Canon PowerShot S5 IS

Status
Not open for further replies.

RSSNewsRobot

Sep 27, 2006
canon_s5is.gif
Finally we have the update everyone had expected at PMA, the new PowerShot S5 IS. The S5 IS features an eight megapixel 1/2.5" (5.8 x 4.3 mm) CCD sensor and a twelve times Image Stabilized zoom lens. Unfortunately this lens, while offering long reach with its maximum 432 mm equiv. FOV doesn't improve at the wide end with the same 36 mm equiv. FOV as the S3 IS. Improvements include Face Detection (for AF, AE and Flash in shooting mode and red-eye removal in playback), a 2.5" LCD monitor (up on the S3 IS) and a flash hot-shoe.

More...

looks like a good update to the S3..

any idea when it will be launched in Sg?

Other than the flash hot-shoe, I really don't see any real improvement. A far cry from the Olympus and Sony offerings.

It is using DIGI III processor, higher ISO, Face Detection.

It is using DIGI III processor, higher ISO, Face Detection.

We'll see how it performs in the upcoming reviews. The flash hot-shoe is a nice touch though.

They have finally enlarge the LCD screen... but the EVF remains similar to S3IS. All in all, can be an interesting option.:)

canon badly need to improve on their noise man! it gets really ugly anything above 400

canon badly need to improve on their noise man! it gets really ugly anything above 400

From what my butt-naked eyes can see, they're still pretty alright. You should tell that to Lumix! :think:

But basing on specs alone, I think they've improved on what they need to improve (don't you just love the 2.5" swivel screen?)

For small-sized sensors, I'm not sure if DiGIC III is a real improvement over DiGIC II. Was doing research and deciding between G7 (DiGIC III) and A640 (DiGIC II) and several reviews seem to agree that DiGIII seems to have more aggressive noise reduction, meaning less noise at the expense of detail. The arguement was that at higher ISOs, the G7 produced cleaner pics but the A640 had more detail.

For such a small sensor, I'm somehow quite doubtful if higher ISOs will be of any use. But one things for sure, the inclusion of a hotshoe really opens up a lot more possibilities for night flash photography!

Gimme manual focus/zoom!

it has manual focus. just that its a painful window that barely tells you anything..

Status
Not open for further replies.