Canon Powershot S1 Is or 10d?

Status
Not open for further replies.

XPhantom

Sep 15, 2004
I am asking for opinions on which is better? There are about the same price now since I can get the 10D on Ebay for a little more than the S1 IS, but I am just learning photography. I have a Rebel 2000 film camera now and love it. I have two different lenses for the Rebel that would work with the 10D and a few filters so all I need is the body. Let me know what you think!

10D. Proportionally, it's more worthwhile as prices have dropped tremedously. But more importantly, if you are learning photography, you should be going for an SLR as it will provide you with more options.

Needless to say, the 10D is a far more superior camera. Only downside is the size and weight but I think it's a small compromise.

I think they are belong to 2 different cat, for me i will prefer 10d :D, SI no hotshoe :(

XPhantom said:
I am asking for opinions on which is better? There are about the same price now since I can get the 10D on Ebay for a little more than the S1 IS, but I am just learning photography. I have a Rebel 2000 film camera now and love it. I have two different lenses for the Rebel that would work with the 10D and a few filters so all I need is the body. Let me know what you think!

Photography wise, you can never go wrong with a DSLR. It's just that the cost and size turn off some people. The costs are recurring. New lenses, camera accessories (flash,remote,tripod,bag) etc.

Getting a S1 IS or any other prosumer, you may realise you outgrow it quite fast. I would say S1 IS would be a good backup camera or maybe for travelling if you're very concerned with size, but you lose out on the fast AF, high ISO usage and flexibility to change lenses.

The 10D has every shooting mode the prosumer's have, so you'll be able to learn photography with it just as well. If the cost is about the same, then get the 10D. My opinion. :)

The cost is not 'almost the same' - the 10D doesn't come with any lenses.

... oh, btw, i vote for the 10D too. No question about it.

I think they are 2 different class of cameras. You should compare apple to apple.

compact or dslr is not the important factor in my opinion. unless you are thinking of shooting wild life from a distant, eg birds, then you should go for dslr for there are lens that go all the way to 1200mm (extreme example). a compact digital like S1 IS should be good enough.

why do i say this, just go see "small arm big matter" photo exhib. lots of us who own dslr cant even come close to what the 4 have done with compact digital camera.

it only prove 1 thing, whats important is the photographer, not the eqpt.

denniskee said:
compact or dslr is not the important factor in my opinion. unless you are thinking of shooting wild life from a distant, eg birds, then you should go for dslr for there are lens that go all the way to 1200mm (extreme example). a compact digital like S1 IS should be good enough.

why do i say this, just go see "small arm big matter" photo exhib. lots of us who own dslr cant even come close to what the 4 have done with compact digital camera.

it only prove 1 thing, whats important is the photographer, not the eqpt.

Hmm...I think many have pointed this out in this forum. While no doubt any camera is capable of taking good photos and the S1 IS is certainly a good prosumer cam.

But a good camera like an SLR can help a photographer pick up better skills and improve his/her knowledge about photography. For example, with the option of a proper flash via a hotshoe, one can pick out other flash techniques. With the faster speed/responsiveness - camera (ISO, fps etc) and lens wise (mechanical zoom/focusing) shots can be taken which otherwise may not be possible from a prosumer.

The list goes on. And I think any good photographer would appreciate good gear and how it opens possibilities in expanding his/her techniques and composition options. While such photographers can adapt to any camera and may not necessarily need the latest and the best, certainly they would also not allow themselves to be limited by their equipment.

Other than for the purpose of point and shoot, Compact or DSLR is an important factor. And both the skills photographer followed by the equipment are critical in photography.

Why am i getting a deja vu feeling about this discussion? Anyway...

This IS an apple to apple comparison. The equaliser here is money. They may be very diffferent as cameras but the start and end point is the same: i'm going to pay about $xxxx for it, and i'm going to take pictures with it.

As for the 'it's the photog not the eqpt' line, well, you can't compare a competent photog on a compact with an idiot on a dSLR. With most decent photogs, the better equip does make a difference. Esp so between a compact and a dSLR. It only doesn't make a diff when you're extraordinarily gifted or extraordinarily hopeless.

Here there are different things that should have been taken into account:
1) Price - is not the same as you need decent lens for 10D that starts from 150-200$ to few K. If you want IS, for 10D you will pay min 300$ or more (75-300IS).
2) Quality (made, picture, handling) - 10D is another universe (dSLR, 6M pix, immediate response,...)
3) Flexibility - with 1S you have what you have (lenses). With 10D you can choose what you need (and pay :sweat: )

Thanks for the feedback. As for being different in price, I would agree that the DLSR is more expensive if I did not have two lenses already and some filters. I want the DSLR but space is an issue as I am going on vacation and just might want the compact camera. I will definetly get the 10d or maybe even a 1d mk2 when the price drops. My gut feeling was the 10d was better. Thanks for helping me out!

XPhantom said:
Thanks for the feedback. As for being different in price, I would agree that the DLSR is more expensive if I did not have two lenses already and some filters. I want the DSLR but space is an issue as I am going on vacation and just might want the compact camera. I will definetly get the 10d or maybe even a 1d mk2 when the price drops. My gut feeling was the 10d was better. Thanks for helping me out!

I would suggest a used or new 300D instead.

Reason its has most of the capabilites of a 10D, for so much less. It a cheap DSLR that wont blow a hole in ur pockets. a used will be $1500 or less i think. Price is very much similar to a PRO 1 prosumer digicam.

Secondly. u mention vacation and compact camera. 300D being light-weight compared to the 10D is certainly better to lug ard (w/o grip) on a vacation. If u get it with its kit 18-55 lens...that is a very good travel lens for ur landscapes and group shots during vacations. (and light weight too)

U may skip the External flash on vacations and use the internal flash if u need to PACK light and Travel light.

Coming from a Film SLR backgrd with 2 lense.. the path of the DSLR shld be easier for u.

Status
Not open for further replies.