Canon raw .THM file

Status
Not open for further replies.

zod

Mar 30, 2003
with every raw shot, canon gives 2 files
.CRW and .THM
what is the .THM file used for? thumbnail? if so, is it for thumbnail when viewed on the cam lcd?

is it ok to delete it when i transfer to comp?

yes its a thumbnail file..
its actually a really small jpg..

its the one used on LCD preview with the histrogram usually (for my case with the minolta 7hi..)

and yes, its safe to delete anytime..
the RAW won't get affected

the *.THM file can be viewed using the viewer bundled together with ur cam. other than wat was mentioned, it really has no purpose. IMO, its just taking up precious storage space. :p

if u like me using the 300D, u can try hacking it so dat u can change the size of the THM file. by default, its medium fine jpg. i hacked it to give me small normal jpg. gives me abt 30-40 shots more on my 1GB CF card.

I thought the THM files keeps your EXIF information ?

freelancer said:
I thought the THM files keeps your EXIF information ?

yup, IIRC the .CRW files does not have the EXIF info.

i hav e deleted the .thm files and my ps cs reads exif info just fine :)

i have "forced" ps cs to open the thm file and it is indeed, a small image. used by the cam to display on its lcd

anothing thing i found is that after deleting the .thm file, ps cs takes longer time to generate thumbnail and preview in the file browser
this makes sense as the thumbnail file is gone

no one actually knows the full answer? quite a lot of good guesses though.

erwinx said:
no one actually knows the full answer? quite a lot of good guesses though.

do u know?
share share lei...

And I recall reading somewhere that upon first entering a raw picture directory, CapturOne uses the THMs to draw quick thumbnails before regenerating from the CRWs.

Status
Not open for further replies.