Canon S1 IS or Ixus 500?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinichi

Jun 20, 2004
Haven't make up my mind on these 2 digital cam ... but s1's 10X optical is good lo, pixel is 3.2 whereas Ixus 500 is 5.0. But how many megapix depends on how pic the photo u wan it o be printed. So normally 3.2 will serve the job well. if not wrong Ixus 500 doesn't have any freebies to come along and it cost a bit cheaper than the Canon S1. Image stabelizer is anther good feature for S1. Hmmm, hope to get some advice frm u guys.

Kinichi said:
Haven't make up my mind on these 2 digital cam ... but s1's 10X optical is good lo, pixel is 3.2 whereas Ixus 500 is 5.0. But how many megapix depends on how pic the photo u wan it o be printed. So normally 3.2 will serve the job well. if not wrong Ixus 500 doesn't have any freebies to come along and it cost a bit cheaper than the Canon S1. Image stabelizer is anther good feature for S1. Hmmm, hope to get some advice frm u guys.

Hi,
Well it all depends whether if need to have control over the camera, such as aperature, shuttle priority and manual control. I test-try S1 before and I'm quite happy with the fast zoom, focusing and IS. As for me, I would prefer S1 which I can have full control of the cam. Moreover my prints are mostly in 4R and 5R, so 3.2Mp will do the job. However if you are printing huge pictures and size of cam is a factor, Ixus 500 will be the choice.

Hope this is useful.
Thanks.

I would personally advise u against getting the S1 (if u have read my other thread). 3.2MP is such an old technology now, it should be rock stable in the eyes of the industry. Yet, in my case, 2 separate sets of the same camera managed to fail within a month.

This is my sixth compact digital camera, the S1-IS.
IMHO, it is the best of them all.
Very versatile and definitely alot of fun !

denari said:
I would personally advise u against getting the S1 (if u have read my other thread). 3.2MP is such an old technology now, it should be rock stable in the eyes of the industry. Yet, in my case, 2 separate sets of the same camera managed to fail within a month.
Perhaps u'd gotten a lemon?

Still, besides the megapixel draw, one shld consider other aspects of a camera that makes it work. The quality of the pictures, noise at high ISOs, speed, etc.

It's like simply throwing in a Turbo into a stock 1.3 Lancer GLXi and claiming that u've got the fastest car in Singapore when u did not install little addons that'll give ur car the maximum boost like changing the engine, installing a bodykit, replacing the stock tires, changing the brake callipers, etc, etc.

Yup, same goes with digital cameras. The Megapixel count is like adding a turbo into a car. The rest of the components are also crucial into the final top speed of the car. :)

S1 IS would be a good choice. But that is me.... :) The final decision is up to u.

Lemon or not, i have been very dissatisfied with not just their level of service but their distributor as well.
Hence, its come to my realisation that your money isn't just about buying their product. its also about buying their people. So for those who would expect to visit their service centre or anything that would need their aftersales support, i wish you the best of luck, or pray that your device doesnt fail you for the time of its lifespan.

By the way, it took me a hell lot of scrutinization and zooming to discover the stucked pixels. If you own an S1IS and have done long exposures already, do conduct a check. The asst. manager told me that remaps can be done but it doesn't guarantee that the problem will be eliminated. Sometimes even worsening the problem.

i just got the camera guys ... and i'm quite concern abt wat denari stated ... stucked pixels. Does this stucked pixels came up just after tt moment u finish taking a pic?

It varies from what i had experienced with the 2 units.
The original one came up within 3 days of usage.
First saw it on 4 night shots. Camera just booted up and not even
warmed yet (apparently from what i've read, cameras are more likely
to get stucked or even hot pixels by high temperatures, aka heated
up during usage, humid weather, etc.)

The 2nd one only exhibited the same problem about a month later.

Personally, this camera starts to feel really warm to the touch about
after 10-15shots or several minutes of continuous usage.

The key is doing long exposures.

And once the stucked pixel is there, its there for good. You either have to get it remapped at the service centre (free until end of the 1yr warranty) or like what most users do
1) correct via photoshop (lifecycle of imaging),
2) choose to ignore and live with it (eg. because maybe it isnt major enough to visually affect the pictures).

But overall, manufacturers recognise this as a problem and it is warranted for service/exchange depending on severity.
Even with that said, some users do not have this problem for the life of their equipment (doing super long exposures, eg. 2-5minutes)

they do one to one exchange rite? if during the first 7 days or wat?

cuz i think can be quite jia lat lo ...

end of the day choose ixus if you want to be able to keep your camera in your pocket.

Kinichi said:
they do one to one exchange rite? if during the first 7 days or wat?
exchange or not, it is dependent on which shop you bought it from.
some shops have the 7-day 1-to-1 policy whereas the others (in my case with World Cameras, Peninsula Plaza), said they are not obligated to exchange 1-to-1 EVEN if the camera is found to have faults the very next day.

Kinichi

the 10x zoom of S1 will let u take more faraway objects than ixus500 and abt the resolutions, 3.2mpixels is sufficient for printing 4R size.

simonth

Actually it depends on what the thread starter wants.

Small, compact, easy carrying: Ixus
Bigger, better quality, longer zoom: S1

Much as it is important, I don't think one's personal opinion on 'how sucky the product is becos [how many times the product] broke down on me so fast' is to persuade one off a single product.

NONE of the Canon products I'd owned, from Printers right to Camera had EVER BROKEN DOWN BEFORE. So I can say, "Canon products rock!" whilst my Sony Camera broke down on me after a single year of use and I say, "Sony products suck!"

One have to accept the fact that there'll always be manufacturing defects in a product along the production line. U get a lemon or not depends on your luck (in a way), not forgetting that the most important thing is to ensure good aftersales service from the shop and product manufacturer u'd brought it from.

simonth said:
Kinichi

the 10x zoom of S1 will let u take more faraway objects than ixus500 and abt the resolutions, 3.2mpixels is sufficient for printing 4R size.

simonth

well i got the s1 cuz it's able to zoom further which i think it will suit my europe trip very well ... btw do i need a tripod stand also?

Kinichi said:
well i got the s1 cuz it's able to zoom further which i think it will suit my europe trip very well ... btw do i need a tripod stand also?
Tripod?

It'll be good if u dun have strong biceps, triceps and quadriceps. :D

It'll definitely come in handy for those beautiful night shots and landscape shots. :)

I just cannot resist and got a set of S1 IS today.. Very funny when i am using the Image stabilizer.. When i am keeping my hand still in 10X zoom the image in the LCD moves by itseft leh.. too po :confused: werful liaoz hor??

Kinichi said:

If your shutter speed showing above 1/125 sec then I think it is quite ok
for handheld shots. Anyway your IS will come into play..?
But to play really safe...try taking more than one shot if you found a good
picture composition. Have fun !!

There's an option to fire multiple shots on the S1 I believe. Use that. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.