Canon S5 IS - How to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mchen15

Sep 26, 2007
Singapore
Hi everyone, I just purchased a Canon S5 IS in the hopes of picking up more photography tips. I wanna ask:

- how do i shoot a night scene of the roads from a high way (say from a bridge, of the expressway), with the lights turning out to be lines? how do i control the aperture and stuff?

- how do i shoot a picture in a fast moving vehicle, with the foreground remaining clear while the background is blurry (like in motion)?

Appreciate all the help I can get! I'm a noob! :D

Firstly, you must use tripod...night shooting tripod is a must. Even IS also cannot help...

Secondly, see which traffic area you want to shoot, preferably you can see traffic flowing on both direction. Mount your steady tripod, frame your shot...now best if you have a remote switch or if not change to a timer mode... use one of this to prevent camera shake...

Once the traffic is moving... set to Tv, player around 10, 20, 30 sec. See the result. Should be able to capture what you want...

All this step is a must....

Hi everyone, I just purchased a Canon S5 IS in the hopes of picking up more photography tips. I wanna ask:

- how do i shoot a night scene of the roads from a high way (say from a bridge, of the expressway), with the lights turning out to be lines? how do i control the aperture and stuff?

- how do i shoot a picture in a fast moving vehicle, with the foreground remaining clear while the background is blurry (like in motion)?

1) I assume u are talking about the lights from the vehicles. The important thing here is the slow shutter speed. To have a slower shutter, try having a low ISO, small aperture (that is big F value). There are no absolute right or wrong answer, just play with it (especially ur preferred F value) and see what u like.

2) I assume ur foreground is the vehicle (subject). The important part is the big aperture. Big aperture means small F value. You can try doing it while at home shooting some inanimate objects and look at the blur (of course it will not look like motion). Again no right or wrong answer, only what u like. But i am sure u will have a "not so gd" time shooting fast objects with S5IS (well maybe bright sunny light helps).

My suggestions are just very general stuff. I suggest u read up more on the technical aspect of cameras. Knowing the basics plus a little bit of common sense, i'm sure you can get it very fast. Hope this helps.

Do you mean shooting a picture OF a vehicle or IN a vehicle? If you are refering to shooting OF a vehicle, search for panning

just a tip, when u wan to shoot night shot wif lights turning out to be lines, choose a road where the is less likely of vehicles changing lanes ( esp expressway) , if not ur lines will intersect each other and then turn out not nice

Have you read your manual?

Status
Not open for further replies.