canon s95 or s100 or olympus zx1?

dysfunktional

Apr 10, 2007
Hi all! Looking to buy a smaller camera to bring around for shooting since I won't always be carrying my canon 400d as I find it to be rather heavy.

Can anyone advise me on which camera to go for? I only managed to try the s95 and zx1. I was at Cathay trying both and the salesguy was raving about oly due to the f1.8 lens as well as the 1cm macro focus distance.

Over at john3:16, they only had the canon s95 available. Sales guy there said that canon s95 excels in low light photography although oly has a lower aperture speed of f1.8. I can't decide which is the better one to go for. I didn't manage to try the s100 but sales guy at john3:16 said that the s100 suffers from focusing issues. Any comment on that?

At the end of the day, I just want a good all round performance camera, any advice given is greatly appreciated!

Din own any of those cam. But have the older S90. Like the cam a lot due to it compact size (can fit in my Jean pocket) n gd IQ for a compact cam this size.
The oly slightly bigger in size n have a lens cap, which I dun really like as need keep cap when shooting. But of cos u can buy those type split cap which dun need to remove n allow lens to extend out. For me I prefer canon due to size.
Think there video from digitrev which feature both oly n s95.

Hi there. I own an XZ-1 and i think its a great cam. Why not you bring down your own sd card and test the cameras. In this way when you upload the photos to your computer, you will be able to make a more detailed side by side comparison. I agree the 1cm super macro for XZ-1 is good but i do not foresee my self using it very often. Anyway here is a sample of a photo taken under extreme low light condition for your reference. Shot handheld in jpeg straight out of cam and not a single editing done.

PC230420.jpg

Exif of photo above.
Exif.jpg

At the end of the day. Get something that you are very comfortable with and will bring out more often to shoot with. After all, a good camera is a camera that is always with you. :)

mabmy said:
Hi there. I own an XZ-1 and i think its a great cam. Why not you bring down your own sd card and test the cameras. In this way when you upload the photos to your computer, you will be able to make a more detailed side by side comparison. I agree the 1cm super macro for XZ-1 is good but i do not foresee my self using it very often. Anyway here is a sample of a photo taken under extreme low light condition for your reference. Shot handheld in jpeg straight out of cam and not a single editing done.

Exif of photo above.

At the end of the day. Get something that you are very comfortable with and will bring out more often to shoot with. After all, a good camera is a camera that is always with you. :)

Doesn't XZ-1 suffer from weird colour output?

donut88 said:

I'm not sure what is this weird colour output you are referring to but for me everything seems to look fine. Usually it's just about getting the wb right when shooting in jpeg, in raw i just shoot and correct everything else later. For uploading to social networking sites and a few prints, this little fella does a great job even under low light conditions for a compact cam. :)

Sometimes it happens if you didn't set the White Balance correctly... on my recent Scuba Diving trip... this happens quite a few time with my buddy's camera... till we found out the problem.

Since TS had already handle both the S95 and XZ-1... how does each camera felt in his/her hands?

I would say that both are good cameras and had equal number of supporters, so it would be rather difficult for TS to decide after a couple of days and everyone trying to input what they feel TS should get for the compact.

What I am getting here is... TS, get the one that you feel best in your hand... be it size, grip (or lack of a grip), button placements, user interface, etc. Then get that one... oh... and do check out the mirrorless options too. Heard that tkfoto is letting go of the GF2 for S$599 (with 14-42mm lens) this is great value! And I am sure, the Panasonic GF-2 would have much better high ISO performance than the compacts.

Last edited:
i like the oly since it reminds me of the old sch cameras. but i do like the compact size of s95.

any one with any comments on s100?

i guess my main concern is just the IQ, be it in daylight or low light. the rest is a matter of getting used to. This is so hard!!! :p

are u using it? any word from people who are actually using it? asked about panasonic models at john3:16 but was not recommended at all..

are u using it? any word from people who are actually using it? asked about panasonic models at john3:16 but was not recommended at all..

You can have a look at the Panasonic subforum under Equipment Discussions.

Yup, am using LX5. Most divers shooting UW with compact choose either of these models due to its full control on exposure settings.

PS - shops tend to recommend what they sell. Event among those they sell, likely to recommend one that give them bigger margin.

Last edited:
i like the oly since it reminds me of the old sch cameras. but i do like the compact size of s95.

any one with any comments on s100?

i guess my main concern is just the IQ, be it in daylight or low light. the rest is a matter of getting used to. This is so hard!!! :p

Actually I would still recommend the Panasonic GF2 which is selling at $599 from TKfoto. It had much better ISO noise handling capability as compared to compact. And it is not really much bigger than the compact... plus you have all the manual controls you need.

rhino123 said:
Actually I would still recommend the Panasonic GF2 which is selling at $599 from TKfoto. It had much better ISO noise handling capability as compared to compact. And it is not really much bigger than the compact... plus you have all the manual controls you need.

Problem with gf2 is that you need to take as much care with mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras as Dslr, and that involves dust on sensor as well as dry cabinet. But have to admit the price is indeed very very good.

Well in this case I will just look at the oly and canon models. Don't want to further confuse myself. The sample pics showing off the f1.8 shots are making me drool for it. Can any s95 users tell me if that effect can be reproduced?

dysfunktional said:
Well in this case I will just look at the oly and canon models. Don't want to further confuse myself. The sample pics showing off the f1.8 shots are making me drool for it. Can any s95 users tell me if that effect can be reproduced?

U won't go wrong with s95 or XZ1. I think both are just as good.

And most impt thing, these 2 have resale value. If u don't like later, u can just resell it easily.

add in the x10 from fujifilm haha

I was in the same dilemma myself just recently.
I would have gone for the S95 if I weren't a new-gear freak,
since it's not much more than half the price of the S100 (especially when it was $229 for a day or two in the US).
I ended up getting an X10, but if pocketability is important to you and you can live without buying the
newest available camera, I say you can settle for the S95 and be happy about it. It's a great camera.

-eyalg

Last edited: