Canon PowerShot G7

Status
Not open for further replies.
does the G7 have red-eye problems?

As quoted from dcresource website review abt the G7...

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/powershot_g7-review/index.shtml

"One thing that was a problem on the G7 was redeye. In fact, it's pretty awful. This is one area in which an external flash would really help..."

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/powershot_g7-review/redeye.jpg

But the build-quality of the G7 is really something... :)

Regards,
Eric

Is there a camera that does not have noise at ISO 800?
How often do we want to purposely take photos at ISO 800 when we do not need to?
How often do we take photos at ISO 800 that is unavoidable? Ever heard of small tripod?

Can noise ninja help? If yes, then what is the issue.

The red eye is part of the design as the flash is near to the level of the lens.
If the built-in flash is set far away and above the lens level, then the camera is gawky, huge and unwieldy.

Anyway red-eye is when the first flash shot is fired to subject before the subject's eye is accustomed to flash light level. If you take subsequent shots, then the subject's iris would have closed.

ACDSee has one click red eye removal.
I suppose many other software too.

The flash is useful for many other photos and it is good they kept the whole G7 package small.

If you have the need, then fit on Canon digital external flash on TTL hot shoe. The offset will reduce red-eye.

I just got myself a G7 too!! Now waiting for the battery to charge before usage. Just discovered that the battery for my S30 can be used with the G7. Got it at MS without Cleaning kit nor bag though... :(

I want to get the PSC-5000 Case.... Does anyone know where to get it?

How many G7 users are active here? Just wondering....

Is there a camera that does not have noise at ISO 800?
How often do we want to purposely take photos at ISO 800 when we do not need to?
How often do we take photos at ISO 800 that is unavoidable? Ever heard of small tripod?

Can noise ninja help? If yes, then what is the issue.

The flash is useful for many other photos and it is good they kept the whole G7 package small.

If you have the need, then fit on Canon digital external flash on TTL hot shoe. The offset will reduce red-eye.

In real life, indoor / at night without flash, most of the time we need ISO 800 and ISO 1600. But for me ISO 800 of G7 is unusable, therefore, indoor I always use external flash. So for G7 case (as well as other compacts, except Fuji F30/31fd), external flash for indoor is a must.

Noise Ninja, Neat Image, etc, remove noise, but cannot help the lost detail, color, and dynamic range.

ACDSee is commercial software, you can try FastStone which good and free.

Schietgraagpiet said:
I want to get the PSC-5000 Case.... Does anyone know where to get it?

For me, I just bought normal belt pouch from John Little (SGD 15.-), fit G7 nicely (a bit tight but works for me), with extra pocket for battery and SD card. The pouch can be insert in and out the belt without having to open the belt.

IMG_2143.jpg

IMG_2144.jpg

For the G7's iso 800 and 1600, it's about as noisy as my old A70's iso 400, so for my case I already have a larger usable iso range to play with, not much complaints. If we are not printing large sizes, full 10.1mp at iso 1600 can be resized to a smaller dimension, which should reduce the noise and provide enough detail. If the noise level is as low as DSLR, I think it will hurt their DSLR sales.

To Schietgraagpiet, you might want to try Lowepro bags. I got the DRes-8 for my A70 back then, now it still fits the G7. Not sure if you can find similar size pouches now, can go to Cathay Photo to have a look.

Hey guys, thanks for your suggestions. I sent and email to Canon asking where I could find the PSC-5000. They told me it costs 29 bucks and can't get it somewhere in Funan.

After closer examination of the bag on this site: http://www.w4rmk.com/canon/G7/shootout.asp
I decided to get a Crumpler, because the Canon bag doesn't have a strap. I got "The Bundle" Medium, which makes a nice fit for the G7! I am able to stuff in an extra SD card and battery. So this makes my third Crumpler bag, all in black!

b232_o2.jpg

b232_o10221_ai350.jpg

I still haven't been able to do some decent shooting, mostly too busy and the bad weather.

