Canon S50 "bokeh" DOF

Status
Not open for further replies.

sinlg

Jun 21, 2004
Anyone know how to achieve bokeh with the S50? tips welcome. I'm planning to do a series of photoshoot with the S50 - mostly landscape and architecture. Any suggestions?

err....sorry about this but i don't think people really use bokeh with landscape and architecture, i thought mainly with portraits and macros....I maybe wrong though....

i also beginner but if i not wrong as long as you shooting with very big aperture will have nice bokeh... if u cannot control aperture then make shutter speed very high so automatically camera will use widest aperture. Wonder if the experts agree heheh...

sinlg said:
Anyone know how to achieve bokeh with the S50? tips welcome. I'm planning to do a series of photoshoot with the S50 - mostly landscape and architecture. Any suggestions?

For landscape, you would want to shoot with the smallest f/stop possible (f/8.0 i believe for S50), in order to get the entire landscape in focus. The use of bokeh in this situation would be unnecessary, unless there's some special syle you're intending to shoot?

As for architecture, depends again how and what ind of style you are going for.

Basically shooting at maximum zoom with the smallest f/stop value (big aperture), with the subject nearer the lens, will render most bokeh in the background. The nearer your subject/target is to the lens and the smaller your f/stop value, the more bokeh you'll have in the background.

I believe true bokeh is harder to acheive on P&S's because of their smaller sensor size. Even if you try using the smallest f-stop no. you'll still come out with relatively sharp bokeh-less pictures...

Cheers.

mr_jason said:
Basically shooting at maximum zoom with the smallest f/stop value (big aperture), with the subject nearer the lens, will render most bokeh in the background. The nearer your subject/target is to the lens and the smaller your f/stop value, the more bokeh you'll have in the background.

just to back up what mr-jason said here are 2 pics from my S1

First is shot at 5.8mm and f/2.8, I have got as close as I could to the wire to blur the back ground

link.jpg

and the second at 58mm and f/4 , again getting as close as I could to the subject to blur the background

miner-1.jpg

Hi,

Very nice examples of bokeh with the S1. But can the S50 do the same? Since the focal length of the S50 is not as large as the S1, so alot harder to achieve the same effects?

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.