rangers and Leeds respectively).

Originally posted by Jed
To be fair, guys, the Dutch photographer had just got his 1Ds. I have no idea whether he'd just come up from that creaking D30, or more likely the DCS520. Of course, he's having the last laugh at the moment, because while I'll probably clean up in the papers tomorrow (and then again, maybe not), he'll be continuing to shoot the UEFA Cup with Feyenoord and PSV both eleminating British opposition (Rangers and Leeds respectively).

And continue to miss the goal coz he's probably yet to familiarize himself with the new acquisition. :D

Regards
CK

On the subject of doorstops and paperweights, don't forget that Canon also hold the edge with their white L doorstops and paperweights. Has the advantage of camouflage to be less obtrusive to the decor (although try telling that to the photographer who stubbed his toe on the 400/2.8L-stop).

Also, tests have apparently shown that because Canon's deadweights are white, they are less susceptible to the elements, in particular changes in temperature. How useful this proves in the doorstop market in debatable, because as the temperature changes, the door expands and contracts, as does the gap between door and floor. Having a black doorstop not only helps to stop accidents with stubbed toes, but also ensures the doorstop can contract and expand with the door, therefore perfectly filling the gap between door and floor at any given temperature.

I can just hear the advertising slogans:

The perfect deadweight for your door and floor!

Originally posted by Edmund
Absolutely hilarious!!!!

Ed, you don't shoot sports, so your opinion doesn't count. :p

Originally posted by langzi
IMHO, i think that there are several factors worth considering before condeming this piece of equipment.

Hey Leonard, relax! Just having a laugh... as is everyone else.

first of all, you said the dutch missed the goal. i think that he can only have himself to blamed for missing the picture as it was his response who is too slow, not the camera. in fact, with any other traditional 135 SLR, you cannot blame it for missing a shot. you can only blame yourself.

Trust me on this one. In my line, each and every single photographer is fully capable of reacting to events as they happen. It wasn't his response, just his inability to handle the 45 focusing points.

ask yourself: which pro digital SLR have 45 focusing points? EOS 1D only.

To be honest, 45 focusing points is the last reason why I would buy a 1D. I would for 4mp and 8fps. The 45 focusing points were not what were in development as those had already been in existence for about 3-4 years on the EOS3 already.

i dont think we shld start condemning the camera so soon, esp the manufacturer. i think that whether we can see if it is good or bad is only after extended use, not just 1 time use.

I'm joking. I'd be the first to admit I'd do better than I do now with a 1D in m hands than with my current setup. But I'm waiting for the D2 or whatever it's called.

so, flame me if you want, but all of the above is just my 2 cents worth.

Just take things easier mate!

Originally posted by YSLee

Ed, you don't shoot sports, so your opinion doesn't count. :p
Oh please... you don't need to shoot sports to know how to change focus points quickly. :D

Originally posted by Jed
On the subject of doorstops and paperweights, don't forget that Canon also hold the edge with their white L doorstops and paperweights. Has the advantage of camouflage to be less obtrusive to the decor (although try telling that to the photographer who stubbed his toe on the 400/2.8L-stop).

Hi

think u missed the point completely.

Canon's doorstops and paperweights are very slient in operation with their USM (Unheard Slamming Mechanism) technology, and very fast. Try slamming that door, and the doorstop will quickly dampen the movement and stop the door completely, and all this with completely silent operation.

Try that with Nikon doorstops. Most of them, except for the high end expensive AFS (Afterthought Force-Fit Silencer) ones, create grinding and creaking sounds and they turn and turn but just couldn't achieve a lock on the door :)

even then, Nikon high end doorstops achieve door lock slower than Canon ones ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.