Canon & Sigma

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cinochee

Jul 17, 2008
Is it true that Canon lens is much more sharper and the color is much more richer than Sigma lens?

Is it true that Canon lens is much more sharper and the color is much more richer than Sigma lens?

If u're comparing the tele ones, Canon triumphs. Else pretty much similar in sharpness, only thing colour's a bit different.

Personally, I feel there is big difference. Because I was using Kit lens 18-55mm non-IS and now I using Sigma 18-200 IS. And the color with the canon Kit lens is much more richer than Sigma lens.

you could try borrowing one lens each that is of the same focal length and compare them.:)

are you shooting the same subject at equal settings? if not, no point comparing - it's a bit like comparing malaysian apples with indonesian oranges for example.

Personally, I feel there is big difference. Because I was using Kit lens 18-55mm non-IS and now I using Sigma 18-200 IS. And the color with the canon Kit lens is much more richer than Sigma lens.

Super zooms (like 18-200) tend to loose out in image quality to convenience.

you really have to depend on which lenses you are comparing against.

and of course, comparing apples to apples.

you cant possibily compare an all in one zoom with a wide to mid zoom, or a super tele with a prime right?

i've owned many sigma lenses before, and i can safely say if you're getting a good pro grade glass, the sigma alternative is as good.

good sigma alternatives like sigma 10-20, sigma 30 f/1.4, sigma 70-200 f/2.8, etc.

In the early 1990s I bought 2 Sigma lenses for Canon EOS.
By the late 1990s, Canon changed something in their cameras.
Older Canon EOS lenses worked with the newer bodies.
But the Sigmas were no longer compatible. They could focus but Err99 when you try to shoot.

Called Sigma - they said - oh, need to rechip but no more chips available, you can bring in and trade in for new Sigma lenses.

In the end I sold the lenses for a song ($50 each) - they cost me $700 new.

So, NO MORE Sigma lenses for me, thank you very much.

You can't generalise like that. Some Sigma lenses (the high grade ones, like those Stratix has pointed out) do perform very well, and are really value-for-money alternatives to the originals on the market.

In fact, some Sigma lenses are the only options to go for when the original manufacturer does not produce anything for such purposes. An example would be the 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 EX DG, the widest AF rectilinear lens currently on the market. Another example is the 20mm f/1.8 EX DG.

Here's a sample of the Sigma 10-20. No boost of saturation or sharpness. Selective colour work and contrast curve applied:

343140da16595bd5a9df206ad176ccb9.jpg

You can't generalise like that. Some Sigma lenses (the high grade ones, like those Stratix has pointed out) do perform very well, and are really value-for-money alternatives to the originals on the market.

In fact, some Sigma lenses are the only options to go for when the original manufacturer does not produce anything for such purposes. An example would be the 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 EX DG, the widest AF rectilinear lens currently on the market. Another example is the 20mm f/1.8 EX DG.

Here's a sample of the Sigma 10-20. No boost of saturation or sharpness. Selective colour work and contrast curve applied:

343140da16595bd5a9df206ad176ccb9.jpg

Selective colour! wow... the Sigma has a good taste for colour!

To the TS: That's like saying Americans are all much more plump than Asians when you have Michael Phelps over there and horribly overweight kids here.

It doesn't make sense to generalise like that. Each company will have their strengths and weaknesses in different lenses.

To the TS: That's like saying Americans are all much more plump than Asians when you have Michael Phelps over there and horribly overweight kids here.

It doesn't make sense to generalise like that. Each company will have their strengths and weaknesses in different lenses.

Fresh analogy. I thought we already beat the apples and oranges to pulp already. haha.

Thanks Guys, I think this is up to personal likings. Anyway maybe is because the setting is wrong or the lighting. There could be many possibilities. Really thanks for replying guys. Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.