I have question for the G7 users, what SD card are you guys using and what performance are you experiencing?

In real life, indoor / at night without flash, most of the time we need ISO 800 and ISO 1600. But for me ISO 800 of G7 is unusable, therefore, indoor I always use external flash. So for G7 case (as well as other compacts, except Fuji F30/31fd), external flash for indoor is a must.

hey uncle, could you compare the dynamic range of G7 versus F11 at low ISO?
try to shoot a cityscape/building at night.

Gonna get the G7 tomorrow probably. Alan Photo Funan shld be having the best price right? I wanted for extra battery & I hope they sell (bundled) it cheaper. Might bring a friend to buy it also & maybe get 2 for a cheaper price. :D

Thanks for the information, Schietgraagpiet.
I'm also looking for the Canon bag: SC-DC50 Case. Does anybody here see this somewhere in Singapore?

Thanks for the information, Schietgraagpiet.
I'm also looking for the Canon bag: SC-DC50 Case. Does anybody here see this somewhere in Singapore?

Hi Sub,

I would advise you to email to canon sg (there is a form on their website) with your question. They will probably reply within a few days. Can you share with us once you find out the info from Canon? Thanks!

how does the G7 compare with F31fd in terms of high ISO at 1600 and 3200? it seems that F31 is way better than G7, i am glad i forgo the G7.

I saw G7 in Alan Photo yesterday, at SGD 880.- (without bargaining).

Overall, pretty fast start up and response, smaller than the previous Gs, nice black retro look, and no lens cap :D

Will bring my SD card, and try it out one day...

I've been looking for compact with hot shoe (already have Canon flash), and good movie capability (very important for me). So far G7 is the best choice. I hate the pixel increase, I wish they stick with 6-7 Mp with better noise profile. But well, let's see how good is G7 at ISO 400 (I don't expect more than a good ISO 400). No RAW is another drawback, but I can live with it (I love RAW though ;) ).

Waiting for the reviews now :)

For those who has tried and have sample pics, please post here ;)

Thanks! :)

how does the G7 compare with F31fd in terms of high ISO at 1600 and 3200? it seems that F31 is way better than G7, i am glad i forgo the G7.

ISO 400 at G7 it's pretty noisy.
ISO 800 at G7 simply can't make it IMO.

If you u often shoot indoor or night shooting go for f31fd. my 2 cents.

Hi everyone here, I'm new here. Also new in photographing. Recently I bought a G7 too. A friend of mine is going down to Singapore next week. I would like to get some accessories for G7.

Any recommedation on , which I should get? and where I can get good deal? Everything is expensive in Malaysia.

Initial Plan is to get a Adapter and Filter (maybe UV and Close-Up) . Need advice from anyone here. Anyone?

Hi everyone here, I'm new here. Also new in photographing. Recently I bought a G7 too. A friend of mine is going down to Singapore next week. I would like to get some accessories for G7.

Any recommedation on , which I should get? and where I can get good deal? Everything is expensive in Malaysia.

Initial Plan is to get a Adapter and Filter (maybe UV and Close-Up) . Need advice from anyone here. Anyone?

i got this from Cathay Photo few days back
-Wide-converter (0.75x) WC-DC58B @S$170.00
-Adapter ring is required for this attachment Model LA-DC 58H @S$36.00

And this from Alan Photo
-3rd party Wide-Converter for G7:S$80

ISO 400 at G7 it's pretty noisy.
ISO 800 at G7 simply can't make it IMO.

If you u often shoot indoor or night shooting go for f31fd. my 2 cents.

Any pics of G7 at ISO 400, 800 and 1600.

:eek: I was thinking of getting the G7. Seemed like Fuji is a better choice now.. :confused:

Did anyone compare the G7 with A710IS ? Since other than the sensor itself, most of the spec seem to be quite close.

Status
Not open for further replies.