Canon S40 Night Scene

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

ewn

I am a very newbie :p
I have Canon S40. I'm quite satisfied with the quality
Yesterday, I was taking a photo with 'Night Scene' mode. I know that with that mode, I must hold my camera as steady as possible. The less shake = the better pic I got
But the problem came when I shoot the photo and I've tried to hold the camera but the camera is still blurry
Now, how to shoot people in the night without worried the camera shaking? I prefer to not use 'manual' mode
Thank's

I don't want to buy / use tripod:dunno:

put your camera on the ground, railings, watever. just dun hand hold it.

Kill yourself then change into vampire. Because if u are breathing.. u probably have some shaking.

Use a tripod is the best way.

Klause said what I wanted to say ;p

you could get a small little mini tripod if you don't want to rest your camera directly on surfaces.

Originally posted by Klause
Kill yourself then change into vampire. Because if u are breathing.. u probably have some shaking.

:eek: :eek:

Go to John 3:16 at Funan Center, they have those tiny little tripods. About 4 inches when closed.

There's not many people that can hold a camera steady for night shots. You think your hand is steady, but in fact, it not as steady as you think.... Just a tiny little movement would mean a shot out of focus.

;)

Originally posted by mpenza
Klause said what I wanted to say ;p

you could get a small little mini tripod if you don't want to rest your camera directly on surfaces.

Originally posted by ewn
I am a very newbie :p
I have Canon S40. I'm quite satisfied with the quality
Yesterday, I was taking a photo with 'Night Scene' mode. I know that with that mode, I must hold my camera as steady as possible. The less shake = the better pic I got
But the problem came when I shoot the photo and I've tried to hold the camera but the camera is still blurry
Now, how to shoot people in the night without worried the camera shaking? I prefer to not use 'manual' mode
Thank's

If you want to shoot people in the night without worrying about blurring, you will need to turn on the flash.

If not, tripod is a must :D I will applause to whoever able to take a clear and sharp night shot with just using his bare hands without any support :bsmilie:

Best advice I heard ever :bsmilie:

Which comes to the next point, how do I ensure I will become a vampire after I'm dead? haha :D

j/k ah

Originally posted by Blitz

If not, tripod is a must :D I will applause to whoever able to take a clear and sharp night shot with just using his bare hands without any support :bsmilie:

Our resident sniper might be able to do it if it's not too long.....

Our resident sniper normally sprawled on the ground. Don't think you can be a good sniper standing up.

Don't think we want to get down on the ground in public areas to take photographs, do we?

;)

Originally posted by mpenza

Our resident sniper might be able to do it if it's not too long.....

I thot must let another vamp suck ur blud then can be vamp??? :confused:

Is there any way to shoot a night shoot without using 'Night Scene'? Maybe 'Landscape' mode with flash enabled? or 'Auto'?

Hi ewn

Tripod can make a very BIG different in your picture quality.... you should try it. No matter how stable you think you are or how good you hold your breath, your body will still move.

Originally posted by ewn
Is there any way to shoot a night shoot without using 'Night Scene'? Maybe 'Landscape' mode with flash enabled? or 'Auto'?

the best will be to go into shutter priority mode (Tv) or manual mode (M) on your camera. Flash is useful only when you are taking near subjects, like people near you. Flash can allow you to take the picture at a higher shutter speed, thus reducing the chance of camera shake. However, the flash range is limited and can only reach near subjects, so all backgrounds (like 4m and further) will turn out black.

So, the best bet to take good nightshots of faraway subjects, is still to use a tripod. It has got nothing to do with the camera mode, it's a basic physics law. Night = little light = need to open shutter longer to let in more light = high chance of camera shake. It's just that simple.

So all you said, there's no way to shoot people on the night without a tripod?
I have another question, in 'Auto' mode. When I shoot, should I wait until the picture comes out of the LCD or after the 'beep' sound before I move the camera?

Originally posted by ewn
So all you said, there's no way to shoot people on the night without a tripod?
I have another question, in 'Auto' mode. When I shoot, should I wait until the picture comes out of the LCD or after the 'beep' sound before I move the camera?

Yes! If you are using a "Night Scene" mode, most probably that the camera is in a slow shutter speed mode.. maybe 0.5ms or 1sec or more, with this type of slow shutter speed, the ONLY solution is TRIPOD! Any shutter speed of value of 1/50 or slower, a tripod is recommended.

If you are only capturing ppl in a short range (as TWEEK has mentioned), then use the auto mode with flash should be ok but the background may be quite dark.

from my experience in using digicam, you do not need to wait for the picture to appeared on the LCD before you move.

Any experts wanna comment?

Status
Not open for further replies.