canon S1 and FZ 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

socrates

Jan 31, 2005
Do you think that the canon S1 can compare to the FZ 5 ? Both are about the same price. Comments please...thanks

I think Canon has nicer firmware - toys, like timp lapse, bulb mode, and panorama assist etc.

But I like Lumix better, coz it uses German lens (hee hee)

Any idea how the images of each camera compare with each other?

For me, I like S1 'zoomable' movie mode, VGA movie, AA batteries.
Dislike its look, weird and plasticky.

FZ5, its cute and professional looking, fast AF and sharp pic; the cons are S1 pros!

To me, Canon S1 kind of old. Movie mode though great but takes up a lot of space. But image quality is average (see DCRP and dpreview), only 3.2MP and is 100+ grams heavier than FZ5. But the battery life is very good.

I don't know why cnetasia.com put this camera above FZ20 in the best ultrazooms department.

Just get an FZ5, wad are you waiting for??? Btw if were to get a Cannon Proshot S1 I suggest you get an A95 instead, performance wise i think both roughly the same, but A95 5 megapixels. I got an A70, very reliable camera.

Canon S1? IMO, no point considering... kenna THRASHED by the FZ5!!

socrates said:
Any idea how the images of each camera compare with each other?

Found this statement from dpreview
"i would agree that the fz3 is somewhat sharper, but not by that large a margin. once the s1 images are sharpened, i think you'd be hard pressed to tell them apart. in many cases the additional noise negates it anyhow."

I think the difference at small print shouldn't be that great.

S1 IS has pretty good features, i.e. zoom, IS, AA batt, VGA movie etc. But it is the first camera in the new "S" series :sweat: I rather wait for the S2 or more likely, I will be getting the FZ5

The Canon just copy Panasonic and other competitor like KM Z5 as well as the other competitor Sony and its H1. IMO, FZ5 is still the best. It(S2) yet has the chubby and fat shape again.

actually love the competition before pana and canon...= more improvement
from the spec[s2] alone it already look awesome :bigeyes:

actually, the S2 has got a f/2.7-f.3.5
by the virtue of the fact that people lament that FZ5 can only hit 3.3 at max zoom, then this S2 should be condemned totally since it can't do as well at 3.5 at max zoom...

actually specs wise, the S2 is looking good compared with the FZ5. with digic II processor it should be very fast. let's see how's the image quality before passing any conclusion.

hmmm was looking at the full res photo provided of the flower..
DOF is amazing.. but.. anyone notice? the picture sure is noisy..
hmmmm i think slightly worse off than FZ3..
those picture.. look at the background near the front... looks kinda blotchy and noisy eh.. reminds me of the watercolour effect in PS some how...

hmmmmm would wanna see more photos...

LifeWorld said:
FZ5 has a match now!
Canon released S2 IS.

Wow, just when we are talking abt the ageing Canon S1... Canon comes out with this S2. Looking at the specifications, do you guys think that it beats the Pana FZ5 or even the FZ20? If only it has a Hotshoe... Why Canon gives it to the G5/G6 but exclude for this S1/S2 series...

The bubbly shape not to everyone's tatse right?

unseen said:
hmmm was looking at the full res photo provided of the flower..
DOF is amazing.. but.. anyone notice? the picture sure is noisy..
hmmmm i think slightly worse off than FZ3..
those picture.. look at the background near the front... looks kinda blotchy and noisy eh.. reminds me of the watercolour effect in PS some how...

hmmmmm would wanna see more photos...

It has the same CCD size as FZ5/20. So, at same 5mp pic, it is the Digic II that we are comparing with VEII. Hmm...who has better in-cam processing? :think:

So far, has not seen Canon's pic quality as good as Lumix..... not comparing with their dslr though!

Status
Not open for further replies.