Canon service center

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryaan

Sep 22, 2009
just got back from keppel bay tower, sent my camera for sensor cleaning.

before going down, i called their service hot-line and inquired about the cleaning. the person just told me to go down and take a queue number. i mentioned that i had warranty.

upon reaching there, i was told that sensor cleaning is not included in the warranty and had to pay additional charges. so i paid.

after an hour, i went back to collect my camera. i went out of the building to take a pic of the sky and found that there were still dust looking through the viewfinder as well as on the picture i took.

i went back up and showed them the picture, and they went to clean it again..

after 10 mins, i got back my camera. however, it was still not cleaned properly. i gave it back to them for 3rd cleaning.

den.. after 10 mins, they gave me back but still the dust were still there.

after the 5th cleaning, with the dust still in there, they told me the dust was stuck on the low-pass filter and the body needs to be disassembled to get rid of the dust. they would do it for free since it is still under warranty.

now, the thing is, could the dust be stuck there caused by canon staff? and if after i collect again and the dust still there, would this be considered that they did not accomplish their service and i should not have been charged..

thanks for reading the chunk of words. haha ;)

now, the thing is, could the dust be stuck there caused by canon staff? and if after i collect again and the dust still there, would this be considered that they did not accomplish their service and i should not have been charged..
Possibly... They definitely do not clean sensors in a lab or something. Just make sure they get it done before paying.

Anything's possible but I don't think they do it deliberately. Just means more work for them.

At least you're getting it ripped apart and done FOC now.

Possibly... They definitely do not clean sensors in a lab or something. Just make sure they get it done before paying.

i paid alrdy... i went out of the building to check and then went back.. argh!!

Anything's possible but I don't think they do it deliberately. Just means more work for them.

At least you're getting it ripped apart and done FOC now.

hope they don't destroy it further and then ask me need pay money to replace parts etc.. sobs

i think the most inconvenient thing is to spend almost half a day there.. waste of time.. :nono:

Under warranty. If parts need replacing, they won't charge you for it, unless they suspect the damage was cause by you lah. I don't understand your statement ... what has been destroyed so far?

hw much did you pay for the sensor cleaning?..

i think the most inconvenient thing is to spend almost half a day there.. waste of time.. :nono:

yea man! initially i tot 1 hour can already, in de end now become 5 days. haha..

Under warranty. If parts need replacing, they won't charge you for it, unless they suspect the damage was cause by you lah. I don't understand your statement ... what has been destroyed so far?

no la i never go itchy backside play with the internal organs.

"destroy"

But generally their staffs are all quite nice and patience. 5th cleaning .. :bigeyes:

Last edited:
if i not mistaken, getting a 100% clean sensor at F22 or smaller apertures is virtually impossible when u pixel-peep, even when it is a paid cleaning. the dust will still find its way back somehow or rather. normally shooting is done F16 or larger, so any dust is unnoticeable even at 100% crop. so have to manage one's expectations a bit. :)

if i not mistaken, getting a 100% clean sensor at F22 or smaller apertures is virtually impossible when u pixel-peep, even when it is a paid cleaning. the dust will still find its way back somehow or rather.
normally shooting is done F16 or larger, so any dust is unnoticeable even at 100% crop. so have to manage one's expectations a bit. :)

find its way back right after cleaning? how unfortunate of me :(

would you pay for a service that wasn't done properly?

But generally their staffs are all quite nice and patience. 5th cleaning .. :bigeyes:

yeaps, very patient and nice staffs. :D

I also brought it for cleaning recently.

There was an improvement lar, but at f/22 still have 2 noticeable spots.

I also brought it for cleaning recently.

There was an improvement lar, but at f/22 still have 2 noticeable spots.

another testimony.

btw. is it true that we cannot obtain a 100% clean sensor even right after we get it back after cleaning?

I have done a couple of cleaning at CSC for my friend's old 400D. CSC primarily does a dry clean method using a bulb blower. Your dust got stuck in Low Pass Filter doesn't mean that they have to disassemble the body to clean it. They can / will resort to the wet method to clean it.

If you're paying for the service to clean, you have all the rights to expect the sensor / low pass filter to be clean at the time of your acceptance. Dust is inevitable and you'll eventually get more dust in the sensor in the due course.

Fret not about the number of times that the engineer took to clean it. Search for my post on my experience with NSC where the guy took more than 7 times before I gave up and cleaned it myself at home after my trip.

if i not mistaken, getting a 100% clean sensor at F22 or smaller apertures is virtually impossible when u pixel-peep, even when it is a paid cleaning. the dust will still find its way back somehow or rather. normally shooting is done F16 or larger, so any dust is unnoticeable even at 100% crop. so have to manage one's expectations a bit. :)

If any user can get a clean picture at F22 after cleaning using Sensor Swab + E2 or Eclipse, I expect the respective service center to provide such a quality of service when there's a fee charged for it. Period.

I have done a couple of cleaning at CSC for my friend's old 400D. CSC primarily does a dry clean method using a bulb blower. Your dust got stuck in Low Pass Filter doesn't mean that they have to disassemble the body to clean it. They can / will resort to the wet method to clean it.

If you're paying for the service to clean, you have all the rights to expect the sensor / low pass filter to be clean at the time of your acceptance. Dust is inevitable and you'll eventually get more dust in the sensor in the due course.

Fret not about the number of times that the engineer took to clean it. Search for my post on my experience with NSC where the guy took more than 7 times before I gave up and cleaned it myself at home after my trip.
I am a bit surprise the service centre does not do a wet clean when they charge for the cleaning. Most people can do the dry cleaning with their blower themselves. I guess next time I send the camera in for sensor cleaning, I would have to insist on the wet cleaning and then make sure they know I am going to check for dust afterward. Hopefully, they will do the job right the first time.

I am a bit surprise the service centre does not do a wet clean when they charge for the cleaning. Most people can do the dry cleaning with their blower themselves. I guess next time I send the camera in for sensor cleaning, I would have to insist on the wet cleaning and then make sure they know I am going to check for dust afterward. Hopefully, they will do the job right the first time.

Exactly! I strongly advise the users to try cleaning using a blower. For the brave enough people, it's not that hard to use Sensor Swab + E2 or Eclipse. There are tons of videos available from the manufacturer of Sensor Swab as well as independent videos on Youtube on Sensor cleaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.